Contribute
Register

How to Update + Current and Past apfs.efi Downloads

"put APFS.EFI in ...." which APFS.EFI? The one I would download from the link provided or the one listed under #3, where it says: "3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/"
The provided download has verbosity output removed for a faster cleaner bootup.
"/usr/standalone/i386/" this is where the apfs.efi file is stored if you ever need an un-modified one.

My sincere apologies for the newb question, but I'm struggling to make sense of the above. Do I copy the apfs.efi file located in the directory under #3 and paste it after mounting the EFI partition under Clover Configurator and the path listed in #4? I ask because the date stamp of the apfs.efi file is from 3/15/18. What are the apfs files attached to this thread for then?

Yes, as simple as that.
If you don't want the verbose output on boot then paste the patched version from a few pages back to both locations.

"put APFS.EFI in ...." which APFS.EFI? The one I would download from the link provided or the one listed under #3, where it says: "3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/"
It seems there is 2 differents use cases :
1 - you do not plan to update OS - only need to update your clover version because it is not up to date compared to your macOS version : post#1 indicate "how to" by simply pasting from /usr/standalone/i386/ to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

2 - you plan to update OS : next OS apfs.efi version is still not present on your drive - you have to update clover before updating OS from the post#1 provided links (version choice depends on your OS target update version) - then directly paste download to : /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ - then update OS
Guess this is a good practice in order to avoid OS update issues as Apple updates apfs.efi almost every High Sierra version whereas Clover is not automatically

Is it just me but I don't find this very clear. Are we supposed to update the apfs.efi in both the i386 and the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder before updating?
I had a few scary moments when my machine wouldn't boot to finish the update but in the end I updated the apfs.efi (left the old ones in place but renamed them old just in case) in both folders and I had to add Fake.SMC in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other before it would finish the update. Seems all ok now though.

It's not just you, that "explanation" was horrendously poor.

It seems there is 2 differents use cases :
1 - you do not plan to update OS - only need to update your clover version because it is not up to date compared to your macOS version : post#1 indicate "how to" by simply pasting from /usr/standalone/i386/ to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

2 - you plan to update OS : next OS apfs.efi version is still not present on your drive - you have to update clover before updating OS from the post#1 provided links (version choice depends on your OS target update version) - then directly paste download to : /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ - then update OS
Guess this is a good practice in order to avoid OS update issues as Apple updates apfs.efi almost every High Sierra version whereas Clover is not automatically

This makes much more sense, should be put into the first post. Many thanks!

Updated via App Store, no problems.

Updated via App Store, no problems.

Not sure what you updated, but you cannot update apfs.efi directly via Apple App Store, instead you have to follow procedure described earlier in this thread.

So, please be precise if you post something!

Not sure what you updated, but you cannot update apfs.efi directly via Apple App Store, instead you have to follow procedure described earlier in this thread.

So, please be precise if you post something!
Strange - that was meant for the 13.5 thread...

Of course I would normally be more precise.

The instructions consist of four very simple steps which sadly are beyond your comprehension.
None of them say to download anything, therefore if you follow the instructions the only apfs.efi that is available to be copied is the one that is in your /usr/standalone/i386 folder.

Shower the horse, I'm done.

Well, that answers my question, but the original instructions COULD be a little more precise. Such as - copy the apfs.efi file found in your /usr/standalone/i386/ folder to your /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder.

That would have saved me some heartburn.

It seems as if we're into a point by point update of apfs.efi in High Sierra.

To find your current apfs.efi:

1. Boot into macOS High Sierra
2. Choose Finder > Go > Go To Folder
3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/
4. Copy apfs.efi to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 + Supplemental Update (17E202)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B48)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 + Supplemental Update (17A405)

File attached.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (17A365)

File attached.

Back