I5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Pro 655
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’ve had amazing luck so far with this system and being able to follow Rehabmans guides. I found that Meydon has the exact same system with the exact same configuration.

15” Omen AX250MW
Sata HDD
NVME HDD

What works on mine out of the box running 10.13.6 was:

Keyboard
Trackpad
Sound
Intel 620 Graphics
Bluetooth (without handoff)
Ethernet

What doesn’t work
HDMI
WIFI

I’m hoping Meydon can post his EFI Folder here as he is a lot further in the build than I made it, which is past the DSDT patching.

'Out of the box' normally means without any alterations/additions. Surely you've added various kexts and techniques. Maybe add into your post what you did to get things working. Also presume you have not implemented the battery patch yet.

Yes sir, you are correct. I don’t have access to my machine to go into detail as of yet, however all the tools are available via Rehabman’s guides. A few Kexts and a config.plist file and that’s all it took. I’ll add more details when I get home tonight. I found Meydons information on another thread and am unable to message him directly. We didn’t want the thread to go off topic so we moved the topic over here.

Not a Desktop - Not a Guide - Moved to Laptop Support

Hello @excelon

Sorry this is coming rather late, it took a while for my Wi-Fi card to get to me. As Rehabman pointed out in the other thread, sharing DSDT/SSDT is not the best option when choosing to configure hackintosh, even with the same laptop models. A simple modification in BIOS settings, or some internal hardware replacement could cause a change in the DSDT/SSDT files. Further more, my DSDT wouldn’t be considered vanilla anymore since I’ve swapped my Wi-Fi card and the SATA HDD with an SSD. With that said, I will give an overview of what I did to get mine to this (mostly working) stage. Please take note that I’m not running High Sierra on this laptop, I never tried it since Mojave was stable when I started installation, so I’m running on Mojave.

The Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover guide covers installation of macOS Mojave onto flash drives. My BIOS settings are visible in the pictures below. I used RehabMan’s Clover build available on his repo (this is optional, the default clover build should work just fine). Essential kext’s installed into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other include the following:
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
The config.plist used, config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist can be found in RehabMan's laptop repo. Download links for the essential kexts can be found in the Clover guide linked above. BIOS settings used are in the pictures below:

MVIMG_20190321_075507.jpgMVIMG_20190321_075527.jpgMVIMG_20190321_075541.jpg

I installed Clover onto the hard drive afterwards. Essential kexts are installed to /Library/Extensions again (I prefer terminal for kext installations. This is optional, a good kext installer app should work as well). At this point, many things should already be working. Fixes for the some that aren't are detailed below.

Power Management

There's very little to do in terms of power management since the Clover guide above is used. The guide followed can be found here. The only step required from the guide is disabling hibernation. Run in terminal:

Bash:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Extracting & Patching DSDT/SSDT

Basically, I followed RehabMan's guide here. It's a good idea to download the whole of RehabMan's laptop patches repo, because (almost) all the patches are from there. The steps I followed are summarised below:
  • Extract ACPI files using Clover's F4 option.
  • Separate SSDT/DSDT files from other ACPI files.
  • Install iasl and MaciASL according to the guide
  • Disassemble using: iasl -dl DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml
  • Fix DSDT.dsl compilation by removing the firmware errors / external declaration error comments at the top of the file.
  • Apply general DSDT patches + problem specific patches (see below)
  • Export as AML and move to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
General DSDT patches

After fixing errors in DSDT, some general patches are applied. These patches can be found in /system of the laptop patches repo. The file names are:
  • system_WAK2.txt
  • system_HPET.txt
  • system_SMBUS.txt
  • system_IRQ.txt
  • system_RTC.txt
  • system_OSYS_win10.txt
  • system_Mutex.txt
Problem specific patches

Most of the patches are applied to DSDT, only SSDT-13-8259 required patching while disabling the discrete graphics card.

Battery

RehabMan's battery guide helped with battery status / charging & discharging. Basically, ACPIBatteryManager.kext is to be dowloaded and installed in /Library/Extensions. Afterwards, the DSDT battery patch used can be located in the /battery directory of laptop patches repo. The file name is Battery_HP_G6_2221s.txt.

Note that the patch doesn't work without uncommenting the ACEL line at the beginning of the patch. The line is right at the end of the block that reads
Note: some may require this patch

An EC reset would probably be needed after applying the patch. The process involves shutting down, unplugging all connected devices, then holding the power button until the laptop comes up and goes off back.

Disable discrete graphics

To prevent the NVIDIA graphics card from drawing power unnecessarily, it can be disabled by applying an SSDT patch. The guide here covers the implementation. All that's to be done is apply the patch found in /graphics directory of the laptop patches repo within the file named graphics_INI-disable.txt. The patch is to be applied to SSDT-13-8259.dsl.

