Contribute
Register

HP EliteBook 850 G2 w/Mojave 10.14.1 Black Screen on Wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what changed and that's the missing link. If we can figure out what changed specifically with sleep wake between El Capitan and Mojave then I believe the answer will be discovered. I'm not a pro at html or web design but I've solved major issues with my own website by asking simple questions and then using trial and error and taking a long look at the code until I cracked the problem. I'm just out of trial options to fix this problem. If you (Rehabman) know where to look for what triggers the display to come on with an image in El Capitan and then look at what triggers the display to come on in Mojave the answer may lie in any changes that happened there when Apple upgraded the software. Did they change the code so that a different "display on" message is needed? I'm probably not using the correct terminology but that is where the issue lies. That "switch" or "message" is not getting properly triggered or sent for whatever reason be it a kext a patch or some other underlying issue. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this or diagnose it. I just know that it can't be a hardware failure so it has to be in the "code" or software, patches or kexts, clover, boot arguments, bios or something related. It could be a complex fix but I would not be surprised if it's just a simple line of code somewhere that's incorrect for Mojave and the EliteBook specifically since no one else seems to be experiencing this issue and reporting it. The fact that that other user has the same issue corroborates my belief that this is not hardware failure related.

I have same problem too. my laptop is Thinkpad, however GPU is same(HD5500 + 1920x1024).
My laptop go to sleep well, but can't wake correctly. screen is black image and the backlight stays turn on.(when lid closed, turn off)

as far as I try out, this problem occurs with 10.12.4 and later(include Mojave).
somehow I would like to work with Mojave fine.

Rehabman do you agree that Intel HD 5500 graphics might not be fully compatible with macOS 10.12.4 up to current Mojave? I'm seeing many different laptops all with HD 5500 reporting this issue in the various threads. While many people had botched setups to begin with, once issues were corrected the sleep wake problem persists. Once I learned how to do it I was always able to follow your guide perfectly but the issue persists. Should there be a note added to your guide warning other laptop hackers using Intel HD 5500 of the issue or do you have reason to believe the issue is unrelated to Intel HD 5500 specifically? What we need (if you don't have one already) is an example of someone with a laptop with Intel HD 5500 graphics with a fully working sleep wake running a version of macOS from 10.12.4 forward. That will help disprove an across the board issue with Intel HD 5500. If there is no example people should be alerted in the guide imho.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos10-12-4-wake-up-black-screen-only-backlight.218828/

Last edited:
Rehabman do you agree that Intel HD 5500 graphics might not be fully compatible with macOS 10.12.4 up to current Mojave? I'm seeing many different laptops all with HD 5500 reporting this issue in the various threads. While many people had botched setups to begin with, once issues were corrected the sleep wake problem persists. Once I learned how to do it I was always able to follow your guide perfectly but the issue persists. Should there be a note added to your guide warning other hackers using Intel HD 5500 of the issue or do you have reason to believe the issue is unrelated to Intel HD 5500 specifically? What we need (if you don't have one already) is an example of someone with a laptop with Intel HD 5500 graphics with a fully working sleep wake running a version of macOS from 10.12.4 forward. That will help disprove an across the board issue with Intel HD 5500. If there is no example people should be alerted in the guide imho.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos10-12-4-wake-up-black-screen-only-backlight.218828/

Needs further research/experimentation with different ig-platform-id values, framebuffer patching, etc.

I think this problem have only laptop with HD5500. because Mr.RehabMan have NUC with HD5500.
I don't believe that he use it with being incomplete. so I believe that there is a solution.

on the other hand, I will try other method as custom EDID or as editing the DSDT and other way.

I think this problem have only laptop with HD5500. because Mr.RehabMan have NUC with HD5500.
I don't believe that he use it with being incomplete. so I believe that there is a solution.

on the other hand, I will try other method as custom EDID or as editing the DSDT and other way.
I don't think that's a good comparison. These laptops don't have any issues with external displays sleep wake when properly configured. An NUC has to use an external display only so it should not have any issues with sleep wake even if it uses HD 5500. It's the BUILT IN display of a laptop where the sleep wake issue occurs. NUC does not have a built in display (Maybe onboard LED but not the same) only external monitor.

Rehabman can you provide a few custom one off config.plists I can try out with different ig-platform-id values or tell me again how to write in the proper commands using plist edit pro (since there is a difference with the way xcode writes in the values) I'm open and willing to test different configs until we knock this bug out. If I can just drop in a few different plists (pasting in my SMBIOS) to my clover EFI folder that will speed up the troubleshooting process. Of course if you own a laptop with HD 5500 you won't need my help.

Rehabman can you provide a few custom one off config.plists I can try out with different ig-platform-id values or tell me again how to write in the proper commands using plist edit pro (since there is a difference with the way xcode writes in the values) I'm open and willing to test different configs until we knock this bug out. If I can just drop in a few different plists (pasting in my SMBIOS) to my clover EFI folder that will speed up the troubleshooting process. Of course if you own a laptop with HD 5500 you won't need my help.

This thread has a list of ig-platform-id values:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

OK great thanks. So when I'm entering the different values I just use all of the numbers AFTER the 0x? i.e. for 0x16120003 (mobile, 4 connectors) I would just enter 16120003 in my config.plist? (please see attached image) I tried that and after reboot, the graphics are skewed and extra large and the display will not sleep by power button or apple menu but does turn off and on when lid closed and opened. I just want to make sure I'm entering these values correctly to do a proper test.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 9.02.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 9.02.48 AM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back