Contribute
Register

HP EX900 M.2 X4 NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
@craighazan Yes, this is the first NVMe drive I have in my system. I did a carbon copy clone of my drive (160GBs) and the temps got up to 59 celsius tops.

That’s great, I’m glad you got it working without any issues. It’s good to know it can hit those temps reliably.

Last edited:
You can get an Open Box 120GB HP EX900 from Newegg for $16.99 with free shipping.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing my NVMe drive temps in HWMonitor. The drive is mounted in a PCIe adapter. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi. I had the same problem, to get around it I opened Multibeast and installed 'FakeSMC Plugins' and 'FakeSMC HWMonitor Application' onto my HP EX900. I'm now able to measure the temperature and see remaining life for the NVMe.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 9.55.41 AM.png

Today, there's an open box 250 GB HP EX900 NVMe @Newegg going for $27 with free delivery. Brand new they're back at $33, that's a pretty awesome deal, for the seven left at least!.

Compare that to a standard SSD from HP. I have the 120GB version installed on a 2010 MBP, I'm really happy with it, reads/writes around 500MB/s and has been reliable for almost a year. But at those speeds and .16 cents/GB, it doesn't really make sense. Especially when a new EX900 is .13 cents/GB and reads/writes at 1200MBps / 1900MBps. NVMe with macOS can be booted from Clover Boot Manager installed on a SATA Hdd or Ssd drive on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell chipsets.

Last edited:
Hi. I had the same problem, to get around it I opened Multibeast and installed 'FakeSMC Plugins' and 'FakeSMC HWMonitor Application' onto my HP EX900. I'm now able to measure the temperature and see remaining life for the NVMe.
Despite having HWMonitor and the Plugins installed, I tried using Multibeast as you suggested. Now I only have drive temperatures and SSD remaining life showing (I used to have a bunch of other stuff.) I'll have to investigate what changed when I have a chance.

I'm on High Sierra still; are you on Mojave? If so, I'll try booting my Mojave work in progress volume and see if it shows up. Thanks for your help.

I'm on High Sierra still; are you on Mojave? If so, I'll try booting my Mojave work in progress volume and see if it shows up. Thanks for your help.

Yes I'm in Mojave. I installed 'FakeSMC' onto the CBM HDD in Multibeast 1st, not on the NVMe. Then in the second round after a restart, installed 'FakeSMC Plugins' & 'FakeSMC HWMonitor Application' onto the NVMe. I know for a fact to not install 'FakeSMC' onto the NVMe because things can go wrong!. I'm still figuring out what options to install on the NVMe, Network for example, I installed 'intelMausiEthernet v2.4.0' onto the NVMe not the Clover HDD and that solved a problem for me. Also switching the Hackintosh off and leaving it alone for 10 minutes can help instead of a simple restart.

Not sure if this is a typo, But! the HP EX900 250 GB is $11 cheaper than the 120 GB on Newegg. Had mine for over 3 months now and haven't had any problems booting Mojave or Catalina Beta on Ivy Bridge and Haswell boards.

If you've signed up for Neweggs email deals, you might of seen this in your inbox this morning. If moving large files, editing video in 4K or streaming is your thing this is a good deal. I have mine installed on a Dell 9020 and hasn't caused me any issues in the 5 months I've had it. These do get hot so make sure you have good air flow around it, I've hit 60 degrees (C) and it survived, unlike the EX920 which blew up on me when it hit the same temp. On my Haswell system I get 1.2 GB/s write and 1.9 GB/s read, that's with an i5-4690K. But know this, you will notice a slight speed difference in boot up, maybe a couple of seconds quicker. In general use your not going to notice much difference, apart from a snappier macOS.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 9.06.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 9.17.42 AM.png

Last edited:
I've found my EX900 to stay cool and reliable. I'm using it for Windows 10 though instead of macOS. Time elapsed from pushing the power button to the desktop is under 10 seconds. In Windows the boot ups are blazing fast, I have disabled all of the garbage running in the background in Win10. Also note that HP is buying the flash memory from Hitachi. They are now in the SSD business. They made some of the most reliable and long lasting HDDs ever so hopefully their SSD tech is just as good.

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back