Contribute
Register

HP Probook 450 G1 - OSX Mavericks Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we use MacbookAir 6,2 instead?

I don't think it makes much difference. The best match is MacBookPro11,2 as it is a match for CPU+laptop (MacBookAir is a 'U' CPU).

But using MBP11,2 is a bit tricky as you need to have the special update to 10.9.1 for the MBP11,2 to be able to boot it with Clover (Chameleon will boot it regardless). Or hack the PlatformSupport.plist and grab the <board-id>.plist from X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources from a working MBP11,2 install...

I would guess that a future version of OS X will support directly MacBookPro11,2 smbios.

Wescotte said:
Booting of the USB to the Mavericks installer doesn't always work. Sometimes it just hangs on the splash screen spinning for 5mins or so and I just reboot again. I'd say this happens maybe 1 in 5 times
This is why you use the boot flags.

Which specific boot flags?

"IGPEnabler=N GraphicsEnabler=N -x -v -f UseKernelCache=N dart=0" Should be used even when booting into the Mavericks installer? That is where it would hang sometimes (maybe 1 in 5 boots) for me on the Apple splash screen.

I extracted my DSDT+SSDT and made the following patches this guide and this post suggest. Now i have sound, working sleep, and display is dims. I've attached my original and patched DSDT if anybody is curious.

IRQ Fix
Audio Layout 12
Rename GFX0 --- just the top not VID and AGP1 sections
Brightness Fix (Haswell)
Fix _WAK Arg0 v1
Battery - HP Probook 4x0s G1 --- which appears to be slightly different than the one this guide recommends. Is one better than the other?

and finally manually adjusted
From: DefinitionBlock ("dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 2, "HPQOEM", "1942 ", 0x00000001)
To: DefinitionBlock ("dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 2, "HPQOEM", "1680 ", 0x00000001)

Couple of questions...
Apple->Restart appears to just sleep (for about 15-45 seconds) and return itself from sleep and not actually restart the system. Can this be corrected?

What exactly is "1942" -> "1680" doing? I noticed mine is "1942 " with extra trailing spaces. Does whitespace matter inside the literals on a DSDT?

I prefer to manually put my machine to sleep instead of having it automatically sleep on lid close. I noticed this functionally is added in the "Brightness Fix". I'm not experienced enough modifying DSDTs to be able to decipher what part of the patch does what. Could somebody maybe help me disable the sleep on closed lid?

What is the difference between Audio Layout 12 and Audio Layout 12 Advanced?

Lastly, I'm interested in learning what some of these patches do in more detail. If you're willing to elaborate on what "IRQ Fix", "Fix _WAK Arg0 v1" are actually doing? Also, what is the significance of "Rename GFX0"? Is this just because OSX uses a different identifier?

Thanks again for everything! Once my broadcom chip arrives I think my machine will be pretty much all set!

Attachments

• DSDT-PATCHED.aml
    60.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSDTandSSDT-UNMODIFIED.zip
    94.7 KB · Views: 92
Which specific boot flags?

"IGPEnabler=N GraphicsEnabler=N -x -v -f UseKernelCache=N dart=0" Should be used even when booting into the Mavericks installer? That is where it would hang sometimes (maybe 1 in 5 boots) for me on the Apple splash screen.

You could also use boot flags that *enable* your graphics... eg. install Chameleon to the USB and use IntelAzulFB=12 GraphicsEnabler=Y, or better yet, customize the org.chameleon.Boot.plist on the USB, so you don't have to type them.

I extracted my DSDT+SSDT and made the following patches this guide and this post suggest. Now i have sound, working sleep, and display is dims. I've attached my original and patched DSDT if anybody is curious.

Interesting that you have working sleep. The OP had an issue with sleep...

Battery - HP Probook 4x0s G1 --- which appears to be slightly different than the one this guide recommends. Is one better than the other?

