Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As the title says, the cpu won't idle below 1.3Ghz. It's currently configured to use SpeedStep & HWP using the PluginType=1 SSDT, but I've also tried using just an SSDT with pike's script as well as -xcpm on it's own (with the Plugin SSDT)...Changing the SMBIOS doesn't help either...Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Problem reporting files attached....

One other supremely odd behavior is that by all indications native nvram is not supported (i.e. - setting a test variable does not survive reboot), but brightness saving didn't work and went to full between boots with EmuVariable + scripts. When I removed both, however, brightness is now saved across boots. That's fine and all, but I haven't been able to get iMessage working and I'm beginning to suspect that I'll need EmuVariable to complete the conquest. This part isn't a problem, per se, but I just wanted to throw it out there that there may be more to the brightness bit than just the nvram part.

Attachments

• Rehabman.zip
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • ioreg.zip
    776.1 KB · Views: 72
  • terminal_output.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 67
As the title says, the cpu won't idle below 1.3Ghz. It's currently configured to use SpeedStep & HWP using the PluginType=1 SSDT, but I've also tried using just an SSDT with pike's script as well as -xcpm on it's own (with the Plugin SSDT)...Changing the SMBIOS doesn't help either...Thanks in advance for any assistance!

One other supremely odd behavior is that by all indications native nvram is not supported (i.e. - setting a test variable does not survive reboot), but brightness saving didn't work and went to full between boots with EmuVariable + scripts. When I removed both, however, brightness is now saved across boots. That's fine and all, but I haven't been able to get iMessage working and I'm beginning to suspect that I'll need EmuVariable to complete the conquest. This part isn't a problem, per se, but I just wanted to throw it out there that there may be more to the brightness bit than just the nvram part.

Read about Pike's freqVectorsEdit.sh script.

For brightness saving, you can try Rehabman's fake ambient sensor which is proposed in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apple-backlight-injector-brightness-not-saved.222952/page-14

With SSDT-ALS0 and his version of FakeSMC, brightness saving works out of box with EmuVariable.

One other supremely odd behavior is that by all indications native nvram is not supported (i.e. - setting a test variable does not survive reboot)

Thats odd ... native nvram support is working for me with 2017 HP Spectre X360 (i7 7500U) no need for EmuVariable ...
Seems odd that HP has such varied low level BIOS features across it's premium laptop ranges ...

Jay

Thats odd ... native nvram support is working for me with 2017 HP Spectre X360 (i7 7500U) no need for EmuVariable ...
Seems odd that HP has such varied low level BIOS features across it's premium laptop ranges ...

Jay

Adding ALS0 took care of the brightness with EmuVariable installed. The only annoying thing left is that LastBootedVolume can't work with EmuVar. So if Windows needs to do a major update, I have to babysit it through the reboots.

I have the non vPro model so I wonder if that's the difference perhaps?

I don't think my Spectre X360 has Vpro CPU ... so not sure thats the issue ... nvram is basically CMOS memory that PC have had for the last 20 years ... it just depends on how much you have and how well its supported by the BIOS. Its a shame that HP locks their BIOS's down so much and implements white lists/black lists for some hardware ... The BIOS options on the Spectre is awfull absolutely no options at all other then the very basics.

And you cant flash a hacked BIOS as if its not signed it will brick the machine ... of course we know why HP does this but they could give us the option to opt out of their support and allow us to do what we want with our own equipment.

HP do make some good top end laptops, at the start of this year I actually had a fully spec'ed out late 2016 (SKL) MBP 15" with touch bar and all the goodies .. but as a PLC and MPU developer i could not justify keeping a £3400 laptop that i could not replace the the Nvme SSD (or anything else) should it ever need it, god only know why Apple chose to do that ... bad call if you ask me ... and the touch bar is a waste of time IMO ... gimmick for Apple fan boys ... and no proper (tactile) ESC key ... :banghead::banghead:

Sure it was nice machine but it had way too many compromises in the name of Apple gadget art (form over function) its a crappy path Apple are taking with their Mac's these days ... not having a SD card slot is unforgivable considering one of their largest user bases is photography and video edit.

The 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 that i have now cost half the price, the materials and build quality are equal, the keyboard is way better (with dedicated pgup/pgdn, home, end & delete keys unlike the MBP) and the 4K screen is amazing .. it does every thing i need of it so i don't regret selling the MBP (especial as that model was quickly superseded with KBL).

Of course some things on the HP like the touch pad are not as good and then of course we have issues like i have with my USB/TB port and your lack of nvram and all the little niggles that we spend hours and hours trying to resolve .. but thats the price we pay for choosing the hackingtosh route ... its not for everyone but for those who do choose and put in the time to get OSX running well, we really cant complain too much, we get the best of both worlds ... latest OSX and fully featured Windows 10 with touch screen and pen/ink support without the Apple price tag and hardware compromises ...

Thanks for all you help with the TB/USB last week ... appreciate it.

Cheers
Jay

Just a quick update on the nvram issue ...

Since last posting i've switched to UEFI booting via the linux pre-loader method ... and native nram no longer works on my Spectre X360 .. like you i have to use clover's EmuVariable driver in order for nvam variables to persist

Prior to this i was booting via legacy clover boot loader installed in SS0 .. and was not using EmuVariable and nvram worked natively .... looks like yet anther bug / undocumented feature in HP's Bios :banghead: ..... probably connected to the same issue where the BIOS treats some boot loaders as a HP Post utility ...

Real shame that HP have enforced certificate signed BIOS images ... otherwise we could mod the bios ourselves but as it stands right now ... a modded BIOS should you be able to flash it will brick 2016/2017 Spectre and Elite Laptop's.

Cheers
Jay

Since last posting i've switched to UEFI booting via the linux pre-loader method ... and native nram no longer works on my Spectre X360 .. like you i have to use clover's EmuVariable driver in order for nvam variables to persist

Prior to this i was booting via legacy clover boot loader installed in SS0 .. and was not using EmuVariable and nvram worked natively .... looks like yet anther bug / undocumented feature in HP's Bios :banghead: ..... probably connected to the same issue where the BIOS treats some boot loaders as a HP Post utility ...

Real shame that HP have enforced certificate signed BIOS images ... otherwise we could mod the bios ourselves but as it stands right now ... a modded BIOS should you be able to flash it will brick 2016/2017 Spectre and Elite Laptop's.

Cheers
Jay

EmuVariable always in use with legacy Clover, it is builtin to CloverEFI (named 'boot' once installed).

Cheers
Jay
EmuVariable isn't a big deal to me, it was mostly just the LastBootedVolume not working that annoyed. I've since turned the Elite into an OS X only device so that one is off the table for me. This is the first notebook/tablet hack that I've done that actually has better battery life in OS X than Windows. lol. Did you ever figure out USB C hot plugging for the Spectre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back