1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, I purchased an HP Elite 8000 (Q8400, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD, GTX 1030) as there was a pretty straightforward tutorial that I was able to follow in theory. However in PRACTICE, essentially everything is out of date, doesn't work, links point to dead ends, infinite loops, and are essentially unachievable in todays current Macintosh environment.

I'm presently using a late 2011 27 inch iMac to attempt to make the bootable USB key, which I am unable to do, since none of the methods of acquiring the compatible OS's are functional anymore, (No longer available on the app store) and I'm left with seemingly no options at this point. I've managed to make a bootable USB key of High Sierra, but it seems it is not compatible with the machine.

I've been ripping my hair out on and off for months trying whatever I can think of, Am I just wasting my time? Is there ANYTHING I can do, to complete this experiment?

My apologies if I'm missing something wicked simple, I just feel like I'm going in circles, surrounded by dead ends.
Thank you so much in advance, for your time! <3

So, I purchased an HP Elite 8000 (Q8400, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD, GTX 1030) as there was a pretty straightforward tutorial that I was able to follow in theory. However in PRACTICE, essentially everything is out of date, doesn't work, links point to dead ends, infinite loops, and are essentially unachievable in todays current Macintosh environment.

I'm presently using a late 2011 27 inch iMac to attempt to make the bootable USB key, which I am unable to do, since none of the methods of acquiring the compatible OS's are functional anymore, (No longer available on the app store) and I'm left with seemingly no options at this point. I've managed to make a bootable USB key of High Sierra, but it seems it is not compatible with the machine.

I've been ripping my hair out on and off for months trying whatever I can think of, Am I just wasting my time? Is there ANYTHING I can do, to complete this experiment?

My apologies if I'm missing something wicked simple, I just feel like I'm going in circles, surrounded by dead ends.
Thank you so much in advance, for your time! <3

Please update your motherboard, CPU and graphics card information in your Personal Details as stipulated by the rules of this forum.

Since you have a GT 1030 graphics card, you can only try to install MacOS Sierra or High Sierra. Other versions, including the latest Mojave, have no support due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

MacOS Sierra : https://support.apple.com/HT208202
MacOS High Sierra : https://support.apple.com/HT208969

My guide for the Elite 8000 works for Mt. Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite. If you had downloaded Mavericks or Yosemite on your iMac previously you should still at least be able to get them for free again. Try looking under the purchased tab. If for some reason you want Mt. Lion you could still buy that from Apple and download it.

I have no idea when you bought the 8000 Elite. I have recently add a new paragraph in the beginning of that guide.
In 2019 it's now best to start out with the HP 8300 SFF if you want to run High Sierra or the latest Mojave version of macOS. The prices are about the same for those as the Elite 8000 models. Make sure to buy one with a CPU that has HD4000 graphics if possible.
If you could sell or trade your 8000 for an 8300 it's quite easy to install High Sierra on the 8300 models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back