I put the one in the laptop repo, just to capture some of the work so far... It has the patches that fix the syntax errors in the DSDT.

and finally manually adjusted

This can be avoided when we have confirmation that the keyboard layout is right. I'll simply add 1942 such that it maps to the normal ProBook key layout.

Couple of questions...
Apple->Restart appears to just sleep (for about 15-45 seconds) and return itself from sleep and not actually restart the system. Can this be corrected?

That's a bit strange... not sure what might be causing that... Try "Shutdown Fix" from the laptop repo.

What exactly is "1942" -> "1680" doing? I noticed mine is "1942 " with extra trailing spaces. Does whitespace matter inside the literals on a DSDT?

This identifies your motherboard. We use it to choose a keyboard layout inside the Info.plist for VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext.

I prefer to manually put my machine to sleep instead of having it automatically sleep on lid close. I noticed this functionally is added in the "Brightness Fix". I'm not experienced enough modifying DSDTs to be able to decipher what part of the patch does what. Could somebody maybe help me disable the sleep on closed lid?

The only way would be to disable/delete the LID device in DSDT. Why would you want to do this?

What is the difference between Audio Layout 12 and Audio Layout 12 Advanced?

Most of the time (I think all of the time), you need only Audio Layout 12. The other injections in advanced are not necessary AFAIK.

Lastly, I'm interested in learning what some of these patches do in more detail. If you're willing to elaborate on what "IRQ Fix", "Fix _WAK Arg0 v1" are actually doing? Also, what is the significance of "Rename GFX0"? Is this just because OSX uses a different identifier?

IRQ Fix changes the way the IRQs are defined in the DSDT to match what Apple expects. It is required for working audio. I don't know much more than that.

Fix _WAK: read the comments in the patch. They clearly describe what it is for.

Rename GFX0->IGPU enables additional power management for the GPU.

The only way would be to disable/delete the LID device in DSDT. Why would you want to do this?

Often I put it to sleep just before closing the lid but frequently I have it running something/download whatever and don't actually want it to sleep. I prefer to manually tell my machine to sleep. It's something I always disable in other operating systems/laptops.

Is the brightness patch not adding the LID device to the DSDT? Or is it already there and as a side effect it just starts working after the patch? I don't recall if I ever closed the lid any time before patching the DSDT while the machine was on.

Often I put it to sleep just before closing the lid but frequently I have it running something/download whatever and don't actually want it to sleep. I prefer to manually tell my machine to sleep. It's something I always disable in other operating systems/laptops.

You might consider using a utility like NoSleep. Sometimes it is better to think of such problems as if you had a real Mac, not hackintosh.

Is the brightness patch not adding the LID device to the DSDT? Or is it already there and as a side effect it just starts working after the patch? I don't recall if I ever closed the lid any time before patching the DSDT while the machine was on.

The LID device is already present, but it doesn't get activated until OS X has the PNLF device to attach to (which is related to backlight control). So, LID sleep is really just a side effect of making brightness work. For some reason, the two items are tied together in OS X. There are many such mysteries inside OS X and it comes from Apple only having to produce software that works on a very limited set of hardware.

Wescotte said:
This can be avoided when we have confirmation that the keyboard layout is right. I'll simply add 1942 such that it maps to the normal ProBook key layout.

Do you need a Guinea Pig? I'd be happy to ensure all the keys on the keyboard are doing what they are suppose to. However, I'm not really too familiar with actual Macbook's layout and what should be doing what so if you tell me what I should test or direct me to a list I can verify more than just the function keys.

F1/F2-No response that I'm aware of
F3 - Display brightness up
F4 - No response
F5 - Show all windows (same as CTRL + UP ARROW)
F6 - Launch Pad
F7 - Mute
F8 - Volume down
F9 - Volume up
F10-F12 nothing

Are these mapped to what a normal Mac laptop should be doing? My keyboard has icons for many of these functions on the keys but the don't match up.

