Contribute
Register

How to use disable one of two GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iGPU on my motherboard only has HDMI or DVI outputs, so I used an HDMI cable to my monitor for the test. I cloned my config.plist and made your modifications, and also changed to iGPU enabled as default in BIOS. But afterwards, about 2/3 the way through booting-up, the white Apple logo switches to having a red rectangle around it and the white progress bar turns green. After that the display freezes... but I think the OS actually continues to boot "behind" the frozen display. (I have a little mp3 tune play automatically as a startup item, and the tune does eventually play even though I can't see the desktop on my monitor). No idea why I don't have the luck you did with the config.plist settings, maybe it's a mobo difference from yours, or the fact I'm using HDMI, or the fact I recently started using lilu and WhateverGreen (whose guide, posted here on tonymac86, specifically says not to have any "Inject" boxes checked under the Graphics section in conflig.plist.)
Seems like you are using wrong SMBIOS. Try to set iMac 18.1 smbios.

Interesting idea... I've always set mine to 18,3 because I have a i7-7700 KabyLake CPU and a 27" 4K monitor. But tonight I'll try setting it to 18,1 for the test and will post the result here, thanks!

Interesting idea... I've always set mine to 18,3 because I have a i7-7700 KabyLake CPU and a 27" 4K monitor. But tonight I'll try setting it to 18,1 for the test and will post the result here, thanks!
18.3 is for a build with dGPU. If you are using iGPU only then you should go with 18.1.

OK, that makes sense. BTW I normally connect the GTX1080 to my monitor with a DP cable, should I keep that connected even though I'm hoping the 1080 gets disabled with this test config?

18.3 is for a build with dGPU. If you are using iGPU only then you should go with 18.1.

Success! Thanks for your help! Now at least I can upgrade to Mojave until (if) the NVIDIA webdrivers are released. Got HDMI from iGPU, and also able to keep the DP connected from my 1080 card to use when I boot into Windows for gaming.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 6.08.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 6.08.22 PM.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 270
Like this:

23646973706C6179 applies only to the GTX 1080?
I have the GTX 1070 what should I indicate?
where can these indications be detected?
thank you

I know this is an old thread, but I can confirm that this works with my RTX 2080.

I'm using an Azus Z270-A with 630 Kaby Lake on board with Display Port connector. This was a long and annoying battle, getting the 630 to not have a ton of graphical glitches. I didn't realize the glitches were a result of the RTX 2080 being plugged in but not disabled via Clover.

Thank you.

My mobo only has DVI and HDMI ports, so for me it's the HDMI from onboard that I use for Mac Mojave, and for Windows gaming I use the DP from GeForce 1080. This arrangement has been working fine for more than month now, tho my monitor's Input Source button is getting a little rickety from the frequent use (pressing once when I boot into Windows, and pressing again when I shut down Windows so that Clover displays via HDMI when rebooting into Mac). Ideally I'd find some way to have Windows automatically switch to the DP when it starts up, but so far no luck finding any way to do that.

I know this is an old thread, but I can confirm that this works with my RTX 2080.

I'm using an Azus Z270-A with 630 Kaby Lake on board with Display Port connector. This was a long and annoying battle, getting the 630 to not have a ton of graphical glitches. I didn't realize the glitches were a result of the RTX 2080 being plugged in but not disabled via Clover.

Thank you.
Hey, I'm in the same boat with an RTX 2060, can you tell me exactly what worked for you? Because I'm very confused by salomonfr's config

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back