Contribute
Register

How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series motherboards

So what user error on our parts would you attribute (to us both), that would result in the message posted in Smiling Goats Picture below?

Hard to say, but looks like a power management issue, is HPET enabled? It's possible that the UEFI is different and you're not getting DSDT free operation, the easiest way to test that is to install the nullcpupowermanagement kext and see if the system works. These are still beta releases, so it's possible that something is different with this specific board, but I'm not sure how it could be.

I have the same problem as somebody above that while the install is all fine and working, to even get the OSX hard disk SSD to boot, I have to keep pressing F12 at boot. When I look in boot options, there does not exist a "Px" option for the OSX SSD, only for the windows one! I only get a "UEFI" option for the OS drive. This is bizarre as the OSX one is the first device in the SATA chain. When I push F12, I do get a "Px" option for the OSX drive. Ideas?

I have the same problem as somebody above that while the install is all fine and working, to even get the OSX hard disk SSD to boot, I have to keep pressing F12 at boot. When I look in boot options, there does not exist a "Px" option for the OSX SSD, only for the windows one! I only get a "UEFI" option for the OS drive. This is bizarre as the OSX one is the first device in the SATA chain. When I push F12, I do get a "Px" option for the OSX drive. Ideas?

Sadly no, I'm going to try to figure that one out next week, but it's frustrating. It appears to be a random issue and happens on the 7-series boards too. It's fine one install, but not the next.

Just updated my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 to UEFI.
OS X 10.7.5 work ok without DSDT file. :)

Just want to share my personal situation with the uefi bios.
Sorry friends...its just a crap.
Apart from good looking there are too many problems that keeps me out of this.
As i need duall boot meaning need windows for my job, the only things that is a little bit plus on this bios such as the no need of dsdt and the bios post at boot. Apart from that i lost...
The ability to change the cpu clock
The ability to change my memory clock including multiplier and profile
Mouse in bios is laggy(dont care its a bios)
Bsods all the time
And the biggest problem from my side is that i lost the sli support.
Even in windows the nvidia panel just cannot see my second card.
I really not suggesting to anyone this upgrade till gigabyte update it to a more stable version.
This is also not a law but its a fact that many users experience tha same problems while some others dont.
I dont know why is that happening but is better to make a dsdt file instead of put your build in an unstable situation.
Also i know only one method to go back to award bios and this is a little finger crossed method as you have to flash it via cmd from windows(at least for me).
This is just personal opinion.
Sorry for the big post but i dont even like my enemies to pass through all this....ok i dont care about them :p

EDIT: This one worked for me fine for downgrade
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168667

Everything is working fine for me except one thing. Everytime i start my mac the uefi says "boot failure detected". I have the possibility to choose between "load optimized defaults" and "enter bios". When i enter bios and exit it without saving the mac just boots fine, but its really annoying to enter bios at every start. Its probably only a wrong setting. Anyone with a similar problem?

PLEASE HELP!!! I went ahead and followed this to update my z68xp-ud3 v1.3 board, everything appeared to go ok - it got to the screen telling me to power down. I powered down and unplugged it for about 30secs. Since powering back up it seems as if the computer is not recognizing keyboard input. I have tried usb and PS/2 keyboards. I can hit delete or F12, and it will bring up the boot options, but will not let me select anything, using the arrows or anything, and when I go into the settings, it's just kind of a blank blue screen with no options. It gave me options on delete once, but they're not appearing again.

If I have no key input I can not select the usb stick to try and reflash! Help! Any ideas? This is my main computer and I'm kicking myself right now for messing with it when everything was working great except for sleep and USB3. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

UEFI issues

I have a GA68XP-UD3 rev 1.3, with a i72600k, I botched my fully working Lion install trying to update to 10.7.5 so I decided to go ahead and update to the UEFI and hopefully cure it by getting rid of the DSDT. So now neither of my mac installs will boot (lion 10.7.5 and snow leopard 10.6.8 on separate drives and yes I only have one connected at a time when trouble shooting. Even my Snow Leopard Retail DVD hangs with a spinning circle. My win7 is working flawlessly (yuck) so nothing wrong with the new BIOS install, I have done everything as per Tony's directions. I'm stumped.... thinking of going back to AWARE BIOS. Anyone can help before I rollback? (Snow leopard install disk had no problems on old BIOS)....... :(

I have tried -x and DSDT=No

My brand new working SL install boots to a white screen only.

Just updated my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 to UEFI.
OS X 10.7.5 work ok without DSDT file. :)

Hello,
How did you flashed your Bios to UEFI? Because for me it isn't working and I have the board. :banghead:

Thanks in advance
-Krik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back