Contribute
Register

How to Update Your Gigabyte Motherboard's BIOS

What eventually worked for me was forcing FLASHSPI to work using certain switches, as seen here (last post): https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8288.0

In FlashSPI use the /X or /Z switch, must be capital letter. Be sure you are using the latest FlashSPI that came with the newest BIOS you have

So try

A> FlashSPI BIOSfileName.Fxx /X

or

A> FlashSPI BIOSfileName.Fxx /Z

If that fails try /F switch instead (Above are both force too, but one will flash BIOS BIOSes at once) If you do use the /F switch BE SURE you have the correct version of BIOS for your version of motherboard (IE Rev. 1.0 BIOS for Rev. 1.0 board, 2.0 BIOS for 2.0 board, ect.)

What eventually worked for me was forcing FLASHSPI to work using certain switches, as seen here (last post): https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8288.0
Yup, it worked. Just to be clear, I created a freedos flash drive then installed the flashspi.exe file and the X58AUD3R.FH file. At the freedos prompt, typed FlashSPI X58AUD3R.FH /Z. The only change was the clover boot screen and subsequent verbose screens switched to lower resolution. I haven't figured that one out yet, however, when I click on 'exit clover' the clover boot screen returns to full resolution.
It's kinda nice to have having my 8yo system running (pretty decently,~2700/9600 Geekbench) on Mojave.

Hi. How do I know if I need to update my BIOS? I have a Gigabyte GA-H110N motherboard, and I want to install High Sierra. My BIOS version is F2. I'm completely new.

Hi. How do I know if I need to update my BIOS? I have a Gigabyte GA-H110N motherboard and I want to install High Sierra. My BIOS version is F2. I'm completely new.

F24 would appear to be the latest BIOS version for your board. Updating BIOS isn't always necessary unless you are having some issues or wish to upgrade your CPU to a later supported model. You are likely to be fine to go ahead and install High Sierra.

Hi. How do I know if I need to update my BIOS? I have a Gigabyte GA-H110N motherboard, and I want to install High Sierra. My BIOS version is F2. I'm completely new.
Go to the Gigabyte web page for your motherboard. Click on the Support link, then click on BIOS. You see a list of the past and current BIOS version.

Thanks. I have the link already but I was not sure if I need to update or not. What is your suggestion?

Thanks. I have the link already but I was not sure if I need to update or not. What is your suggestion?

A lot of the recent bios versions have to do with security like the specter and meltdown bugs. If it’s not a big concern then stick with an earlier version as some of these recent bios changes may slow down cpu performance rates.

Thank you very much.

If you don't need to fix anything and you don't need support for newer CPUs or what ever else the new BIOS versions offer, LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't fix what isn't broken unless you just like to putz around with stuff.

If I were you, I would update the BIOS to F22. That would gain support for 7th generation CPUs (Kaby Lake) and fixes for some vulnerabilities. F24 provided fix for the Spectre vulnerabilities discovered last year, but may not be too relevant to most of us so I would leave it alone.

Of course if your primary objective is to run High Sierra and have no need for new CPU support, then I suppose leaving the BIOS at F2 should be fine.

Back