1. 0
Hello,

First of all, here are the specs of my HP Envy 17t m7-n101dx:

• Intel i7-5500U processor
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB 5400rpm HDD, 256GB M.2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD
  • Intel HD 5500 internal graphics, nVidia GeForce 940M 2GB
  • 17.3 Full HD IPS touchscreen display
In order to install El Capitan properly, I followed RehabMan's guide (this one) and I managed to get into the installer.

The only problem that I encounter for the moment, is that I only get 7MB of VRAM when I'm at this installer screen (I simply don't follow the installation process because I don't want to run El Capitan with 7MB VRAM; nothing will change after install if I don't fix it before, right?).

In order to get the amount of VRAM I used this command in Terminal "system_profiler | grep VRAM'". Getting to the installer screen was easy, as I only had to use the config for Intel HD 5500 that RehabMan provided on his GitHub.

I read every single thread that had anything to do with Intel HD 5500 and El Capitan support and the only thing that I couldn't manage to do was to change my DVMT pre-allocation size as my BIOS is locked and I can't use EFI to change variables (tried all BIOS versions from HP). In Windows I see 128MB allocated but, as I saw, this is not the proper way to get the actual DVMT pre-allocated size.

However, the interesting fact is that I don't have to enable the minStolenSize patch from RehabMan's config in order to get to the installer screen. It simply gets there by using 0x16260002 or 0x16260006 as FakeID for graphics. I also tried using the patch but still 7MB of VRAM.

Now, I'm asking you guys, after going through all these steps, should I simply give up? Is there anything I can try to get my graphics working properly? Is there any possibility that in a future release of Mac OS X (like the next major one) this compatibility issue with HD 5500 to be fixed?

Thank you!

Hello,

First of all, here are the specs of my HP Envy 17t m7-n101dx:

• Intel i7-5500U processor
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB 5400rpm HDD, 256GB M.2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD
  • Intel HD 5500 internal graphics, nVidia GeForce 940M 2GB
  • 17.3 Full HD IPS touchscreen display
In order to install El Capitan properly, I followed RehabMan's guide (this one) and I managed to get into the installer.

The only problem that I encounter for the moment, is that I only get 7MB of VRAM when I'm at this installer screen (I simply don't follow the installation process because I don't want to run El Capitan with 7MB VRAM; nothing will change after install if I don't fix it before, right?).

In order to get the amount of VRAM I used this command in Terminal "system_profiler | grep VRAM'". Getting to the installer screen was easy, as I only had to use the config for Intel HD 5500 that RehabMan provided on his GitHub.

I read every single thread that had anything to do with Intel HD 5500 and El Capitan support and the only thing that I couldn't manage to do was to change my DVMT pre-allocation size as my BIOS is locked and I can't use EFI to change variables (tried all BIOS versions from HP). In Windows I see 128MB allocated but, as I saw, this is not the proper way to get the actual DVMT pre-allocated size.

However, the interesting fact is that I don't have to enable the minStolenSize patch from RehabMan's config in order to get to the installer screen. It simply gets there by using 0x16260002 or 0x16260006 as FakeID for graphics. I also tried using the patch but still 7MB of VRAM.

Now, I'm asking you guys, after going through all these steps, should I simply give up? Is there anything I can try to get my graphics working properly? Is there any possibility that in a future release of Mac OS X (like the next major one) this compatibility issue with HD 5500 to be fixed?

Thank you!

0x16260002 (or 0x16260006) is not a valid FakeID. Serves only to disable the graphics drivers.

Use the plist as is.

0x16260002 (or 0x16260006) is not a valid FakeID. Serves only to disable the graphics drivers.

Use the plist as is.
If I don't use the FakeID I get a kernel panic. I attached a photo with that error and my config.xml.
Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Kernel panic.jpg
    Kernel panic.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 224
If I don't use the FakeID I get a kernel panic. I attached a photo with that error and my config.xml.
Thanks!

You must set DVMT-prealloc to 64mb or use the minStolenSize patch.

You must set DVMT-prealloc to 64mb or use the minStolenSize patch.
Code:
            <dict>                
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Disable minStolenSize less or equal fStolenMemorySize assertion, 10.11.beta ( (based on Austere.J patch)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <[B]false[/B]/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>QTnEdj4=</data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>QTnE6z4=</data>
            </dict>
This is the patch that I need to use, right? As you can see, it's already enabled but I still get the kernel panic.

Code:
            <dict>                
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Disable minStolenSize less or equal fStolenMemorySize assertion, 10.11.beta ( (based on Austere.J patch)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <[B]false[/B]/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>QTnEdj4=</data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>QTnE6z4=</data>
            </dict>
This is the patch that I need to use, right? As you can see, it's already enabled but I still get the kernel panic.

Did you boot without caches? (spacebar in Clover, choose option)

Clover can only patch kexts that it loads. And since you have already used FakeID, the graphics drivers are not in kernel cache, so Clover can't patch them without booting without caches.

Did you boot without caches? (spacebar in Clover, choose option)

Clover can only patch kexts that it loads. And since you have already used FakeID, the graphics drivers are not in kernel cache, so Clover can't patch them without booting without caches.
Unfortunately, booting without caches throws the same kernel panic. (Also, why does it also goes in verbose mode when booting without caches?)

Unfortunately, booting without caches throws the same kernel panic.

They you will need to set DVMT-prealloc to 64mb. Using an incorrect DVMT-prealloc setting does not always work.

(Also, why does it also goes in verbose mode when booting without caches?)

Because.

So I guess there's simply no way to get graphics working properly as there's no way to modify the DVMT of this laptop. That's just too sad.

As you have much experience with hackintosh - is there any possibility for Apple to change this AppleIntelFramebuffer in future releases of OS X?

As you have much experience with hackintosh - is there any possibility for Apple to change this AppleIntelFramebuffer in future releases of OS X?

It is not possible to predict what Apple will do in the future. If you have the ability to predict the future, perhaps you could provide some stock market picks!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back