Contribute
Register

HP Envy 15t-J100; Trouble booting from HD and problems with Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
-x is the only way. ioreg is attached.

Injection of 0xa260006 looks ok and Chimera3 is installed (0xa260006 is actually the default for mobile HD4600 in Chimera3).

But there could be other things causing your problem:
- if you have nivida, make sure you remove the nvidia kexts (NVDA*, Geforce*)
- use dart=0 kernel flag

I was not aware of this. I used Pike's script to generate the ssdt and relabeled my other ones but I found that when it was being used, I could not open applications and my fan was constantly running like crazy and my cpu was heating up. Also wouldn't restart without holding the power button. This also means that ioreg is without this ssdt, however it is included as ssdt in the attached files.

You will need to post ioreg with the SSDT in place. Can't tell anything from an ioreg without...other than power management is not correct due to missing plugin-type injection from SSDT.

My general advice: work on one thing at a time.

Took a while to figure out, but I successfully edited my smbios.plist to be for MacBookPro11,2 using Cover Configurator which seems much more complete than Chameleon Wizard.

You might consider using Clover... much less of a hassle with this kind of computer.

I found the _INI method and the _OFF and _ON ones below it in SSDT-5 (labeled SSDT-2 in the attached files). I added the line "_OFF ()" at the bottom of the _INI method.

Should work... On some machines doing this causes sleep/restart problems. Usually calling _ON from _PTS and _OFF from _WAK can fix it.

Injection of 0xa260006 looks ok and Chimera3 is installed (0xa260006 is actually the default for mobile HD4600 in Chimera3).

But there could be other things causing your problem:
- if you have nivida, make sure you remove the nvidia kexts (NVDA*, Geforce*)
- use dart=0 kernel flag
I already had the kexts removed but dart=0 was the key thing I was missing! I am now able to boot without any extra kernel flags! What does dart=0 do?!

You will need to post ioreg with the SSDT in place. Can't tell anything from an ioreg without...other than power management is not correct due to missing plugin-type injection from SSDT.

Should work... On some machines doing this causes sleep/restart problems. Usually calling _ON from _PTS and _OFF from _WAK can fix it.

I re-generated the ssdt with Pike's script and everything is working great now... may have something to do with turning the graphics card off in the ssdt that was causing the last pm ssdt to fail? regardless it works now.

Though I can now adjust the brightness with the slider, the keys don't do anything. I haven't had a chance to fully test the media control keys (fastforward, play/pause, and rewind) but play/pause opens iTunes which is a good sign. The only other key that for sure doesn't work is the num lock key. Any ideas to how I could adjust brightness with the F2 and F3 keys?

The headphone jack also doesn't work. Since the internal speakers are pretty bad, it would be nice to be able to use headphones...

Also, what are pstates and cstates? I've seen people talk about them, how do I know if I'm generating all of them?!

I already had the kexts removed but dart=0 was the key thing I was missing! I am now able to boot without any extra kernel flags! What does dart=0 do?!

dart=0 needs to be used if your CPU has VT-d and there is no option in BIOS to disable it.

I re-generated the ssdt with Pike's script and everything is working great now... may have something to do with turning the graphics card off in the ssdt that was causing the last pm ssdt to fail? regardless it works now.

It may have been that you didn't have the correct smbios in place when running ssdtPRgen.sh the first time. The script depends on having the correct smbios active at the time the script is run. Read the code in the script for more information...

Though I can now adjust the brightness with the slider, the keys don't do anything. I haven't had a chance to fully test the media control keys (fastforward, play/pause, and rewind) but play/pause opens iTunes which is a good sign. The only other key that for sure doesn't work is the num lock key. Any ideas to how I could adjust brightness with the F2 and F3 keys?

If you have DSDT patches from my repo (specifically keyboard.txt) and my version of VoodooPS2 (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller), the brightness keys should work.

Unless your motherboard ID is different. If you would like me to look, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

The headphone jack also doesn't work. Since the internal speakers are pretty bad, it would be nice to be able to use headphones...

Are you using a patched AppleHDA that matches your version of OS X?

In my repo is a script to create an injector and config.plist based patches for Clover. You could use the same patches/injector for Chimera, but maybe a transition to Clover is in your future...

Also, what are pstates and cstates? I've seen people talk about them, how do I know if I'm generating all of them?!

You can test pstates with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

I haven't done much research on c-states (probably should...)..

If you have DSDT patches from my repo (specifically keyboard.txt) and my version of VoodooPS2 (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller), the brightness keys should work.

Unless your motherboard ID is different. If you would like me to look, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Are you using a patched AppleHDA that matches your version of OS X?

