Contribute
Register

How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to dual boot a Windows 7 disk and a Mac OSX 10.8 disk. Under Boot Option#1 the OSX drive always shows UEFI. I can never get it to boot to OSX. It always boots to the Windows 7 disk. There is no other option. I have tried switching ports and it makes no difference. My sleep doesn't work either neither does my HD 6870 graphics that was working great before I upgraded the bios.

I do believe I will be flashing back unless I can figure out how to dual boot without holding down the f12 key each time.

Any ideas?

I have two problems.

!. My startup drive is only listed as UEFI in the boot options. I can boot to it only by pressing F12 and selecting it as P0 - Corsair SSD

2. Most importantly, When I boot to the drive, after the apple logo and spinning wheel the screen just goes black, then nothing. Monitors power down. So essentially my system is bricked! Any help! Please!

Article: How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

I have two problems.

!. My startup drive is only listed as UEFI in the boot options. I can boot to it only by pressing F12 and selecting it as P0 - Corsair SSD

2. Most importantly, When I boot to the drive, after the apple logo and spinning wheel the screen just goes black, then nothing. Monitors power down. So essentially my system is bricked! Any help! Please!

Save yourself all the trouble and do what I did. I flashed it back to the F13 Bios.

Actually sleep is the only thing that works not reliable, at least not for me on a Z68XP-UD3 mainboard. I used the UEFI-Bios for some weeks and during this time I used "sleep" every day, the problem is that from time to time sleep fails or better to wake up the system. I would say 7 times of 10 it works but when it fails you have to reboot the whole system to get everything working. The biggest problem was that the network card does not work when the system wakes up… I tried everything, new sleep cycle, unload/load the kext, but the network card was dead only a reboot restored the card.

With the F10 Bios and DSDT sleep works perfect, every single day. Of course if you don't need sleep UEFI is nice, you can remove the DSDT file and then you have to reinstall the audio drivers for systems without a DSDT (check Multibeast for the option) and that's it. With a k-CPU e.g. Core i7-2600k you still need the SSDT but that's not a problem.

I personally need sleep for my system and so I switched back to the F10-Bios (Gigabyte tells you, that you can't switch back but that's not true :), check http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168667 for more informations about how to downgrade from UEFI) and now everything works perfect again :).

Don´t use BACK_2_AWARD if you deside to go back to old bios.
Use efi2awd
http://www.mediafire.com/file/44l4l5...r2/efi2awd.zip

It´s made by gigabyte and is much safer to use
You can read more here
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-634-print.html

I am trying to dual boot a Windows 7 disk and a Mac OSX 10.8 disk. Under Boot Option#1 the OSX drive always shows UEFI. I can never get it to boot to OSX. It always boots to the Windows 7 disk. There is no other option. I have tried switching ports and it makes no difference. My sleep doesn't work either neither does my HD 6870 graphics that was working great before I upgraded the bios. <br>
<br>
I do believe I will be flashing back unless I can figure out how to dual boot without holding down the f12 key each time.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?
<br>
<br>Go to BIOS Features/Hard Drive BBS Priorities<br>There you can change the bootorder<br>

Attachments

• 120822120903.jpg
    120822120903.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 700
  • 120822120919.jpg
    120822120919.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,002

I am trying to dual boot a Windows 7 disk and a Mac OSX 10.8 disk. Under Boot Option#1 the OSX drive always shows UEFI. I can never get it to boot to OSX. It always boots to the Windows 7 disk. There is no other option. I have tried switching ports and it makes no difference. My sleep doesn't work either neither does my HD 6870 graphics that was working great before I upgraded the bios.

I do believe I will be flashing back unless I can figure out how to dual boot without holding down the f12 key each time.

Any ideas?

Go to BIOS Features / Hard Drive BBS Priorities
There you can change HD boot order120822120919.jpg
120822120903.jpg

The only way you can do it is to use the supplied flash utility. You need to do this from a "DOS" bootable USB drive.

I download the bios version to gigabyte web page I created a usb in a pc windows and then connect the usb I use Qflash for update but here is the problem the pc made a error imposible update this is not the version i dont know the exact message but something like that

Someone can help me

I download the bios version to gigabyte web page I created a usb in a pc windows and then connect the usb I use Qflash for update but here is the problem the pc made a error imposible update this is not the version i dont know the exact message but something like that

Someone can help me

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html

Someone can help me

That's not you do it. The UEFI update comes with a utility that you have to flash it with, Qflash will NOT upgrade from BIOS to UEFI or downgrade from UEFI to BIOS.

Go to BIOS Features / Hard Drive BBS Priorities
There you can change HD boot orderView attachment 29068
View attachment 29069

I had too many issues so I flashed it back to the F13 Bios. I didn't know about the boot menu. I only saw the menu on Bios Page not the BBS menu. Sleep didn't work nor could I get my graphics card to work. Sapphire HD 6870. It works great all ports with an edited connector table with the standard Award Bios. Networking didn't work well either. I will wait till some of the bugs are worked out then try it again.

Windows 7 booted really fast. That was a nice change. Also I keep reading that a DSDT is needed to get everything working properly. If a DSDT is still needed what is the point of the UEFI Bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back