Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have grappled with wifi issues on my Probook 4530s 10.9 since day one.(10.7) The BT/wifi combo card Atheros 9285 seemed vulnerable from the start, because my console logs generated the "ATHR: unknown locale: 60" regardless if it connected or didn't. I've spent considerable time researching this in spite of my limited code knowledge and finally adopted an "I don't care" attitude. Meaning, I didn't care if I made my Probook a ProBrick. My journey has come full circle, and I still don't care if I make it a Probrick.

I removed the AR9285 and taped off pins 8 & 9, disabling BT. (apologies I can't locate the jpeg)

If you search through the posts, looking only for wifi issues with the AR9285, you will find numerous entries that seem to dead end. In my case, a suggestion to burn the wifi chip EEPROM seemed the only solution. (still working on it) Concurrently, I was troubleshooting why my BIOS was locked. I never set a password and after numerous tries I figured it would be good to contact HP directly. (amazingly fast service, btw) I was given a SMC.BIN that keyed exactly to my machine. Once I returned the BIOS to factory defaults things started to change. Especially when I removed "soagent". My console log output still has "ATHR: unknown locale: 60", but it also is locating the wifi channels 1-11 and seems content. (for the time being)

I want to emphasize, Tonymacx86 is amazing, the information is flowing and useful. Thank you.

While I crave to know more, especially about networking and security, I also feel overwhelmed by the intricacies of interdependence and obfuscation a seasoned programmer can employ. When the Probook would lose connectivity I would scour the logs, looking for clues. Hours of useless searching. But I never realized the BIOS was locked until two days ago. Was this the bug? can anyone illuminate?

I have grappled with wifi issues on my Probook 4530s 10.9 since day one.(10.7) The BT/wifi combo card Atheros 9285 seemed vulnerable from the start, because my console logs generated the "ATHR: unknown locale: 60" regardless if it connected or didn't. I've spent considerable time researching this in spite of my limited code knowledge and finally adopted an "I don't care" attitude. Meaning, I didn't care if I made my Probook a ProBrick. My journey has come full circle, and I still don't care if I make it a Probrick.

I removed the AR9285 and taped off pins 8 & 9, disabling BT. (apologies I can't locate the jpeg)

If you search through the posts, looking only for wifi issues with the AR9285, you will find numerous entries that seem to dead end. In my case, a suggestion to burn the wifi chip EEPROM seemed the only solution. (still working on it) Concurrently, I was troubleshooting why my BIOS was locked. I never set a password and after numerous tries I figured it would be good to contact HP directly. (amazingly fast service, btw) I was given a SMC.BIN that keyed exactly to my machine. Once I returned the BIOS to factory defaults things started to change. Especially when I removed "soagent". My console log output still has "ATHR: unknown locale: 60", but it also is locating the wifi channels 1-11 and seems content. (for the time being)

I want to emphasize, Tonymacx86 is amazing, the information is flowing and useful. Thank you.

While I crave to know more, especially about networking and security, I also feel overwhelmed by the intricacies of interdependence and obfuscation a seasoned programmer can employ. When the Probook would lose connectivity I would scour the logs, looking for clues. Hours of useless searching. But I never realized the BIOS was locked until two days ago. Was this the bug? can anyone illuminate?

By "BIOS unlocked" you mean HP helped you reset the password? Or something else?

easy solution, and time saving one is to try a different wifi card, maybe get one directly from hp. it might cost a bit more than ebay, at least you have a reliable source.

what exact card do you have and where did you get it from?

you can post a pic with close up of the chips.

a while back in the early days, there was discussion about wifi cards.

use search. hope it helps.

Hi RM, yes, they game me the SMC.BIN which allowed me to open BIOS. It had been locked because I didn't know the PW. I never set a PW. Anyway, this computer is the one I am connected to internet with. Long time since I've been able to use wifi. Immediate changes as soon as I went through settings, setting to default factory.

easy solution, and time saving one is to try a different wifi card, maybe get one directly from hp. it might cost a bit more than ebay, at least you have a reliable source.

Good suggestion.

Chip used is the same AR9285 suggested by users guide. Not sure about getting it from HP though.

a while back in the early days, there was discussion about wifi cards.

use search. hope it helps.

yes, used a lot of search

Hi again,

Well after some research I've concluded that somewhere in my travels I got Pwned. The rub for me was the Bluetooth. I am not by any means smart enough to outfox the culprit, but erasing my HD (7 pass 0's) and a clean install of the OS has made my machine freaking awesome. Well, that and taping off my BT contacts on the AR9285 chip. I've ordered a new dual band for my 4350s without the BT. I never use BT.

I still see the "ATHR: unknown locale: 60", but it also sees the US country code and Channels 1-11. So I think it's solved for my purposes. Don't know if that is something useful or not, but I thought I'd let it be known.

Thanks for this website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back