Contribute
Register

HP 6300/8300: upgrade UEFI firmware on existing system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite 8300 CMT
CPU
i7 -3770
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Has anybody updated to HP UEFI firmware 3.06 on a HP 6300 or 8300 with an existing Mac OS install? My 8300 CMT has 2.99. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4 (without the latest supplemental update) and using the Nvidia web driver for my GTX 1050 Ti. Everything else is set up per the Sierra/High Sierra guides for this model, including using the recommended iMac 13,2 definitions. I'm just curious if I should expect success or problems if I update in place without doing a fresh HS installation.

Update the BIOS via the Utilities -- Flash System Rom. You'll press the escape key when booting up to get to that. Use the 3.06 .BIN file on a FAT32 flash drive. It makes no difference which version of macOS you are currently on. It's independent of that.

Thanks trs96,

I remembered I could do the update via a flash drive and the UEFI setup screen, but I'm wondering if the update is likely to break my existing Mac OS install in some way.
If you have edited your DSDT, patched it in some ways, then you might have to do that again but other than that it won't break your current install. The main thing is to load optimized defaults again after the flash. Then make sure you disable the serial port and make any other BIOS setting changes you did the first time you installed.

Just following up now that I've applied the system ROM update. I documented all of my UEFI setup parameters before making any changes. I made sure Clover was fully updated. I then updated from flash drive via the UEFI setup utility and the "Flash System ROM" option. After applying the update from 2.99 to 3.06, all settings were retained. Time from the UEFI boot screen to Clover, to the login screen is slightly improved, from eight seconds to five. (approximately) Nothing broke in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back