Contribute
Register

HowTo: Real Thunderbolt HotPlug/HotSwap on the fly

I did, but with some weird caveats that made it a wash. Hotswap working, but cannot have devices plugged in during boot up or shutdown, and the computer would sometimes restart once shutdown. Progress is being made but a lot of stuff still needs figuring out. :)

Hey,
can you tell us what you'e done so far?
how did you get around the Thunderbolt Force Power?

@Mork_vom_Ork Thanks a lot for the guide, I am trying to get it going with the same board (Z270 SuperCarrier). I managed to unlock the bios (latest 2.40) using AMIBCD and set all the options as on your screenshots. I've made an SSDT from the guide and added it to OpenCore. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. Should it work with OC?

Last edited:
Following up: I've managed to get Thunderbolt hot plug working on Z270 SuperCarrier under 10.15.6 and OpenCore by using the following SSDTs.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 263
  • SSDT-TYPC.aml
    715 bytes · Views: 227
Another follow-up: please note that the OPs BIOS configuration options are required for hotplug to work, the SSDT patches won't work without BIOS/UEFI changes.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed guide! Unfortunately, didn't work for my system

Asus B550-Plus
Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR
Universal Audio Apollo

I attach a screenshot with my IO paths. I have 3 entries instead of 2: PT02 - > PT20 -> X162. I tried various combinations of these in the SSDT, neither worked. I also attach my config.plist.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• config.plist
    53.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.00.27 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 11.00.27 am.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 197
Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed guide! Unfortunately, didn't work for my system

Asus B550-Plus
Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR
Universal Audio Apollo

I attach a screenshot with my IO paths. I have 3 entries instead of 2: PT02 - > PT20 -> X162. I tried various combinations of these in the SSDT, neither worked. I also attach my config.plist.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
I know this is older, but did you ever get your Apollo working right?

I know this is older, but did you ever get your Apollo working right?
Hi Jiffy do you have fully working thunderbolt (I'm thinking about an apollo or rednet)

I did, but with some weird caveats that made it a wash. Hotswap working, but cannot have devices plugged in during boot up or shutdown, and the computer would sometimes restart once shutdown. Progress is being made but a lot of stuff still needs figuring out. :)
Hey Canyondust - you seem one of the most dedicated to getting TB3 working properly on the GA Z170x UD5 - just wondering if you'd gotten any further or given up or found any new leads?

Back