Do you need a Guinea Pig? I'd be happy to ensure all the keys on the keyboard are doing what they are suppose to. However, I'm not really too familiar with actual Macbook's layout and what should be doing what so if you tell me what I should test or direct me to a list I can verify more than just the function keys.

F1/F2-No response that I'm aware of
F3 - Display brightness up
F4 - No response
F5 - Show all windows (same as CTRL + UP ARROW)
F6 - Launch Pad
F7 - Mute
F8 - Volume down
F9 - Volume up
F10-F12 nothing

Are these mapped to what a normal Mac laptop should be doing? My keyboard has icons for many of these functions on the keys but the don't match up.

Mostly it is a matter of some special keys... What are the labels on the keys.?

On the probook:
F1 - sleep (hold down 3 sec)
F2 - brightness down
F3 - brightness up
F4 - display mirror (only works when you have a second monitor connected)
F5 - nothing
F6 nothing
F7 - mute
F8 - vol-
F9 - vol+
F10 - rewind/prev track (probably only works when you're in iTunes, if at all)
F11 - play (launch iTunes)
F12 - next track (caveats same as F10)

Brightness up/down: Sounds like they are not working correctly, so that indicates the need for a new layout already. If your keyboard sends different codes here, we need to find out what they are (install debug version of VoodooPS2 and look at system.log).

There are a few other special functions on the ProBook:
Insert: maps to Mac Eject key
SysRq (Fn+delete): toggle trackpad

Mostly it is a matter of some special keys... What are the labels on the keys.?

On the probook:
F1 - sleep (hold down 3 sec)
F2 - brightness down
F3 - brightness up
F4 - display mirror (only works when you have a second monitor connected)
F5 - nothing
F6 nothing
F7 - mute
F8 - vol-
F9 - vol+
F10 - rewind/prev track (probably only works when you're in iTunes, if at all)
F11 - play (launch iTunes)
F12 - next track (caveats same as F10)

Brightness up/down: Sounds like they are not working correctly, so that indicates the need for a new layout already. If your keyboard sends different codes here, we need to find out what they are (install debug version of VoodooPS2 and look at system.log).

There are a few other special functions on the ProBook:
Insert: maps to Mac Eject key
SysRq (Fn+delete): toggle trackpad

Okay, all of that actually matches up. However, F5 and F6 have functions for me. Insert doesn't eject and Fn+delete toggles the mouse cursor off for a split second but doesn't disable the touchpad. Should I undo

and try again?

The icons on my keyboard are as follows
F3 - Crescent moon (I assume this is sleep?)
F4 - Display Mirror (I think)
F6 - Volume down
F7 - Volume up
F8 - Mute (I think)
F9 - Display down
F10 - Display Up

I've attached a photo of the keyboard if that makes things easier.

Attachments

• DSC_0566-2.jpg
    DSC_0566-2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 4,941
Okay, all of that actually matches up. However, F5 and F6 have functions for me.

What do they do?

Insert doesn't eject

Make sure you know what the Eject key does before you decide. For example press Ctrl+Shift+Eject (Ctrl+Shift+Insert). Let me know if it turns off the screen...

and Fn+delete toggles the mouse cursor off for a split second but doesn't disable the touchpad. Should I undo

and try again?

No, you won't get the ProBook mappings without it. It would be helpful if you ran the debug version of VoodooPS2 while testing the various keys... Then you can see what ps2 scan codes they generate and how they are being mapped to ADB codes.

The icons on my keyboard are as follows
F3 - Crescent moon (I assume this is sleep?)

So it doesn't match up -- at least not the physical layout. F3 on the ProBook is brightness up. F1 is moon (sleep)

F4 - Display Mirror (I think)
F6 - Volume down
F7 - Volume up
F8 - Mute (I think)

You can ignore vol+/vol- as a problem as they have standardized scan codes.

F9 - Display down
F10 - Display Up

You mean brightness, right?

I've attached a photo of the keyboard if that makes things easier.

Mainly it is a matter of you determining if anything is off. Physical layout doesn't matter much if the codes generated by the keys are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back