CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
HD 530 (w/o GTX 950M), 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I've recently put Mojave on my HP Envy Laptop (The HP Envy L6F68AV (15t-q400)) which uses the ALC290 (with the Realtek ALC3241 codec) and I assume it has HDMI audio out with the HDMI port, though I have no use for this. This particular laptop has Bang & Olufsen speakers which presumable have a subwoofer as a component of them. It has one 3.5mm jack for audio with no input for a microphone other than the built in one for the webcam.

I've read the Clover guide and followed it as closely as possible, though I have not completed the steps towards solving some unrelated issues such as sleep and backlighting. In doing so, I've placed AppleALC along with Lilu in my Library/Extensions folder. In my plist file, I've tried setting the layout-id as 3, 4, and 28 as per the AppleALC guide for the ALC290. I also have applied the HDAS to HDEF patch. All of these layouts produce an internal speaker option in the sound devices, but do not produce audio. Layouts 3 and 28 show my internal microphone working, though I obviously cannot hear anything except for when headphones are attached, which changes the internal speakers option to headphones and outputs audio.

I've gone through the HP Envy guide and attempted to use it to reconfigure my plist and kexts, which produced a lot of errors and I ended up doing a fresh install. Likewise, I've gone over the audio troubleshooting guide by RehabMan here several times to no avail. I've tried manually injecting the AppleHDA file (after which I reverted to the original), and I've tried VoodooHDA - which worked but was extremely tinny and I think only outputting from one speaker (I later removed and did a fresh install after this too).

Attached I've included all the necessary problem reporting information (I think), and also included information extracted from Linux about my card and audio devices. I should probably note that while the speakers were working in Linux (Ubuntu), the subwoofer was not. I am aware this is a common problem but have seen some things around here saying there was a way to get them to work - I think it included muxing them down into another channel? Some linux threads have been posted on other forums describing a way to fix the issue, though I doubt it would apply to MacOS.

I'd appreciate any help I could get - it's driving me nuts!

Attachments

• HP Envy Information.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
So I've recently put Mojave on my HP Envy Laptop (The HP Envy L6F68AV (15t-q400)) which uses the ALC290 (with the Realtek ALC3241 codec) and I assume it has HDMI audio out with the HDMI port, though I have no use for this. This particular laptop has Bang & Olufsen speakers which presumable have a subwoofer as a component of them. It has one 3.5mm jack for audio with no input for a microphone other than the built in one for the webcam.

I've read the Clover guide and followed it as closely as possible, though I have not completed the steps towards solving some unrelated issues such as sleep and backlighting. In doing so, I've placed AppleALC along with Lilu in my Library/Extensions folder. In my plist file, I've tried setting the layout-id as 3, 4, and 28 as per the AppleALC guide for the ALC290. I also have applied the HDAS to HDEF patch. All of these layouts produce an internal speaker option in the sound devices, but do not produce audio. Layouts 3 and 28 show my internal microphone working, though I obviously cannot hear anything except for when headphones are attached, which changes the internal speakers option to headphones and outputs audio.

I've gone through the HP Envy guide and attempted to use it to reconfigure my plist and kexts, which produced a lot of errors and I ended up doing a fresh install. Likewise, I've gone over the audio troubleshooting guide by RehabMan here several times to no avail. I've tried manually injecting the AppleHDA file (after which I reverted to the original), and I've tried VoodooHDA - which worked but was extremely tinny and I think only outputting from one speaker (I later removed and did a fresh install after this too).

Attached I've included all the necessary problem reporting information (I think), and also included information extracted from Linux about my card and audio devices. I should probably note that while the speakers were working in Linux (Ubuntu), the subwoofer was not. I am aware this is a common problem but have seen some things around here saying there was a way to get them to work - I think it included muxing them down into another channel? Some linux threads have been posted on other forums describing a way to fix the issue, though I doubt it would apply to MacOS.

I'd appreciate any help I could get - it's driving me nuts!

CodecCommander.kext.
Refer to the FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Sorry I didn't include this but I've tried using CodecCommander and it had no effect. That being said I didn't use any configuration override files for it since there were none specific to my ALC290.

Is CodecCommander still needed? The FAQ for AppleALC says:

"What do I need to do with my previous sound modifications?
You must remove any of them. All the other changes including...CodecCommander.kext...are to removed."

Or perhaps I edited the plist file to enable it incorrectly the first attempt at using the kext?

Does everything else look in proper order?

Last edited:
The PR files you attached prove you forgot to install it.

I'm aware it isn't installed now, I had it previously installed when trying different things to make it all work and it had no effect.

I'm aware it isn't installed now, I had it previously installed when trying different things to make it all work and it had no effect.

I cannot comment on a setup that you have not provided any PR files that correspond.

I cannot comment on a setup that you have not provided any PR files that correspond.

What I've provided is the latest snapshot of what's on the computer. Later I'll reinstall CodecCommander and attach new PR files - but like I said I've tried just that before and it had no effect. I can try again, however.

Attachments

• New Report - Post CodecCommander.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back