Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hardware info:

Intel Core i5 M 450 (Arrandale) @ 2.40GHz, Socket 989 rPGA
Northbridge Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge rev. 02
Southbridge Intel HM57 rev. 05
Memory Type DDR3 PC3-10700 (667MHz)
Memory Size 4096 MBytes

We had an extra one of these laptops at work with a bad wireless module and no HDD, so I threw a 120gb in there (from another spare parts laptop) and installed retail Snow Leopard using iboot/multibeast.

First, I followed the standard iboot instructions with one exception, safe mode (-x). After installation of 10.6.3 Retail, the OS 'worked' (Intel integrated graphics stuck at 1024x768, but usb, keyboard, mouse/trackpad, audio, ethernet, firewire all working). Then I opened (but didn't run) multibeast, ran the 10.6.8 combo update, ran multibeast (selected easybeast + system utilities) and rebooted - bootloader couldn't launch it, iBoot couldn't launch it, kernel panics. Using safe mode (-x) just results in the apple logo and loading wheel spinning infinitely (it never stops animating).

I took a second try and this time followed the Sandy Bridge instructions. I could reboot into the OS after running multibeast but following the 10.6.8 combo update after that, I'm back to only being able to achieve the spinning wheel. I did read that running updates often breaks OS X on laptops.

Any ideas what I should try (or read) next?

lufusol said:
Hardware info:

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

We had an extra one of these laptops at work with a bad wireless module and no HDD, so I threw a 120gb in there (from another spare parts laptop) and installed retail Snow Leopard using iboot/multibeast.

First, I followed the standard iboot instructions with one exception, safe mode (-x). After installation of 10.6.3 Retail, the OS 'worked' (Intel integrated graphics stuck at 1024x768, but usb, keyboard, mouse/trackpad, audio, ethernet, firewire all working). Then I opened (but didn't run) multibeast, ran the 10.6.8 combo update, ran multibeast (selected easybeast + system utilities) and rebooted - bootloader couldn't launch it, iBoot couldn't launch it, kernel panics. Using safe mode (-x) just results in the apple logo and loading wheel spinning infinitely (it never stops animating).

I took a second try and this time followed the Sandy Bridge instructions. I could reboot into the OS after running multibeast but following the 10.6.8 combo update after that, I'm back to only being able to achieve the spinning wheel. I did read that running updates often breaks OS X on laptops.

i have the sam laptop Hp pro book 6550b and i can't get 10.6.7 working ;=( only i can instal 10.6.3 but than my usb is not working how did you get it working?

my audio and lag ar working ;=) but no W/lan and usb and that suck because i want to instal lion i need usb can you help?

thanks

I have a 6360b with similar specs, but the exact same issue...

i5-2410 Sandy Bridge processor Socket 988B rPGA
North Bridge Intel Sandy Bridge Rev 09
South Bridge Intel HM65
DDR3 4 GB

I used the retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install disc with iBoot. Everything that you mentioned worked upon boot from iBoot disc except for audio (that was a garbled high pitched mess). I had to copy the "Extra" contents from the iBoot disc into the "Extra" folder of the HDD to get it to boot from the hard drive. Once I tried to do the update to 10.6.8 using the combo update method for the Sandy Bridge processors I was came across the same problem where the Apple logo would appear followed by a progress bar and spinning wheel. After some time the computer would bootloop back to the HP screen and repeat. At that point, I attempted to use iBoot, but to achieve the same results.

I'm sure our issues can be resolved similarly, I just wish I had the slightest clue how! I'd like to attempt Lion if I can get a working Snow Leopard.

Hardware info:

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

Hi! I have a problem with iBoot. I cannot launch it: timed out still waiting for root device. Boot from USB Original Mac OS Snow Leopard. Tried some things from other topic: -x I'm a noob with this things but tried different boot commands. How did you install it? Can you make a easy tutorial? I cannot find one :\ Thanks! (PS I want only 10.6.7 or something if it is working) Same Notebook

I have a 6360b with similar specs, but the exact same issue...

i5-2410 Sandy Bridge processor Socket 988B rPGA
North Bridge Intel Sandy Bridge Rev 09
South Bridge Intel HM65
DDR3 4 GB

I used the retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install disc with iBoot. Everything that you mentioned worked upon boot from iBoot disc except for audio (that was a garbled high pitched mess). I had to copy the "Extra" contents from the iBoot disc into the "Extra" folder of the HDD to get it to boot from the hard drive. Once I tried to do the update to 10.6.8 using the combo update method for the Sandy Bridge processors I was came across the same problem where the Apple logo would appear followed by a progress bar and spinning wheel. After some time the computer would bootloop back to the HP screen and repeat. At that point, I attempted to use iBoot, but to achieve the same results.

I'm sure our issues can be resolved similarly, I just wish I had the slightest clue how! I'd like to attempt Lion if I can get a working Snow Leopard.

To All who posted w issues - not sure is all of the CPU that you are using are Sandy Bridge but if they are you will need to use
an additional program from the TMX86 download section Update Helper - and follow these modified instructions,
Again this only works for systems w Sandy Bridge CPUs Gen one and Ivy Bridge do not use this.

How to do a sandybridge cpu w compatable hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3 (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.7 , DO NOT reboot
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board and run System Utilities.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Note if you do not have a DSDT then you will need to do your Multibeast selections based on what chips and options you have - making a DSDT file can be done in windows before or even in OSX
Tony has a guide for making your DSDT file.

Hope this helps

PS my choice is to use 10.6.7 instead of 10.6.8 less headaches in fact you can use the 10.6.6 combo update if you want
also their is a MBP special 10.6.7 combo update which sometimes helps ( made for MBP systems )

Hardware info:

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

Hello,
Could you tell me how you get the mouse working at first installation?
During install proces you have to select Disk utility but the mouse (standard wired on USB2.0) isn't moving. How can this be solved because i'am not able to format the HDD and go an with the install. Please help. (I have the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD and use iboot 3.3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back