Contribute
Register

How to Update + Current and Past apfs.efi Downloads

I'm about to give up on upgrading to High Sierra - I have done this several times on different days to no avail. I have followed the instructions to the letter. It just stop short of the last few percent of installing it and it hasn't even started rebooting. Any ideas on how I can resolve this or just go ahead and try installing mojave instead? Any advice?

The Clover developers recommend installing both on all APFS Hackingtosh Systems in place of Apple's apfs.efi driver.
Will Mojave apfs.efi versions still be provided on forum links or is it definitely abandoned ?

With ApfsDriverLoader.efi, you do not need apfs.efi anymore. That is why the latest Clover replaced apfs with ApfsDriverLoader. Even more awesome, AfpsDriverLoader will give you the equivalent of a patched apfs.efi that does not have those annoying messages.

I had problems with APFS and upgrade to high sierra, and ended up reverting and keeping the boot drive on HFS+.

I plan to upgrade to Mojave in due course - no urgency - and I see that it seems to 'enforce' APFS (including conversion on upgrade) more strictly. I'm okay with that overall as I have APFS on a regular mac with no issues, but I would like to make sure that I'm using best practice/preparing the system for APFS properly.

-I've upgraded clover to whatever is in the MultiBeast 10.4, and the apfsdriverloaders are there.
-The boot drive EFI seems to have the most recent APFS.EFI as well. (Is that redundant or potentially a problem? Does the boot system/EFI use the APFSdriverloader preferentially?)
-I've tested conversion of a regular (unneeded) spinning hard drive, and APFS on that seems to work fine.

Any other recommended tests or checks to make sure? I think I'd rather just let the system use APFS than go through the steps required to use it as HFS+.

10.14.1??new efi file ?
If you install lastest Clover with proper drivers, Clover wil load proper efi. Will it work for you? I'm using it on 0.13.6 (17G65) without issues.

Last edited:
I did this for the first time on a fresh Mojave install. There was no apfs.efi file in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ so I just copied the file there without replacing anything. I have an SSD using APFS. Is that normal that the file wouldn't be there the first time?

I did this for the first time on a fresh Mojave install. There was no apfs.efi file in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ so I just copied the file there without replacing anything. I have an SSD using APFS. Is that normal that the file wouldn't be there the first time?

Yes, you have to manually place it there. There is a new feature in clover bootloader options. In customize section in Drivers64efi you can select apfsautoloader. It automatically detects and uses it so you don’t have to worry about updates and compatibility with an old version of apfs. It also allows you to boot into High Sierra and Mojave from the same clover boot loader. If you add that to your Clover/Drivers64efi folder make sure to remove the apfsEFI file.

Sorry, but the instructions 1,2,3,4 below are ambiguous. Could you clarify please? Thanks.

It seems as if we're into a point by point update of apfs.efi in High Sierra.

To find your current apfs.efi:

1. Boot into macOS High Sierra
2. Choose Finder > Go > Go To Folder
3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/
4. Copy apfs.efi to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

macOS Mojave 10.14.0 (18A391)

File attached

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)

File attached

macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 + Supplemental Update (17E202)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B48)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 + Supplemental Update (17A405)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (17A365)

File attached.

Back