i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The M1 iMac outperforms the HP by a country mile and the iMac display is sharp and clear at 4.5K, but people are still choosing the HP over the newest iMac. The HP is the #2 best seller on Amazon while the iMac is not even showing up on the Top 50 best sellers list currently. It comes in at #69.

Screen Shot 17.jpg
Screen Shot 2.jpg

Most likely the price is a major factor as the HP only costs less than half as much. The average American family doesn't really need M1 speed to search the internet, read email and consume content. They don't want to pay over $1300 to do this on a new iMac. Nearly everyone has some Windows 10 experience as well. It's familiar to them. The new base model M1 Mac mini is selling great though as you can get one for around $600 on Amazon.

The HP AIO has much more conventional I/O
The HP has a lot more ports than the iMac does. That probably factors into the choice for consumers. Who has USB C peripherals anyway ? Having a built in ethernet jack, HDMI output and 4 USB type A ports likely matters to many people. Some may even have old DVDs they want to play. You could connect this up to any TV via the HDMI output on back.

1629118034932.png

Last edited:
HP even tried to copy the AL iMac keyboard, gave it number keys, and something that tries to look like a Magic Mouse but fails horribly. The iMac also doesn't have those wonderful AMD stickers on the front chin. A thin black bezel around the monitor is the best thing going for this HP all in one.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Just checked today, now it's even outselling the M1 Mac mini too.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Windows does have a larger install base than Macintosh. So not surprising. Although the Mac is doing quite well on Amazon.

Mac is doing quite well on Amazon.
Yes, the $699 M1 mini has been a real boon to Apple's Mac sales. They know quite well that the best way to get Windows users to switch is to lower the price and make a Mac that works with their old display, keyboard and mouse. This was the strategy with the original $499 Mac mini back in 2005. It's what got me to switch from Windows XP back then. The difference now is that the new M1 way outperforms most anything Intel makes (single core performance) when back in 2005 the PPC G4 CPU in the original mini was rather weak and slow.

The Intel i7 version of the HP AIO costs about the same as the new base M1 iMac model but offers more ram and SSD storage. The ram is upgradable to 32 GB. Has a touch screen monitor too. Would be interesting to see if this would make a good Hackintosh or not. It's 10th gen Intel and has UHD 630 graphics.

1629282746110.png

The Intel i7 version of the HP AIO costs about the same as the new base M1 iMac model but offers more ram and SSD storage. The ram is upgradable to 32 GB. Has a touch screen monitor too. Would be interesting to see if this would make a good Hackintosh or not. It's 10th gen Intel and has UHD 630 graphics.

View attachment 527218

Good thread. :thumbup:

I'm surprised that more AIO PCs don't make it into the Hackintosh world. They can be fine machines. A few years back my kids senior school dumped their iMacs and replaced them all with Lenovo AIOs instead. (Interestingly after first having tested/installed/converted to Windows via BootCamp on the iMacs).

When a large school with a large budget does this there must be valid educational reasons, not just money, which was topped-up by parent support groups etc. anyway. (We call them PTA in the UK).

Often AIOs can be nothing more than vertical laptops, component-wise, but 10th Gen Intel with UHD630 iGPU is strictly desktop PC components.

:)

Often AIOs can be nothing more than vertical laptops, component-wise, but 10th Gen Intel with UHD630 iGPU is strictly desktop PC components.
I've used both the HP AIO and a new base model iMac 24" and both were well made. Nothing HP makes has the awesome 4.5K monitor that you'll see on the iMac. That would be the main selling point for the iMac along with the faster M1. The HP of course is dragged down by Win10 but that could probably be remedied with a little hackintosh ingenuity. I'd bet you can get the touchscreen to work with macOS Big Sur/Monterey as well.

I've used both the HP AIO and a new base model iMac 24" and both were well made. Nothing HP makes has the awesome 4.5K monitor that you'll see on the iMac. That would be the main selling point for the iMac along with the faster M1. The HP of course is dragged down by Win10 but that could probably be remedied with a little hackintosh ingenuity. I'd bet you can get the touchscreen to work with macOS Big Sur/Monterey as well.

I've never seen a new iMac in the flesh, so have no idea how good they look, nor how fine the display is. I can imagine it's pretty good.

But it's not upgradable, or repairable - by the average consumer. It's basically a limited-life unit, just like an expensive mobile-phone. That's a fact I find difficult to reconcile considering the price.

Does the hp come in yellow?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back