Contribute
Register

HP Probook 450 G1 - OSX Mavericks Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick update on the strange issue I was having when performing a restart.

I switched the default boot partition to Windows (via org.chamelon.Bootplist) while I was applying all the damn Windows updates. Anyway, in between updates I was goofying around in OSX and decided to try restart again and see what happened.

The display turns off like it did before but this time after 15 seconds or so I hear the Windows startup sound. So, the restart does in fact work but for some reason the display is turned off and doesn't come back on. The FN + dim controls didn't do anything so I decided to plug in an external monitor via HDMI and got video on my external display. I login and try changing resolutions/mirror mode/whatever in the display options in an attempt to get the laptop LCD to turn back on but have no luck. If I put the machine to sleep and wake it up the laptop LCD turns back on.

If I leave the default boot partition my OSX one the display does turn itself back on the OSX login screen but you don't see the splash screen or anything else before that which is what leading me to believe it was just sleeping and returning from sleep state in the first place.

Just a quick update on the strange issue I was having when performing a restart.

I switched the default boot partition to Windows (via org.chamelon.Bootplist) while I was applying all the damn Windows updates. Anyway, in between updates I was goofying around in OSX and decided to try restart again and see what happened.

The display turns off like it did before but this time after 15 seconds or so I hear the Windows startup sound. So, the restart does in fact work but for some reason the display is turned off and doesn't come back on. The FN + dim controls didn't do anything so I decided to plug in an external monitor via HDMI and got video on my external display. I login and try changing resolutions/mirror mode/whatever in the display options in an attempt to get the laptop LCD to turn back on but have no luck. If I put the machine to sleep and wake it up the laptop LCD turns back on.

If I leave the default boot partition my OSX one the display does turn itself back on the OSX login screen but you don't see the splash screen or anything else before that which is what leading me to believe it was just sleeping and returning from sleep state in the first place.

So it is an issue of BIOS not initializing the state of graphics... Same with CSM off vs. on?

So it is an issue of BIOS not initializing the state of graphics... Same with CSM off vs. on?

I was in legacy mode. I just tried the hybrid with CSM on and it does the same thing. I can't boot with CSM off yet as I'm not capable of booting EFI and haven't done that before. So I'll have to do some research into how to set that up. Is this recommended?

I was in legacy mode. I just tried the hybrid with CSM on and it does the same thing. I can't boot with CSM off yet as I'm not capable of booting EFI and haven't done that before. So I'll have to do some research into how to set that up. Is this recommended?

Yeah, you can't do CSM off unless you're using Clover.

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Yeah, you can't do CSM off unless you're using Clover.

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Yes, I'm running 01.05 which is the latest according to HP's site. Clover is an alternate boot loader correct? Is it simply I install it and turn off CSM or will I need to rebuild my partitions to and reinstall the OS? I'm not very familiar with UEFI and this is my first machine to have it.

Is booting with Clover going to potentially fix other problems or is it simply just an alternate boot loader?

Yes, I'm running 01.05 which is the latest according to HP's site. Clover is an alternate boot loader correct? Is it simply I install it and turn off CSM or will I need to rebuild my partitions to and reinstall the OS? I'm not very familiar with UEFI and this is my first machine to have it.

Read here to get a feel for Clover: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

No need to re-install... in fact, you can setup Clover on a USB and boot UEFI to the USB to test things out. It is even possible to have both bootloaders installed as they install to different places and you can choose via F9 BIOS boot device selection whether to boot legacy or UEFI.

Wow, clover is pretty intimidating. I have it installed but it's not working correctly just yet.. I can still boot via Chameleon though.

First, my DSDT has all those patches applied from the guide. Should I be still using those or revert to my original?

Second, I have no SSDT.aml as it was combined into the DSDT via iasl into my DSDT. Or at least i thought that was what "iasl -e SSDT*.aml -d SSDT.aml" was doing? Do I need to split these up again?

Note: SSDT generator in PBI doesn't work for me and returns a failed message when I run it. So I just extracted all 8 from Ubuntu.

Third, my Windows install was detected by Clover but it won't boot either. It shows some Windows logo (assuming part of the Clover theme) and just sits there. The guide you linked to doesn't really give Windows instructions to migrate but only new install. Does this mean I have to reinstall Windows? Or is it simply I need to copy a NTFS file system driver into my EFI/Clover partition?

Lastly, just glancing at this guide on how to install UEFI Windows.. Is this just for systems that can't revert to legacy or enable CSM? Or is there a reason why I should actually install Windows in this fashion?

If I revert to legacy or just turn CSM on to boot from save a Ubuntu liveCD/USB are there any reprocustions if I read/write from my other file systems? Or just anything I should be aware of?

