Contribute
Register

HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim, anyone have their stop powering on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite 8300 UDST BIOS 2.99
CPU
i5 3475S
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Long ago I bought one of these used for a hackintosh. I followed the desktop guide for it. Works great for my needs. I see to be having a rather sudden issue where if i ever power off the unit, it is incredibly hard to get it to come back on. It doesn't even make it to bios. I tap the power button. The green leds flash and the fans spin for a half second before it immediately powers off. Occasionally letting it sit then trying again works. As I write this, its not working. Green leds on the board and psu are lit. Sucker just refuses to power on and stay on. Not sure if this is a hardware issue. Hoping anyone with a similar PC knows why.

I would replace the CMOS battery with a fresh new one. Reset BIOS defaults and then change settings as per the guide after the new one is in place.

I would replace the CMOS battery with a fresh new one. Reset BIOS defaults and then change settings as per the guide after the new one is in place.
Just tried that, now the second i plug it in the led flashes and the case fans pulses with each flash. Like the power button is getting held down. Put the old CMOS battery in, same thing. Hit the clear cmos button, same thing. Ive never seen a pc do this.

Just tried that, now the second i plug it in the led flashes and the case fans pulses with each flash. Like the power button is getting held down. Put the old CMOS battery in, same thing. Hit the clear cmos button, same thing. Ive never seen a pc do this.
It could be any number of causes. You just have to keep trying different things to determine the cause. It may be the PSU is failing. Could be a ram issue, the motherboard, BIOS may be corrupted etc. etc.

All replacement parts for these are available at low prices so most anything can easily be replaced. You have to find out the exact cause.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back