CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am very happy with my 9020+Rx570 4GB, thank to @trs96 for making this possible. Previously 8600 and now 9020, he made Hackintoshing very easy and doable for a middle age man like me.
Now for my shop, I need a computer that can edit video and photo reasonably fast. My 9020 is perfect for this purpose and I will use it. But this means that I need another Hackintosh. It could have been another 9020 but prices of 9020 in the UK is not reasonable with a new power supply and 16GB ram and not cheaper than what I paid a year ago; it seemed to me they are not good value for money as they were last year and something with more CPU might be helpful. What would you suggest as a next Hackintosh?
Thanks in advance

Right now the 10th gen Intel i3 CPUs are a good value. The i3-10100 is really almost identical to the i7-7700 CPU. The big difference is that it costs less than half of what the 7700 does. Pair that with a lower cost Asus motherboard and build the rest around that. 16GB of 3000 MHz DDR4 ram would be perfect. One 250 or 500 GB NVME as the boot drive. You can figure out which case and PSU you want. Right now that's the best performance for the dollar/pound or whatever currency. Here's an example from Newegg. Much better than buying a 5-6 year old i7 refurb by Dell or HP.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Last edited:
Right now the 10th gen Intel i3 CPUs are a good value. The i3-10100 is really almost identical to the i7-7700 CPU. The big difference is that it costs less than half of what the 7700 does. Pair that with a lower cost Asus motherboard and build the rest around that. 16GB of 3000 MHz DDR4 ram would be perfect. One 250 or 500 GB NVME as the boot drive. You can figure out which case and PSU you want. Right now that's the best performance for the dollar/pound or whatever currency. Here's an example from Newegg. Much better than buying a 6 year old refurb.

View attachment 479568
If I have these MB and CPU and add a case and PSU suitable for RX580 8 GB, will it be too hard to hack and stable compared to your perfect builds ?

If I have these MB and CPU and add a case and PSU suitable for RX580 8 GB, will it be too hard to hack and stable compared to your perfect builds ?
No, not too hard to hack. You've learned enough by now to figure out the main problems. I'm pretty sure the next iMac will be 10th Gen Intel so the next point update of Catalina will have support built in. Look for the tenth gen guides in User Builds.

If you want 6 cores instead of four the cost to upgrade to an i5 is not that much. Will turbo boost up to 4.3 GHz.

Screen Shot 12.jpg

that’s an insanely good price for 10th gen board, I am so tempted!.
Your 7040 board is Q170 so it's at least as good as one of these. Probably has even more features. For the kinds of things you're doing an i5-6600 will do a good job.

Last edited:
Your 7040 board is Q170 so it's at least as good as one of these. Probably has even more features. For the kinds of things you're doing an i5-6600 will do a good job.
What do you think about these parts ? I have already a wifi card with bluetooth .

What do you think about these parts ? I have already a wifi card with bluetooth .
That link goes to a sign in page on Amazon.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Please post the components right here for review. Post a screenshot of your Amazon cart if that's easier for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back