Contribute
Register

How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

You have to make a dos bootable USB stick and put the Gigabyte uefi Install utility and the UEFI bios on it, the AWARE utility will not upgrade to UEFI. The utility and bios you pull from Gigbyte site and to make a dos bootable stick just google it, I can't remember where I got mine from. Hope this helps.

I get a "BIOS ID check error" every time I attempt to flash my BIOS to UEFI [GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 w/F11 firmware]. I'm positive I downloaded the correct UEFI.

Do you copy paste all the files from the UEFI .exe file directly onto the DOS drive, or into a specific folder? My UEFI .exe files contain a "autoexec.bat" file that always asks if it should replace the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file on my DOS USB drive.

Help?

Hello Mate ur my last hope Ive flash uefi over award on ga z68x ud3-3 rev.1.3. Flashing went Well, but i could enter BIOS...pc would freez, or I can see uefi blue screen but nothin There, only mouse icon frozen on screen. After multiple restart Ive been able to enter win7. When i enter win Ive done ur tutorial how to revert from uefi to award. Ive done it sucesfully, but after I've tryed one more time, still same no uefi bios. But big prob. Started second time when I was trying to revert to award. Cmd finished OK, I've rest. My pc bios f12 was there, but while I was changing IDE to ahaci comp. froze. I've restarted than suddenly uefi bios recover started, telling me that one of bios is damaged or something and that it will fix it. But as that recovering started pc has restart, by himself. After that pc won't boot or post. He just spins my vents and shuts down, one time after another. Did I brick my board....pls help

wow...after 30 min or so, I've come back and start up my pc again...this time I left him spining my vents and shutting down, after 5-6 times he start to boot..WTF...and again I got uefi mess. ''Main bios is corrupted, we will repair it. After bios was repaird pc boot and this time I got UEFI bios...all workin now. I don't know what happend but im glad it's working.

In my experience, FreeDOS doesn't work. It gives a fixture not removed error after flashing, and you are stuck with the ancient BIOS. You'll need a Windows 98 bootdisk if you can't flash.

FreeDos doesn't work for me either.
I've did it with UltaBootCD http://www.ultrabootcd.com/howto.htm
Is more easy
1- Download
2-unzip
3-unzip the iso
4- go to USBDisk and read the readme.txt and follow the steps (format with "Quick Format" otherwise gonna take hours)
5- after that unzip the UEFIbios.zip downloaded from the Gigabyte site to the DOS Pendrive created before
6- reboot with the pendrive and all gona be done automatically

Hope does it work
Sorry for my english

Not sure if anyone has this figured out yet, just recently had some sucess flashing eufi to my ga zx8xp-ud3 mobo. But i ran into some hiccups trying to boot up from mountain lion on my ssd. It shows up under Serial ATA Port 0 when going thru the "system\ATA Port Information page"
but i cant seem to select it via the "Boot Option Priorities" And my SSD appears with EUFI next to it.

Anyone got this sorted pls update here or pm me pls :|

Actually sleep is the only thing that works not reliable, at least not for me on a Z68XP-UD3 mainboard. I used the UEFI-Bios for some weeks and during this time I used "sleep" every day, the problem is that from time to time sleep fails or better to wake up the system. I would say 7 times of 10 it works but when it fails you have to reboot the whole system to get everything working. The biggest problem was that the network card does not work when the system wakes up… I tried everything, new sleep cycle, unload/load the kext, but the network card was dead only a reboot restored the card.

With the F10 Bios and DSDT sleep works perfect, every single day. Of course if you don't need sleep UEFI is nice, you can remove the DSDT file and then you have to reinstall the audio drivers for systems without a DSDT (check Multibeast for the option) and that's it. With a k-CPU e.g. Core i7-2600k you still need the SSDT but that's not a problem.

I personally need sleep for my system and so I switched back to the F10-Bios (Gigabyte tells you, that you can't switch back but that's not true :), check http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168667 for more informations about how to downgrade from UEFI) and now everything works perfect again :).

did you happen to check if you had USB3 working on your previously running eufi board. Im having the almost same setup as you, only glitch now is that i can seem to choose my ssd as my boot device via the "Boot options" in the EUFI

Ran through the same audio prob, but that was an easy fix with a new audio kext.

Not sure if anyone has this figured out yet, just recently had some sucess flashing eufi to my ga zx8xp-ud3 mobo. But i ran into some hiccups trying to boot up from mountain lion on my ssd. It shows up under Serial ATA Port 0 when going thru the "system\ATA Port Information page"
but i cant seem to select it via the "Boot Option Priorities" And my SSD appears with EUFI next to it.

Anyone got this sorted pls update here or pm me pls :|

Just solved it after browsing ard for a bit. It seems i just had to unplug all other drives and only connect my single boot drive first. Once i get to choose my drive via EUFI "boot options", save it and just connect everything else. found my fix here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/73602-uefi-but-no-p0-boot-option-z77-ds3h.html

Just solved it after browsing ard for a bit. It seems i just had to unplug all other drives and only connect my single boot drive first. Once i get to choose my drive via EUFI "boot options", save it and just connect everything else. found my fix here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...3602-uefi-but-no-p0-boot-option-z77-ds3h.html

Under Bios features about the fourth or fifth item is "Hard Drive BBS Priorities", that is where you set it first then secondly up above in "Boot Option 1".

Save yourself all the trouble and do what I did. I flashed it back to the F13 Bios.

How did you manage to flash it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back