Contribute
Register

HP EliteBook 8x60p with AMD 6470M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got round to putting my original system board with discrete AMD Radeon HD 6470M w/1GB back in to my EliteBook 8560p, what a pain, had to do it three times, first time no sound, and second time no bluetooth / WLAN. Eventually once the hardware was sorted upgraded the HD3000 Yosemite confirguration using USB boot, press F4 at Clover screen and boot to HDD, took forever to get to a logon screen and then an age to get to the desktop, we are talking hours not minutes.

I don't get this, can you give more detail? Why do you have to do it 3 times? And what HD3000?

Applied all the relevant settings using PBI 6.2.15 RC2 and re-booted with fingers crossed!

All working except sound, so used Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache, and following a further re-boot all working well, including switching to headphones output when connected. Overall performance and especially graphics performance appears much improved over the HD 3000 configuration, I will get a new Geekbench score when I get a minute. Also I can now pass graphics through the HP Standard and Advanced Base Stations rather than having to use the Display Port on the back of the laptop, and best of all I have support for three monitors, although resolution and graphics quality is currently poor for the VGA port.

Finally my existing installation of Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (EFI) running on the same HDD still works fine, just had to add my OS X partition as the Default Boot Volume in the Boot settings in config.plist using Clover Configurator.

Thanks to all for the hard work in providing the tools for me to get OS X Yosemite running so well on my HP EliteBook 8560p.

At login screen and launchpad screen, on your internal display, do you see color banding (like 16bit color)?
What is your resolution?

I don't get this, can you give more detail? Why do you have to do it 3 times? And what HD3000?

At login screen and launchpad screen, on your internal display, do you see color banding (like 16bit color)?
What is your resolution?
nguyenmac,

Sorry for the confusion, I have been running OS X Yosemite on the EliteBook 8560p with HD 3000 graphics happily using PBI for some time. Originally the 8560p had an AMD discrete graphics system board, which I replaced to get OS X to work, I also replaced the WLAN card at the same time.

With the latest clover, config and PBI now supporting the 8560p with AMD HD 6470M, I decided to put the original system board back in to the EliteBook. Anyone who has had to replace a system board in an EliteBook will know it is a pain, so having to do it three times to get all the hardware working was a nightmare, but is not really relevant to getting the OS X configuration working it was just a bit of background.

The HDD was however configured to run OS X with HD 3000 graphics and rather than do an OS rebuild I decided to upgrade the configuration using PBI to support the AMD HD 6470M discrete graphics.

My internal display is 1600 x 900, and yes I am getting the colour banding on both the logon screen and launchpad screen. I will check if I get the same issue on an external monitor running at 1920 x 1080.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

nguyenmac,

Sorry for the confusion, I have been running OS X Yosemite on the EliteBook 8560p with HD 3000 graphics happily using PBI for some time. Originally the 8560p had an AMD discrete graphics system board, which I replaced to get OS X to work, I also replaced the WLAN card at the same time.

With the latest clover, config and PBI now supporting the 8560p with AMD HD 6470M, I decided to put the original system board back in to the EliteBook. Anyone who has had to replace a system board in an EliteBook will know it is a pain, so having to do it three times to get all the hardware working was a nightmare, but is not really relevant to getting the OS X configuration working it was just a bit of background.

The HDD was however configured to run OS X with HD 3000 graphics and rather than do an OS rebuild I decided to upgrade the configuration using PBI to support the AMD HD 6470M discrete graphics.

My internal display is 1600 x 900, and yes I am getting the colour banding on both the logon screen and launchpad screen. I will check if I get the same issue on an external monitor running at 1920 x 1080.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Run PBI CE > Optional Fixes > FixEDID and restart :rolleyes:

Run PBI CE > Optional Fixes > FixEDID and restart :rolleyes:

Running the Fix EDID resolved the gradient glitches issue / colour banding at logon and in Launchpad on the internal screen running at 1600 x 900, thanks.

A quick update regarding HP Base Stations, my new AMD 6470M configuration supports three screens, the internal screen running at 1600 x 900 and two external monitors running at 1920 x 1080 connected via the HP Advanced Docking Station, however connection type appears to be quite specific.

Firstly do not use the VGA port on the back of the Base Station, resolution is poor and your specific monitor is not recognised, so does not run at "native" resolution.

The good news is the two DVI/DP connections both appear to be supported but the second port sometimes duplicates the boot process but then appears as an additional display at logon. I did have some issues with Display Port cables, so some experimentation may be required to get two external monitors running in "native" resolution. Finally the Display Port on the back of the EliteBook and ProBook can be used, but it disables one of the two DVI/DP ports on the back of the Advanced Base Station, so do not use unless you cannot get both Base Station ports to work, and it also makes docking and undocking much easier.

Please note you can only use one of the DVI and Display Ports mounted vertically, unless you have an EliteBook Workstation with discrete graphics which supports all five ports on the back of an Advanced Base Station. You can use any combination horizontally, i.e. DVI/DVI, DP/DP, DVI/DP or DP/DVI plus the VGA port (not recommended for OS X).

Please also note triple displays are only supported on HP Advanced Docking Stations and with EliteBook and ProBook laptops with discrete graphics regardless of O/S. HP Standard Base Stations and EliteBook and ProBook laptops with integrated graphics only support dual displays.

Last edited:
Nice, happy hackintoshing!

Nice, happy hackintoshing!

Thanks, I am very pleased with the results of switching to discrete graphics, especially as it has enabled full support for the HP Docking Station(s) and external monitors, and thanks again for your excellent guide and PBI CE application.

I notice you are up to 6.2.15 RC8 with PBI CE, and have released new versions of the Clover and Config files, is it worth doing any updates for my configuration?

I notice you are up to 6.2.15 RC8 with PBI CE, and have released new versions of the Clover and Config files, is it worth doing any updates for my configuration?

Latest PBI CE can fix USB 3.0 problems with 8x60p. Clover and Config files are only used for installation.

Latest PBI CE can fix USB 3.0 problems with 8x60p. Clover and Config files are only used for installation.
Thanks for the update, do I need to select "OS X support kexts" and / or "Config and DSDT patcher" for my model? I guess I do not need to generate a new config.plist and finally do I need to do SSDT generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back