Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4540s with i5-2450

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used "SwithResX" to set the resolution of the internal display to 1920x1080.

Before the newest Probook-Installer, I have set up everything with beta 9 of the Installer.
I just tried to install the
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext out of my backup, but the behavior is as before.

I don't think, it's related, but I've installed a Atheros ARB195 Wifi&Bluetooth Card before the Installation of the new beta (sure I've deleted my SST before).

I used "SwithResX" to set the resolution of the internal display to 1920x1080.

I still don't get it. SwitchResX is software. How can software magically make a 1366x768 display run 1920x1080. Please explain. I just can't wrap my head around that one.

Before the newest Probook-Installer, I have set up everything with beta 9 of the Installer.
I just tried to install the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext out of my backup, but the behavior is as before.

I don't think, it's related, but I've installed a Atheros ARB195 Wifi&Bluetooth Card before the Installation of the new beta (sure I've deleted my SST before).

I don't think it is related either. Maybe try a fresh install (you can even do so to a spare partition) and see if the behavior is any different.

And when you install AppleIntelSNBGrahicsFB.kext from 'Installer Backups' make sure it is one that is NOT patched. You can usually tell by the (lack of) coloring.

I don't know exactly, but in SwithResX you have the option to set the resolution of the internal display to 1080p. Then, the resolution got applied and everything is smaller on the internal display (basically it's 1080p but shrinked to fit the screen).

And maybe a dumb question: But where can I find the unpatched, original
AppleIntelSNBGrahicsFB.kext? I just have a green-colored one in the backups.

Additionally a question concerning my new wifi&bluetooth card: I have a Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I've linked to my Probook. But, when I start the laptop and start typing, there is a latency before the letters got to the screen (don't know exactly how to describe it...). So, but when I deactivate and activate Wifi, the latency disappears and everything works fine as it should. Is there any patch or so I can install that the latency isn't there from beginning?

I don't know exactly, but in SwithResX you have the option to set the resolution of the internal display to 1080p. Then, the resolution got applied and everything is smaller on the internal display (basically it's 1080p but shrinked to fit the screen).

So it is setting the graphics chip frame buffer to 1920x1080 and then some hardware down the line is scaling it to 1366x768.

And maybe a dumb question: But where can I find the unpatched, original
AppleIntelSNBGrahicsFB.kext? I just have a green-colored one in the backups.

I posted one here a while back: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/95132-questions-about-bios-update-2.html#post589238

Additionally a question concerning my new wifi&bluetooth card: I have a Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I've linked to my Probook. But, when I start the laptop and start typing, there is a latency before the letters got to the screen (don't know exactly how to describe it...). So, but when I deactivate and activate Wifi, the latency disappears and everything works fine as it should. Is there any patch or so I can install that the latency isn't there from beginning?

I'm surprised it works that well... But don't know what to tell you other than the Atheros AR3xxx BT firmware/hardware is pretty much a disaster except for a limited set of devices. I had an Apple BT keyboard here the other day (a friend was here with her iPad) and for grins I connected it to my ProBook. It 'worked' (as in connected) but I got tons of both missed and repeated keys.

Yes, the keyboard is working really well after Wifi disable/enable. Really strange...

And I tried installing the original AppleIntel(...).kext but without success. The full resolution got only applied when I set the external monitor as a second desktop but not when I enable mirroring.

Yes, the keyboard is working really well after Wifi disable/enable. Really strange...

Issue of conflicting radio channel?

And I tried installing the original AppleIntel(...).kext but without success. The full resolution got only applied when I set the external monitor as a second desktop but not when I enable mirroring.

If your second monitor is 1080p, but your internal is 768p, you're only going to get 'full resolution' on the external monitor with mirroring off. Because your internal display cannot do 1080p. When you mirror you get 768p (resolution both displays can do). That's how I understand it works... and, to me, it seems logical.

I cannot test here, as my laptop and external monitor are both capable of 1080p, so when I mirror I get 1080p...

Issue of conflicting radio channel?

Yes, maybe, I will try, maybe I find a solution.

If your second monitor is 1080p, but your internal is 768p, you're only going to get 'full resolution' on the external monitor with mirroring off. Because your internal display cannot do 1080p. When you mirror you get 768p (resolution both displays can do). That's how I understand it works... and, to me, it seems logical.

But before repatching my DSST using the newest probook installer, the mirroring worked fine as it should. So the Desktop got stretched to fill the full resolution. It's very weird...

But before repatching my DSST using the newest probook installer, the mirroring worked fine as it should. So the Desktop got stretched to fill the full resolution. It's very weird...

What do you mean by 'Desktop got stretched to fill the full resolution'? Are you talking about your external monitor? If so, look at the settings on the monitor itself. My Dell u2410 has options for what to do with resolutions smaller than native (fill, stretch, keep aspect, etc).

Before, I could plug-in the external monitor and just checked the option to display the same as on the internal laptop screen. So, I did have not to set up anything like the resolution or something like fill, stretch etc. It was just like plug & play.

Before, I could plug-in the external monitor and just checked the option to display the same as on the internal laptop screen. So, I did have not to set up anything like the resolution or something like fill, stretch etc. It was just like plug & play.

If you really think it is something with DSDT patches, remove the DSDT and boot without DSDT installed. Then you have system BIOS DSDT (unpatched). Test your scenario... is it any different?

You can install DSDT again by selecting the DSDT options in the ProBook Installer and allowing it to again create a patched DSDT.

From my perspective, what you describe is normal, and you should be looking at the settings on your monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back