Contribute
Register

HP 8300 Elite w/ Intel i5-3470 Quad Core at Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the standard Sierra install guide. It's under the Guides section at the top of every page. Primary thing is to choose UEFI booting when creating the Unibeast USB installer. As far as Multibeast goes, don't install the fakesmc plugins right away as I've had problems with them with 10.12.5. All that is essential is the fakesmc kext anyway. You have to have that to boot macOS.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

You can use the basic DP to HDMI cable from Amazon. It doesn't have to be an active adapter or anything like that since you are only using a 1080p Monitor.

Thank you so much for posting this forum. I have a couple questions about the mid tower. 1. Do you have to get a low profile a graphics card for the mid tower hp 8300/6300 with i5-3470? 2. How do you install SSD into the mid-tower or SFF? This is going to be my first built computer and Hackintosh. 3.Do I need extra components for sound? I read this whole forum and the only confusing is these things.

Thank you so much for posting this forum. I have a couple questions about the mid tower. 1. Do you have to get a low profile a graphics card for the mid tower hp 8300/6300 with i5-3470? 2. How do you install SSD into the mid-tower or SFF? This is going to be my first built computer and Hackintosh. 3.Do I need extra components for sound? I read this whole forum and the only confusing is these things.
It can be a full height card for the Mini-Tower (CMT). You simply connect the sata power and data cables to the SSD and put it in the HDD bay. You could get a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter or use two sided velcro stick ons to secure it but they aren't required. SSDs have no moving parts so it will be ok if unsecured when the Desktop PC stays in one place.

I have gotten sound working with the latest VoodooHDA kext. HDMI audio and Analog audio jacks work with it. See the link to this in the first post, #5 in reasons to buy one of these 6300/8300s.

cant figure out whats wrong, but i made an install usb with clover for 10.12.5 and on the 8300 it hangs. i was on 2.90 bios just updated to 2.99 and still hangs.

cant seem to figure out how to use displayport either, so im on vga right now.

is there a uefi bios setting im missing? or is clover bad? i just used this thumbdrive clover setup to update my other homebuilt hackintosh on a gigabyte motherboard, so i know it works...

weiiird. everyone seems to say it installs perfect with no problems..

cant figure out whats wrong, but i made an install usb with clover for 10.12.5 and on the 8300 it hangs. i was on 2.90 bios just updated to 2.99 and still hangs.

cant seem to figure out how to use displayport either, so im on vga right now.

is there a uefi bios setting im missing? or is clover bad? i just used this thumbdrive clover setup to update my other homebuilt hackintosh on a gigabyte motherboard, so i know it works...

weiiird. everyone seems to say it installs perfect with no problems..

update: i enabled uefi on the advanced bios options on just the video and now i have hd coming thru the displayport, but were still crashing at the apple with progress bar. clover boots and i hit install osx sierra from "install osx sierra" and then i get the apple screen on black, activity light is on the usb stick, and then it freezes and activity light on usb stops.

hmmmm

edit! if anyone is following this, im getting help at this forum link https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-elite-8300-sff-i7-3770-gt-630.199712/page-46

Last edited:
How is your 320W PSU handling the GTX 950 ? Have you had any overheating problems with your CMT version when gaming ?
Are you generally happy with the HP desktop running macOS ?
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this forum for a few weeks.

The PSU has been handling it fine. I don't game, though, so I can't really comment on what would happen if I really taxed the GPU. I think I have enough headroom, but you never know until you try.

I primarily got the 950 because it has 3 DP outputs. I didn't want to limit my monitor options in case I decided to get a 3rd display in the future or in case I wanted to drive multiple 4k displays. I'm currently just driving one 4k monitor via DP and one 1080p monitor via HDMI.

I'm very happy with this HP running macOS. I never notice lag or dropped frames when pulling up Mission Control, which I always get dropped frames with on my late 2013 15" retina MBP. No dropped frames makes me happy ;)

Thanks again for all the posts that got this started for newbs like me who probably never would have taken the plunge without help from people like you.

I'm looking at the 8300 SFF, but what graphics card should I pick up? I won't be gaming. I'm fairly new at this.

Also, do I need to pick up anything for Bluetooth, Wifi, etc, to work with handoff? I know that's probably a whole other animal.

I'm looking at the 8300 SFF, but what graphics card should I pick up? I'm fairly new at this.

Also, do I need to pick up anything for Bluetooth, Wifi, etc, to work with handoff? I know that's probably a whole other animal.
If you just need basic graphics and won't game get either a GT 710 or GT 630 both work OOB. See the following guide for links:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-tower-macos-sierra-i5-3470-msi-gt640.224812/

There is also a link to the Fenvi Wifi/BT adapter there that works because it's an iMac wireless card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back