In my repo is a script to create an injector and config.plist based patches for Clover. You could use the same patches/injector for Chimera, but maybe a transition to Clover is in your future...

I installed the AppleHDA.kext provided by Gygabyte666 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109/ and headphones worked.

Also, looking at his first post, he mentioned that he used your DSDT patches and version of VoodooPS2 and that brightness worked when the Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 were pressed. I tried this and sure enough they worked... Is there any way to get the keys to work without the Fn? Like the volume controls?

You can test pstates with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

The log says AICPUPMI CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37] iGPU P-States [(4) 5 7 10 16]
Is this about right or do I have a bit more work to do?? I really don't know what the output should be so I'm hoping this is good. I'm guessing the CPU states are good but what about the iGPU?!

Also, any ideas for wireless and bluetooth?!

I installed the AppleHDA.kext provided by Gygabyte666 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109/ and headphones worked.

The injector kext (created with the script) is based on that same AppleHDA. Using the injector and config.plist kext patches does the same thing but it survives system updates.

Also, looking at his first post, he mentioned that he used your DSDT patches and version of VoodooPS2 and that brightness worked when the Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 were pressed. I tried this and sure enough they worked... Is there any way to get the keys to work without the Fn? Like the volume controls?

Actually, if you use my patches it will work when you press Fn+fkeys (or without Fn depending on how you have BIOS set). Done properly the requirement of pressing Fn or not follows same for brightness and volume. Certainly I could look if you provide ioreg. Otherwise I have no ideas one what you're doing incorrectly.

The log says AICPUPMI CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37] iGPU P-States [(4) 5 7 10 16]
Is this about right or do I have a bit more work to do?? I really don't know what the output should be so I'm hoping this is good. I'm guessing the CPU states are good but what about the iGPU?!

That looks good to me, although your profile contains no information about a laptop, so I have no idea what CPU your laptop has. Look up your CPU specs on ark.intel and compare.

Also, any ideas for wireless and bluetooth?!

I don't use BT. As for WiFi...
WiFi: Depends on having compatible hardware. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to find out what you have. Compatible chipsets and the procedures for making them work are covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

The injector kext (created with the script) is based on that same AppleHDA. Using the injector and config.plist kext patches does the same thing but it survives system updates.

How would I go about doing this with Chimera? I have HDAEnabler=Yes, HDAULayoutID=0C0C0000 and HDEFLayoutID=0C000000 in my Boot.plist but I don't know how to go about doing anything else...

Actually, if you use my patches it will work when you press Fn+fkeys (or without Fn depending on how you have BIOS set). Done properly the requirement of pressing Fn or not follows same for brightness and volume. Certainly I could look if you provide ioreg. Otherwise I have no ideas one what you're doing incorrectly.

I am unable to open ioreg or iojones using the ssdt.aml generated by Pike's script. Both stop responding while they are opening and never even open a window. Without Pike's script's ssdt I am still to open both easily and my p-states do not change. Is there any reason for me to keep that ssdt?? Anyways, my ioreg is attached, hopefully it will shed some light on what is going on with my brightness keys.

That looks good to me, although your profile contains no information about a laptop, so I have no idea what CPU your laptop has. Look up your CPU specs on ark.intel and compare.

This is the cpu I have but I'm not sure how I compare those p-states to anything on this... http://ark.intel.com/products/75131/Intel-Core-i7-4900MQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

I don't use BT. As for WiFi...
WiFi: Depends on having compatible hardware. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to find out what you have. Compatible chipsets and the procedures for making them work are covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

I am looking at this card http://www.amazon.com/AzureWave-Broadcom-BCM94352HMB-802-11-867Mbps/dp/B00IFYEYXC however, it says it's not compatible with HP or Lenovo. I did a quick google search and it seems like a lot of hp envy's are shipped with this card. It's on the approved list so I'm guessing I'd be able to get it to work with Mac, however, I'd like it to work with Windows 8.1 as well as I am duel booting. Further this page makes me think it should work out http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...48526?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Attachments

• Saribe0’s MacBook Pro.zip
    417.8 KB · Views: 67
How would I go about doing this with Chimera? I have HDAEnabler=Yes, HDAULayoutID=0C0C0000 and HDEFLayoutID=0C000000 in my Boot.plist but I don't know how to go about doing anything else...

The injector kext generated from that script depends on Clover for patching the AppleHDA binary. You should really consider using Clover instead. You'll have a better install for it, and updating to new versions of OS X will be easier.

Otherwise, you can use bcc9's patch-hda to patch the binary and modify the script to include the patched binary instead of the symlink.

