i7-3770
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All

Which one should I get? :) will upgrade to 16GB and a SSD. Plan to use the IGPU because I have another pc for gaming.

I know both are great Hackintosh machines. Will be used for design software like sketch, Figma and principle.

Hp 8300 SFF
i7 3770
No Ram
No HDD
195 USD

Dell 7010 Sff
i3 3120
4GB
250GB HDD (Not ssd)
90 USD

If I get the dell I will find a second hand i7 3770. The HP has one already But the price is also higher.

I've owned both of these models and liked them both. The Dell SFF has a much smaller enclosure and can't hold as many hard drives as the 8300 can. Both let you install a Wifi/BT card. One other advantage of the 8300 besides extra room is the standard 4 pin fan header for the CPU fan. The Dell has 5 pin. Requires an adapter if you want a different fan to cool your CPU. I slightly favor the Dell for it's smaller footprint on my desk. If internal room inside the case is more important, then go with the HP. The HP also gives you an extra PCIe x1 slot for whatever extra adapter card you might want to use.
Your best option is to download the technical manual for each one and study all the specs and compare them. Here's a few of the differences in the motherboard. The Dell board could be transferred to a mATX case, the HP can't. It's BTX FF. Only option is to keep it in an HP case. Won't fit in anything else.

Pic of the 8300 SFF motherboard.

The Dell 7010 gives you front USB 3 ports (2) that he HP doesn't have. The Dell has one less Sata port.
The Dell has a standard 24 pin power connector. The HP has a 6 pin connection.

Last edited:
#2 Thanks for your very detailed inputs. This helped me choose the HP 8300. I like the DELL size and design more but the computer will be hidden under my desk and I think the extra PCIe port, SATA port, 4 pin fan cable etc is more important for me.

You did a great job with your 8300 guide :) Cant wait to get my HP and try to install Mojave on it.

So I got the HP 8300 with i7 3770 (195 USD) and purchased 16GB ram (40 USD) Also got the Iogear GBU521 for Bluetooth.

Now im just waiting for my 500GB MX500 SSD drive to arrive. I wonder if I can format the drive in Disk Utility or if I need to format it on my Windows machine first.

My plan is to stick with the HD4000 and later upgrade to a GT710 if the OS/apps I use feels laggy (Sketch, Figma, Principle) if they perfom ok I will stick with the HD4000.

Also updated BIOS to the newest version and made all the BIOS settings from the guide.

My PSU fan is quite noisy so I purchased a new one from Ebay.

My plan is to stick with the HD4000 and later upgrade to a GT710 if the OS/apps I use feels laggy (Sketch, Figma, Principle) if they perfom ok I will stick with the HD4000.
If you're using a 1080p monitor the HD4000 should work well. The GT 710 is not really an upgrade. Performance is only slightly better than HD4000. The benefit it gives is that you can run dual monitors. If you want graphics for a 4K 60Hz monitor then get either a Quadro K600 or an NVS 510. The K600 can be found at a very low cost on Ebay. Some for under 20 dollars. It has DP and DVI outputs. I would go with a K600 for a single 4K monitor and NVS 510 for 2 or 3 4K monitors.
Either one can fit in the SFF model with the right LP bracket. Power supply is more than good enough for them too.

I am using a 2560x1440 monitor and I hope the HD4000 will be good enough for that res.

Do K600 and NVS 510 have native Mojave support?

I am using a 2560x1440 monitor and I hope the HD4000 will be good enough for that res.
Do K600 and NVS 510 have native Mojave support?
Yes, the HD4000 can do 1440p. I've never tried it with a widescreen. If it can't then just get a K600. They are supported in Mojave. Does your monitor have DP input ? If so that would be perfect. Try the HD4000 first anyway.

Last edited:
TRS96 So im already getting in trouble :D I Created my USB and followed the guide. But the USB don't show op in the Boot menu. If I turn on Legacy support I can see the USB pen on bootscreen under legacy boot sources, and if I do that I just get the nothing to boot from message.

My USB 2.0 16GB drive looks like this when open

Legacy support settings:

If I turn on Legacy support I can see the USB pen on bootscreen under legacy boot sources
You most likely made the USB for legacy booting and not UEFI. Redo it for UEFI. Also any further posts should be in the Hp 8300 thread. This is Desktop compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back