Contribute
Register

How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

My boot drive's set to UEFI and it works fine. I don't have EHCI hand-off enabled either?

Interesting, as I can't boot from UEFI drives on my UD5H for whatever reason, so it's possible that some UEFI's are different. As for EHCI, I had problems getting USB 2.0 working at one point and enabling it solved the problem, but clearly this doesn't apply to all cases then. What hardware are you using btw?

This kind of feedback is helpful, as we simply don't have access to all possible hardware configurations, but it'll help us narrow things down over time.

Lostswede, can you comment on how a gigabyte motherboard with UEFI differs from an ASUS one that has been flashed with a modified firmware compatible for mac? Is it exactly the same at that point (besides the different ethernet, usb and audio controllers)? Just curious

Why can't we just use the qflash utility built into the gigabyte bios, is there a reason we need to use a dos bootable usb drive?

thelostswede, thanks for the guide!!! Ever since seeing the UEFI update for my Z68M-D2H, I've been itching to do it, but was frankly scared it might ruin something. I'll be doing this a little later though, and I'll be sure to comment with anything I encounter!

Why can't we just use the qflash utility built into the gigabyte bios, is there a reason we need to use a dos bootable usb drive?

Yes, as it's a special upgrade procedure as you're moving from BIOS to UEFI and you have to actually erase the BIOS chip entirely and it's then being re-flashed with new content, it's not just a simply update.

Lostswede, can you comment on how a gigabyte motherboard with UEFI differs from an ASUS one that has been flashed with a modified firmware compatible for mac? Is it exactly the same at that point (besides the different ethernet, usb and audio controllers)? Just curious

I'm the wrong person to answer this, as I don't have an Asus board, so you'd really have to ask someone that has both... sorry...

its too early to tell (modded bioses just released on the forum, so some users may still be using easybeast/nullcpu etc which would cause issues with sleep), but it would seem that there are boards which are completely "dsdt-free" like the gigabyte 7series boards (eg. maximus v gene, p8z77-m pro), whereas there are known models (eg. p8z77-i deluxe) which do not sleep yet.

the sleep issue may need dsdt edits (as was the case with previous h61/h67 boards, dsdt solution found by toleda on those, and he owns a p8z77-i deluxe so fingers crossed...), however everything else so far is working without a modded dsdt on all models.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that my motherboard is supported. Thansk for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back