Sorry if I'm asking silly questions but I don't quite understand all the complexities of UEFI.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Wow, Clover is intimidating!

I managed to install it but can't seem to figure out how to configure the injector for the Intel 4600 chip. Also, it fixed my restart issue but sleep no longer functions. EDIT: Restart was working but now it has the same strange behavior as before where the display goes out and doesn't come back until the OSX login screen CSM on/off same thing..

Using Clover Configurator I added
Checkbox to Inject Intel
and put "0600260a" into the ig-platform-id which matched the value from IntelAzulFB=12

Am I missing something? EDIT: Figured it out.. Need to add the leading 0x making it 0x026a006"

Also the migrate instructions say:

- Copy patched DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml created by PBI from /Extra folder to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- Extract config.plist from config.zip and copy it to /EFI/Clover/
- Copy HFSPlus.efi and HPFanReset.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ from your USB to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ in EFI partition, remove VBoxHfs-64.efi

My DSDT.aml contains my SSDT.aml via iasl -e SSDT*.aml -d DSDT.aml.. So should I break them apart and keep them separate or does this not matter?

Where is this "config.zip"? Is it part of PBI?

I googled and found HFSPlus.efi but was this suppose to be included in Clover's install or extracted somewhere?

"Copy HFSPlus.efi and HPFanReset.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ from your USB" <-- What is USB? Is this a reference to making a USB Mavericks installer?

It list Windows as a boot option in Clover but it fires up Chameleon rather than actually booting. Is there a migration solution or do I have to reinstall Windows using Install Windows UEFI as dual boot guide?

I managed to install it but can't seem to figure out how to configure the injector for the Intel 4600 chip. Also, it fixed my restart issue but sleep no longer functions.

Sleep doesn't work unless you have working graphics drivers...

You need to inject ig-platform-id 0x0a260006 (equivalent to IntelAzulFB=12 in Chameleon).

Checkbox to Inject Intel
and put "0600260a" into the ig-platform-id which matched the value from IntelAzulFB=12[

Am I missing something? EDIT: Figured it out.. Need to add the leading 0x making it 0x060026a"

See above. You have the bytes mixed up...

- Copy patched DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml created by PBI from /Extra folder to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- Copy HFSPlus.efi and HPFanReset.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ from your USB to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ in EFI partition, remove VBoxHfs-64.efi

My DSDT.aml contains my SSDT.aml via iasl -e SSDT*.aml -d DSDT.aml.. So should I break them apart and keep them separate or does this not matter?

Your DSDT does not "contain" your SSDT. Using the '-e' param when disassembling the DSDT just gives iasl more information so it can do a better job with the disassembly. Also, the SSDT being discussed here is the SSDT for CPU that was generated by the ProBook Installer and has nothing to do with the OEM SSDTs.

It is in the download package in post #1 of the Clover guide.

I googled and found HFSPlus.efi but was this suppose to be included in Clover's install or extracted somewhere?

"Copy HFSPlus.efi and HPFanReset.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ from your USB" <-- What is USB? Is this a reference to making a USB Mavericks installer?

See above. You can find HFSPlus.efi also in the download package. The USB referred to is the USB that was created when you made a Clover installer (read the whole post so you understand the whole Clover process). In the case of migration, you will not have that USB, but by reading how that USB was created, you'll know where the files come from.

It list Windows as a boot option in Clover but it fires up Chameleon rather than actually booting. Is there a migration solution or do I have to reinstall Windows using Install Windows UEFI as dual boot guide?

You will need to re-install Windows in UEFI mode or re-install the Windows boot files (boot record, etc.) to avoid entering Chameleon.

I managed to install it but can't seem to figure out how to configure the injector for the Intel 4600 chip. Also, it fixed my restart issue but sleep no longer functions. EDIT: Restart was working but now it has the same strange behavior as before where the display goes out and doesn't come back until the OSX login screen CSM on/off same thing..

Using Clover Configurator I added
Checkbox to Inject Intel
and put "0600260a" into the ig-platform-id which matched the value from IntelAzulFB=12

Am I missing something? EDIT: Figured it out.. Need to add the leading 0x making it 0x060026a"

The correct config is 0x0a260006

It's in the guide:

Code:
You can download the latest Clover files here:
[URL]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/083x2j1mvmfh4l9/ZSYm2_iQRf[/URL]

The Clover usb in step 1

It's normal for Legacy boot option in Clover. To boot directly to Legacy Windows, you have to find a way to overwrite Chameleon bootloader by Windows Boot Record, or reinstall Windows UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back