Contribute
Register

HP 8300 Complete Overhaul: PSU and GPU upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the HP 8300 CMT i7 3770. Information is very vague across the search engines for the 8300 CMT. The rest of the models seem to have lots of information available. That being said I have attempted and achieved success with upgrading my psu with a 650w super flower full modular. With exception to drilling 2 holes and using a cutoff wheel to remove some of the excess sheet metal on the tower cabinet it went fairly smooth. My only complaint is the PITA 515 error press F1 to boot. I have to keep a wired keyboard attached because the wireless one I use for everything else will not function until F1 is pressed. I am not a computer expert by any means so shuffling wires around does not tickle my fancy. I am a Machinist of 30 years so drilling holes and removing metal was a breeze though. I ordered my adapter from a seller on amazon. I emailed him asking if it would work on mine as wired and he stated it would and it did BUT it has that annoying F1 to boot nonsense. I ordered another adapter out of China from Moddiy that was specific to the 8300 CMT with 3396 motherboard. He claims that the error 515 problem will be gone without any further modification. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago so maybe it will be here by Christmas lol. Any help on that error would be greatly appreciated as the other adapter I ordered may either never get her or I may grow old and the computer obsolete before it arrives

Attachments

• WIN_20200816_14_03_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200816_14_03_42_Pro.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 204
  • WIN_20200816_14_03_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200816_14_03_52_Pro.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 270
I ordered another adapter out of China from Moddiy that was specific to the 8300 CMT with 3396 motherboard.
Most people on average wait 1-2 months before they get those. It's a long waiting game but may be worth it.

I have the wireless Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it works to press F1 on startup. Might be an easier / quicker option than waiting for the adaptor! Might also be dependent on your bluetooth card.

I know this thread is old but...

I ordered an HP Compaq 8300 on Amazon but it looks like they sent me a 6300 ( HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT / Board: Hewlett-Packard 339A) to use as a Plex Server and wanted to share that I was able to get the power supply adapter on Amazon (next day delivery) for $14 and pins were correct out of the package - no bios warnings (search for "COMeap 24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX Power Adapter" for HP 8300). The adapter was listed as for HP 8300 as well as the 6300 I have.

My EVGA Power supply didn't line up with the screw holes from the over sized HP PS. Only the 2 holes on the mobo side lined up. So instead of drilling new ones I used an old heavy duty expansion slot cover plate with a small nut and bolt to secure the cover side by providing a guide rail.

Attachments

• IMG_5723.JPG
    IMG_5723.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5724.JPG
    IMG_5724.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5725.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I actually stumbled across CoMeap last Wednesday. All I had to do was email them a picture of my old psu 6 pin wire arrangement and he fixed me up. Just as you stated it worked right out of the package. No 515 error and was totally plug and play. I have spread this through some of the old threads so that people that are new to this issue can do this conversion without all the headaches. Thank you very much for your response to this!

Hey guys I was hoping someone would know the answer to this. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer with a bigger PSU, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I have the 8300 with the 320 watt factory PSU. So far I have 8gb of ram, two 1tb Hard drives, a Radeon Rx 560 4gb GPU, a fenvi Fv-HB1200 Wifi and Bluetooth card. I mostly just wanted to upgrade the RAM to 16 gb and maybe in the future use a GPU that requires extra power. I know that if I change the GPU I definitely have to change the PSU, but if I just upgrade the RAM do you guys think I'm running the risk of my PSU going out just based on everything I have installed already? Thanks in advance for the insight.

If I just upgrade the RAM do you guys think I'm running the risk of my PSU going out just based on everything I have installed already?
Ram doesn't use much power so no. 320W is more than enough.

Hey guys I was hoping someone would know the answer to this. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer with a bigger PSU, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I have the 8300 with the 320 watt factory PSU. So far I have 8gb of ram, two 1tb Hard drives, a Radeon Rx 560 4gb GPU, a fenvi Fv-HB1200 Wifi and Bluetooth card. I mostly just wanted to upgrade the RAM to 16 gb and maybe in the future use a GPU that requires extra power. I know that if I change the GPU I definitely have to change the PSU, but if I just upgrade the RAM do you guys think I'm running the risk of my PSU going out just based on everything I have installed already? Thanks in advance for the insight.
Google online PSU calculator - There are many available.

Hello.
I own a hackintosh HP8300. I want to replace the original power supply with a standard ATX power supply.
I bought a conversion cable from ebay but it seems to be wired the wrong way.

Here is the adapter connector :
IMG_20201008_170903.jpg

Here is the original connector :
IMG_20201008_172148.jpg

I would like to copy your wiring. When I look at my original HP connector, it does have 4 cables but they go from PIN3 to PIN6 while your diagram shows a wiring from PIN2 to PIN 5.

How to explain this? How was your original P2 connector?

Thank you in advance.

Hello.
I own a hackintosh HP8300. I want to replace the original power supply with a standard ATX power supply.
I bought a conversion cable from ebay but it seems to be wired the wrong way.

Here is the adapter connector :
View attachment 491089

Here is the original connector :
View attachment 491090

I would like to copy your wiring. When I look at my original HP connector, it does have 4 cables but they go from PIN3 to PIN6 while your diagram shows a wiring from PIN2 to PIN 5.

How to explain this? How was your original P2 connector?

Thank you in advance.
Here is the link. The picture is the correct pinout for the 6 pin. Some of the wires on the 24 pin may be in a different position but just follow standard 24 pin pinout. There are like 8 or 9 grounds on the 24 pin. All you have to do is reverse engineer from the pictures from this link. Note the loop on one end. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW7RWNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
the 6 pin only uses 3 wires from the 24 pin. The 4th wire on all those cables for sale are using 2 grounds when it only uses 1. Not really sure how they even work when you finally figure out the correct sequence. The middle 2 pins are for power on and power ok. The one on the end is the ground. The loop on the other end just jumps the last 2 pins to mimic a fan. All I know is it works flawlessly and my computer doesn't make me press f1 anymore. By the waythe one I ordered from moddiy arrived and was wired exactly the same way. On the 24 pin connector pin 8 is power ok and pin 16 is power on. I just counted and there are 8 grounds on that 24 pin connector and , again , you only need 1 of those going to your 6 pin connector. I hope this helps you and anyone else fighting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back