I am unable to open ioreg or iojones using the ssdt.aml generated by Pike's script. Both stop responding while they are opening and never even open a window. Without Pike's script's ssdt I am still to open both easily and my p-states do not change. Is there any reason for me to keep that ssdt?? Anyways, my ioreg is attached, hopefully it will shed some light on what is going on with my brightness keys.

As far as brightness keys, your DSDT is not properly patched. Read the instructions at my repo and use the 'make patch' with the provided makefile to create your DSDT correctly. Your _Q13 method is stock. It does not have the patches as specified in keyboard.txt. It is like you're using an old version of the patches or something (make sure you update with 'git pull').

This is the cpu I have but I'm not sure how I compare those p-states to anything on this... http://ark.intel.com/products/75131/Intel-Core-i7-4900MQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

You will need to get a proper SSDT installed to test pstates, especially when you're dropping all OEM SSDTs and not generating any via the bootloader.

There is one other person having this issue with windows not opening when using a generated SSDT, so maybe it is a Chameleon/Chimera problem. I have no issue with Clover...

I am looking at this card http://www.amazon.com/AzureWave-Broadcom-BCM94352HMB-802-11-867Mbps/dp/B00IFYEYXC however, it says it's not compatible with HP or Lenovo. I did a quick google search and it seems like a lot of hp envy's are shipped with this card. It's on the approved list so I'm guessing I'd be able to get it to work with Mac, however, I'd like it to work with Windows 8.1 as well as I am duel booting. Further this page makes me think it should work out http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...48526?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

That card should work. From what I remember, the unit I had came with it.

The injector kext generated from that script depends on Clover for patching the AppleHDA binary. You should really consider using Clover instead. You'll have a better install for it, and updating to new versions of OS X will be easier.

Otherwise, you can use bcc9's patch-hda to patch the binary and modify the script to include the patched binary instead of the symlink.

As far as brightness keys, your DSDT is not properly patched. Read the instructions at my repo and use the 'make patch' with the provided makefile to create your DSDT correctly. Your _Q13 method is stock. It does not have the patches as specified in keyboard.txt. It is like you're using an old version of the patches or something (make sure you update with 'git pull').

You will need to get a proper SSDT installed to test pstates, especially when you're dropping all OEM SSDTs and not generating any via the bootloader.

There is one other person having this issue with windows not opening when using a generated SSDT, so maybe it is a Chameleon/Chimera problem. I have no issue with Clover...

I decided to migrate over to Clover. I installed the newest version but am not able to boot into mac or windows (it hangs on both boot screens).... oddly I am still able to go to boot from hd in bios and boot into either with chameleon.. I thought Clover would go over chameleon... what do I need to do to migrate?!

Also, I tried switching to your config.plist and now I can't see any drives in clover.... I can still go through chameleon to fix things tho as explained above.

I decided to migrate over to Clover. I installed the newest version but am not able to boot into mac or windows (it hangs on both boot screens).... oddly I am still able to go to boot from hd in bios and boot into either with chameleon.. I thought Clover would go over chameleon... what do I need to do to migrate?!

Do you have correct config.plist with correct smbios? Did you put all patched AML files in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched?

Also, I tried switching to your config.plist and now I can't see any drives in clover.... I can still go through chameleon to fix things tho as explained above.

Did you install the correct drivers in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI? You should have EmuVariable, FSInject, HFSPlus, OsxAptioFixDrv, and OsxFatBinaryDrv...

It could be that my custom GUI entries are messing with you (there are GUIDs specfic to my system). You might clear things out in the GUI tab in Clover Configurator so it goes back to scanning for everything. I'll try to make it more generic.

Do you have correct config.plist with correct smbios? Did you put all patched AML files in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched?

I had copied over the AML files but hadn't updated the smbios (just did.). Also am I correct in only editing the config.plist in the /EFI/CLOVER/ folder?

Did you install the correct drivers in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI? You should have EmuVariable, FSInject, HFSPlus, OsxAptioFixDrv, and OsxFatBinaryDrv...

It could be that my custom GUI entries are messing with you (there are GUIDs specfic to my system). You might clear things out in the GUI tab in Clover Configurator so it goes back to scanning for everything. I'll try to make it more generic.

I had not had installed EmuVariable, OsxAptioFixDrv.. Where do I find HFSPlus? It's not in the installer...

Also how exactly is Clover Configurator used? I don't know how to modify and save a config.plist file... it seems like just saving the clover Configurator doesn't do that, it makes a file that only the configurator can open... also Windows still doesn't work...It still hangs on the boot screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back