Contribute
Register

How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

My boot drive's set to UEFI and it works fine. I don't have EHCI hand-off enabled either?

I have the boot drive set as UEFI as well and no (apparent) problems...

I cannot find an option in the UEFI bios for making USB flash drives as the first boot device. Has anyone found this option?

Re-install the audio kexts using MultiBeast.

I'v tried pretty much every option / combo in multibeast, with no avail. All it says in system profiler is "Intel High Definition Audio" and says "Audio ID: 0"

Might have to consider a USB Dongle for now.

thanks worked great. Only problem I had was when I tried overclocking Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 v1.3 F13
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz to 40Ghz my geekbench score halved. I set the SSDT to i5 Overclocked in Multibeast V4.6.1 made no difference. Any ideas?

I cannot find an option in the UEFI bios for making USB flash drives as the first boot device. Has anyone found this option?

Hit F12 on boot and it should show up. I presume you have the USB drive plugged in? As otherwise it doesn't show up in the list of devices you can boot from.

Hit F12 on boot and it should show up. I presume you have the USB drive plugged in? As otherwise it doesn't show up in the list of devices you can boot from.

The Legacy BIOS allowed you to set USB flash drive as the default 1st boot device. It looks as if the UEFI does not provide this option.

I used F12 boot menu to install Mountain Lion with Unibeast, but it is of course more convenient if the system boots the USB automatically----I kept forgetting to press F12.

The Legacy BIOS allowed you to set USB flash drive as the default 1st boot device. It looks as if the UEFI does not provide this option.

I used F12 boot menu to install Mountain Lion with Unibeast, but it is of course more convenient if the system boots the USB automatically----I kept forgetting to press F12.

You can, but it has to be plugged in. Plug it in, go into the UEFI and it should show up there and you can select it and save the settings. However, they will go back to the secondary boot drive if you detach the USB drive.

Actually sleep is the only thing that works not reliable, at least not for me on a Z68XP-UD3 mainboard. I used the UEFI-Bios for some weeks and during this time I used "sleep" every day, the problem is that from time to time sleep fails or better to wake up the system. I would say 7 times of 10 it works but when it fails you have to reboot the whole system to get everything working. The biggest problem was that the network card does not work when the system wakes up… I tried everything, new sleep cycle, unload/load the kext, but the network card was dead only a reboot restored the card.

With the F10 Bios and DSDT sleep works perfect, every single day. Of course if you don't need sleep UEFI is nice, you can remove the DSDT file and then you have to reinstall the audio drivers for systems without a DSDT (check Multibeast for the option) and that's it. With a k-CPU e.g. Core i7-2600k you still need the SSDT but that's not a problem.

I personally need sleep for my system and so I switched back to the F10-Bios (Gigabyte tells you, that you can't switch back but that's not true :)) and now everything works perfect again :).

I wonder if some Bios Tweaking would make it work or not? I have the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Rev 1.0 and after reading your post I will hold off. There was link somewhere I don't remember that got you to Gigabytes UK site with each Z68 board showing the UEFI bios just the other day but now it seems they removed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back