Brightness control / keys

I followed this guide to enable brightness slider in system preferences. The steps include installing AppleBacklightFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions and putting SSDT-PNLF.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Download links for both can be obtained from the thread.

For brightness keys, the ACPI patch below can be used. It was gotten from another guide, and it is to be applied to DSDT.

Code:
into method label _Q10 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
     Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
     Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

Audio

AppleALC and Lilu (already installed above) kexts enable audio. I followed this guide. After installing both kexts to /Library/Extensions, config.plist have to be edited (use a plist editor, I use PlistEdit Pro). The changes are:
  • Under Devices -> Properties -> PciRoot…(0x1f,0x3), change layout-id to 0D000000. This signifies codec layout 13 in hex. Layout 28 also works.
  • Under Devices -> Properties -> PciRoot…(0x2,0x0), AAPL,ig-platform-id should be 00001B59. And device-id should be 1B590000.
CodecCommander needs to be installed to enable swapping from headphones to speakers and vice-versa. CodecCommander kext can be downloaded from here. Right-click the kext file and select 'show package contents', the Info.plist file inside the Contents folder have to be edited, so as to include our codec (ALC295). Using a plist editor is advisable.
  • Under IOKitPersonalities -> CodecCommander -> Codec Profile, duplicate the 10ec_0292 profile. Then change the key and value to match 295 instead.
  • Under IOKitPersonalities -> CodecCommander -> Codec Profile, duplicate the dictionary for the Realtek ALC292 profile. Rename the string value for the key to match 295 instead.
Save the file and install the kext into /Library/Extensions, rebuild kernel cache sudo kextcache -i / and reboot twice. Audio should be enabled by now, but the volume is low. I haven't found any fix for this bug. A workaround I've been using is the Boom 3D app (with its drivers), it boosts up the volume and you can enable it on start-up.

If running a dual boot with Windows 10 (like I am doing), macOS might lose audio after restarting from Windows. The fix for this is uninstalling the Realtek sound drivers in Windows device manager, leaving only Microsoft sound drivers. The volume takes a little hit with this fix, but it's tolerable.

Wi-Fi / Bluetooth

The built in Wi-Fi card that came with the HP Omen does not work with macOS, as expected. I bought the Broadcom BCM Wi-Fi card BCM94352Z from AliExpress. The card is a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo. You can also get it from Amazon based on which is closer to your location. Videos showing the laptop being opened up can be found on YouTube. After installation, the following kexts are to be installed:
The last kext should enable Airdrop and other continuity features. (the Airdrop bar shows up and attempts to establish a connection with a compatible device, but I don't have a compatible device to test).

HDMI

I haven't gotten HDMI display working. I have tried swapping my SMBIOS (from MacBookPro 14,3 to 14,1) with no luck. I even temporarily enabled my NVIDIA card back but still got no visuals. The reason for this might be very simple: HDMI video is tied to the discrete card. I have tested HDMI on Windows (it works) while checking device manager. So, I can confirm HDMI is being attached to the discrete GPU. What I don't know is if it can be configured to attach to the Intel GPU since the NVIDIA device has been disabled. This is the only feature (afaik) not working on this hackintosh. If I run out of options on getting it fixed, I'd open a new support thread for the issue.

SMBIOS

SMBIOS data can be generated using Clover Configurator app. It's essential to generate one very close to the laptop hardware specs. The config.plist file from the clover guide comes with a minimal MacBook Pro 14,1 SMBIOS data, but I found MacBook Pro 14,3 to be much closer to the hardware. Based on the SMBIOS used, there might be delays when logging in and entering admin password in authentication dialogs. User @GffMaC notified me of this and its fix. The reason for the delay is the Touch ID feature, it can be disabled by installing a Lilu plugin kext named NoTouchID.

I'll try to update this post if I get any new updates.

Last edited:
@meydon awesome post by the way :)

I'm back on 14,1 as I can't get my usbc video out to work on 14,3. Configs created by Hackintool work fine along with two of the default entries from config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist with 14,1 but not with 14,3.

@meydon awesome post by the way :)

I'm back on 14,1 as I can't get my usbc video out to work on 14,3. Configs created by Hackintool work fine along with two of the default entries from config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist with 14,1 but not with 14,3.
Hmmm. The port difference between these SMBIOS is that 14,3 natively has 4 while 14,1 has 2 USB-C ports.

@meydon

Completely amazing! Thank you so much for your thoroughness! I hadn’t bothered with 10.14 as I figured the nvidia graphics would throw it through a loop. But I’ll give it another shot here in a few more days! What an amazing job you did! Thank you!

@meydon

Completely amazing! Thank you so much for your thoroughness! I hadn’t bothered with 10.14 as I figured the nvidia graphics would throw it through a loop. But I’ll give it another shot here in a few more days! What an amazing job you did! Thank you!

You're welcome. I think you'd have more luck with Mojave compared to older versions. Moreover, the discrete card would be disabled, so no problems with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back