Contribute
Register

HP Folio 9470m P-State Stepper Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU is i5-3427U @ 1.8
Yes on Drop SSDT...going to start another fresh install.

The SSDT was generated via Probook Installer per your guidance (via Power Mgmt Thread).

What I did:
- Fresh Install
- MultiBeast with DSDT-Free (since I don't have a starting DSDT definition file)
- Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement via MultiBeast
- System Def = MBP8,1
- Boot from Hard Disk
- Probook Installer: SSDT + 4x0s settings....
- Chameleon Wizard to set MBA5,2 + CStates=No, PStates=No, DropSSDT

Reboot = P-State Stepper Error
Only way to get past this is to reset SysDef to MBP8,1

Question...Which BootLoader is best for this situation? I used Chimera 2.2.1...I seemed to have better luck...Should I try/use something else?

Appreciate the continued help here.

Steven

You should check the SSDT that gets generated. See if the states make sense for your CPU.

MBA smbios is a bit more picky than MBP, and sometimes there are changes that need to be made to the generated SSDT. For example, removing the extra "bogus" top state if present. I've seen that primarily with i3 chips.

Can you try my guide? I included 2 HD4000 config for you: one with 8,1 and one with 9,2. Try both and report the result.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Been trying this....Did everything as instructed. However...

For this area:
6. Install screen will appear, use Disk Utility to format your drive as GPT, create a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) partition and Install Mavericks. The installer will extract necessary files to "Install OS X Mavericks" (not your target partition). This takes a lot of time at the end, though you only see "a minute remaining". This will end PHASE 1.

7. Restart and press F9 to choose Boot devices > Boot from EFI file > choose your Clover bootloader partition > EFI > Boot > BOOTX64.efi

8. Clover bootloader screen shows up, select "Boot OS X Install from Install OS X Mavericks" (your Mavericks Installer partition, not your install target partition).

9. Install screen will appear and continue installation. This time, installer will install files to your target partition and create Recovery HD partition. This will end PHASE 2.

------

I get a different experience.

I format my drive with Disk Utility and then Install Mavericks. Towards the end, I hang on "about a second remaining" and then get a pop-up message stating "this copy of the Install OS X Mavericks application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading". My version of the OS X Mavericks is from my working Hackintosh... When this happens, if I reboot and try it again, I get the exact same situation...

Suggestions??

Steven

OK....I think I have everything sorted out. I went through the Clover Install process and I have a working Mavericks System. I had it working with Chameleon/Chimera, but two things were off. A) Pretty sure that SpeedStep was not working completely and B) iMessage did not work.

Now, with the Clover/EFI install, everything appears to be working. iMessage works and I see the following after running for a while: 1/3/14 5:33:18.000 PM kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 9 18 24 25 26 28

Earlier, before I started reinstalling everything, I was able to see pStatesReached: 8 9 18 22 23 24 25 26 28

I am still learning, but I am pretty sure this is a good thing.

I have another question about backing up, but will start a new thread on that one.

Thanks for the amazing help here...great learning experience!

Steven

By the way, I am using MBP8,1 as Sys Def.

I still received p-state stepper errors while booting if I tried MBA5,2. I believe I tried MBP9,2 and it also crashed during boot...

Hoping that even with MPB8,1 I am able to get the most out of this system.

Steven

By the way, I am using MBP8,1 as Sys Def.

I still received p-state stepper errors while booting if I tried MBA5,2. I believe I tried MBP9,2 and it also crashed during boot...

Hoping that even with MPB8,1 I am able to get the most out of this system.

Steven

You must not be using plugin-type=1 in your SSDT/config.plist. Using Sandy Bridge PM on an Ivy Bridge system is a reasonable workaround when you can't arrive at the correct SSDT config.

You could also try using XCPM (kernel flag -xcpm). There is some discussion of this in the main sticky Clover guide thread (note: requires a patched kernel).

You must not be using plugin-type=1 in your SSDT/config.plist. Using Sandy Bridge PM on an Ivy Bridge system is a reasonable workaround when you can't arrive at the correct SSDT config.

You could also try using XCPM (kernel flag -xcpm). There is some discussion of this in the main sticky Clover guide thread (note: requires a patched kernel).
Nice idea, here's how you do it:

Method 1:
- Remove ssdt.aml in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- In config.plist, ACPI section:
+ Turn on Generate PStates/CStates
+ Plugin Type: set to 0.
- Set SMBIOS to MBA 5,2 or 9,x

Method 2:
- Have ssdt.aml in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- In config.plist, ACPI section: Turn off Generate PStates/CStates
- Kernel and Kexts Patches: Turn on KernelPM
- Reboot with flag "-xcpm"

Method 1:

Method 2:
- Have ssdt.aml in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- In config.plist, ACPI section: Turn off Generate PStates/CStates
- Kernel and Kexts Patches: Turn on KernelPM
- Reboot with flag "-xcpm"

Here are my results:
Method 0 (my MBP8,1 configuration from before)
- pStates = 8 9 18 24 25 26 28
- Geekbench = ~4750 (32bit, Multicore)

Method 1 (from above)
- pStates = 8,17
- Geekbench = ~3151 (32bit, Multicore)

Method 2
- pStates = 8 13 15 18 20 22 23 25 26
- Geekbench = ~47500 (32 bit, Multicore)

Clearly, something did not happen right with Method 1 since I was unable to get above 17 multiplier.
By the way, I got essentially the same results using MBA5,4 and MBP9,2 with these two Methods.

I would appear that Method 2 gives best results (or the 2 Methods)....Now to my questions:
- Interesting that I never hit above 26 on these two methods, but I was able to hit 28 Multiplier on MBP8,1 (Method 0)
- I am getting essentially the same results with GeekBench (statistically) even without hitting 28
- If there is agreement that Method 2 is somehow "better" than my Method 0, I will happily make that my config.
- Main question: Is there a way in CloverConfigurator to enter in the Boot Option of "-xcpm"?
- I am able to manually edit config.plist to include this boot option and can also just enter it into options when I boot.
- My preference would be a way to include it within CloverConfigurator. That way, future uses don't clear out this flag.

Additional suggestions and comments are certainly welcomed.

Steven

Method 1:

Method #1 is not valid. With plugin-type=0, should use Sandy SMBIOS, not Ivy... Ivy SMBIOS must use plugin-type=1.

- - - Updated - - -

Method 1 (from above)
- pStates = 8,17
- Geekbench = ~3151 (32bit, Multicore)

Not surprising. See above.

I would appear that Method 2 gives best results (or the 2 Methods)....Now to my questions:
- Interesting that I never hit above 26 on these two methods, but I was able to hit 28 Multiplier on MBP8,1 (Method 0)

Probably randomness/chance. The top pstate is rarely reached.

- I am getting essentially the same results with GeekBench (statistically) even without hitting 28
- If there is agreement that Method 2 is somehow "better" than my Method 0, I will happily make that my config.

It is more native. That is, more like what is possible on a real Mac. A real Mac with Ivy would never use MacBookPro8,x smbios.

- Main question: Is there a way in CloverConfigurator to enter in the Boot Option of "-xcpm"?
- I am able to manually edit config.plist to include this boot option and can also just enter it into options when I boot.

You have to place it in the GUI section as a custom entry (under Arguments/AddArguments). There is some discussion of this in the main Clover guide thread (search for -gux_defer_usb2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back