Contribute
Register

How to Update Your Gigabyte Motherboard's BIOS

Yes. Shows 32 in "About this Mac" as well.
Seems to be working now with no freezes. I switched the ram that was in slots 3 & 4 with the ram that was in 1 & 2.
I've been running some hefty Pro Tools sessions, and all is good the last few days.

Yes. Ever since, I've had no freezes with pro tools, watching movies or anything.
Still not sure why I can't update the BIOS to F9, but everything seems solid now so....

Hello,

I have a question, i have a Z170X gaming 3 MoBo, everything is working fine with windows and High Sierra,
But i see my bios version is still on F7, and F23b is already out.

is it save to update my bios, or will it effect my hackintosh setup ?
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Newly released updater F22B for Gigabyte H170-wifi (and probably related -100 series boards) is out as of yesterday. It fixes an firmware exploitable hole so makes sense to want to update for security reasons. But I did so and had immediate problems booting. The apple icon appeared but the progress bar remained stuck at the origin. Turns out this is an issue that has been seen in firmware updates into anything >= to F20 for these boards. The fix that worked for me was this to boot once:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/page-9#post-1460678

And subsequently this :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/page-9#post-1460695
to make change permanent.
That thread also has other suggestions for video issue created by updating from older firmware.

All is as it was before. My graphics works (Intel hd530) and audio as before.

I'm trying to upgrade my GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 firmware from version FE to FH.

BIOS Q-Flash sees the file X58AUD3R.FH on my USB, but says "File size incorrect."

I do not have Windows installed. I tried disabling hyperthreading etc (Googling showed this as a suggestion) but to no avail.

Do I really need to install Windows just to upgrade my BIOS?

Is it even worth the bother?

Well today I updated my bios to the latest F22h.
The BIOS looks really different, at first I could only boot my windows, but after some tweaking I got to clover.

Everything seems to be working fine, and finally no more multiple boot entries !

If you are running OS X now using the 4790K, then, yes, you can flash the BIOS to the latest version, and it won't affect your OS X installation.

Updated Gigabyte H170N-WIFI BIOS from 22b to newly released 22e (-100 board) (addressing Specter and Meltdown microcode fixes). So far, all well. Have not done detailed time trials, but can't perceive any slowdown.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Were you ever able to figure it out?

I'm trying to upgrade my GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 firmware from version FE to FH.

BIOS Q-Flash sees the file X58AUD3R.FH on my USB, but says "File size incorrect."

I do not have Windows installed. I tried disabling hyperthreading etc (Googling showed this as a suggestion) but to no avail.

Do I really need to install Windows just to upgrade my BIOS?

Is it even worth the bother?

Back