Graphics
Dell mini 9
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I saw this HP Envy x360 t15 at Best Buy this evening for 700 USD.

It has

Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
750 Gig HDD
15.6 inch Touch Screen

I am wondering about the wisdom of trying to Hackintosh this. Anyone have experience?

I do not even know if it is possible to use the Touchscreen in tablet mode in OSX. that would be sweet, but can it be done?

Any help or comments are Mose welcome.

All risk is my own. I'm not into blaming anyone for my troubles in navigating "Here Be Monsters."

I am more than willing to do extra homework to make it possible for someone to offer an opinion, but I might need pointers on what info to look up.

Thanks!

robdye

I saw this HP Envy x360 t15 at Best Buy this evening for 700 USD.

It has

Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
750 Gig HDD
15.6 inch Touch Screen

I am wondering about the wisdom of trying to Hackintosh this. Anyone have experience?

I do not even know if it is possible to use the Touchscreen in tablet mode in OSX. that would be sweet, but can it be done?

Any help or comments are Mose welcome.

All risk is my own. I'm not into blaming anyone for my troubles in navigating "Here Be Monsters."

I am more than willing to do extra homework to make it possible for someone to offer an opinion, but I might need pointers on what info to look up.

Thanks!

robdye

http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

Hmmm.

it is i5-4210u, which LOOKS okay, from running a search on that term and the word hackintosh.

but it has Intel HD 4400 graphics, and searching on that term with Hackintosh seems to show a mixed bag, toward probable not.

Also, it has "built-in" Intel wifi ac, (which I take to mean "soldered in," as I cannot find any info to the contrary, so not replaceable except by USB, so . . .

I'm gonna say no go.

(Thanks for the link to the thread. I had already looked at it the first post, and scanned the thread for info on anyone trying it, but at least you took the time to point me, so thanks.)

Hmmm.

it is i5-4210u, which LOOKS okay, from running a search on that term and the word hackintosh.

but it has Intel HD 4400 graphics, and searching on that term with Hackintosh seems to show a mixed bag, toward probable not.

HD4400 mobile is supported. HD4400 desktop, not.

Also, it has "built-in" Intel wifi ac, (which I take to mean "soldered in," as I cannot find any info to the contrary, so not replaceable except by USB, so . . .

No idea if it is soldered, but Intel WiFi is not supported. Look at the service manual for clues...

Thank you. That is very helpful.

I have found the relevant info in the service manual, and it is an Intel WLAN (I *think* the WLAN is what we are talking about).

It seems to be rather easily removable and replaceable, but I have a question about form factor (which may be a completely nonsensical question).

Is there a way to puts a picture on this forum?

Thank you. That is very helpful.

I have found the relevant info in the service manual, and it is an Intel WLAN (I *think* the WLAN is what we are talking about).

It seems to be rather easily removable and replaceable,

I assume it is half-mini PCIe.
As long as there is no whitelist implemented in BIOS, should be no problem then...

but I have a question about form factor (which may be a completely nonsensical question).

Is there a way to puts a picture on this forum?

You can attach photos to posts...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 570
Mmmm. . . Betting that's what this is about, a whitelist. Assuming only those three are allowed, I am guessing I would have to go with the Qualcomm, assuming I can find out if it is supported. If not, I would have to go USB, or hack the BIOS, which is waaaaay beyond my pay grade.

Of course, there might be other cards on the whitelist, but I cannot find out without getting them and trying to use wifi with them, correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 529
Mmmm. . . Betting that's what this is about, a whitelist. Assuming only those three are allowed, I am guessing I would have to go with the Qualcomm, assuming I can find out if it is supported. If not, I would have to go USB, or hack the BIOS, which is waaaaay beyond my pay grade.

Of course, there might be other cards on the whitelist, but I cannot find out without getting them and trying to use wifi with them, correct?

You never know about whitelist until you try...

It is very unlikely QCA9564 is supported (likely AR9565).

BIOS on most HP laptops is not hackable due to RSA encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back