Contribute
Register

How to Update + Current and Past apfs.efi Downloads

I have read the past two posts, but should I still have an apfs.efi in EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI/ if I am formatted HFS (and does it differ between mechanical and SSD)?

I have read the past two posts, but should I still have an apfs.efi in EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI/ if I am formatted HFS (and does it differ between mechanical and SSD)?
You only need apfs.efi if you want to access disks that are formatted APFS.

It seems as if we're into a point by point update of apfs.efi in High Sierra.

To find your current apfs.efi:

1. Boot into macOS High Sierra
2. Choose Finder > Go > Go To Folder
3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/
4. Copy apfs.efi to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
Not quite sure I follow the above quotes instructions and how it pertains to "finding" one's current apfs.efi file ???
My "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/" already contains an apfs.efi file ???

I'm currently running High Sierra 10.13.3 I've cloned my drive using CCC and about to update to 10.13.4
If the apfs.efi file gets changed during the update, shouldn't the newly installed apfs.efi file enable clover to see
my mac partition ???

Or post update, am I meant to install "my current" apfs.efi file to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ ???

It seems as if we're into a point by point update of apfs.efi in High Sierra.

To find your current apfs.efi:

1. Boot into macOS High Sierra
2. Choose Finder > Go > Go To Folder
3. Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/
4. Copy apfs.efi to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)

File attached below.

This post a bit confusing.

1. "To find.." but next to this it's says - "copy"
2. Not clear should copy attached file bellow? Why they attached if before said that I shoud find this file somewhere..
3. And copy to /i386 also and\or to drivers64EUFI
4. Also, there is not apfi attached for 10.3.3 for some reason, if this matter anyway.

Here is how to extract apfs.efi from Install macOS High Sierra.app
1. Run
Code:
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
in terminal
2. Go to /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/ and open Core.pkg with Pacifist or Suspicious Package
3. Search for apfs.efi and extract it to your desired location
Code:
hdiutil detach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Last edited:
Yes, it's considered a smart thing to do. You can never tell what has been changed in the updated apfs.efi.

So to update we add the apfs file supplied here to both locations prior to updating system?

Or do we update first and copy the version that gets installed by apple in 'i386' to 'drivers64UEFI'?

So to update we add the apfs file supplied here to both locations prior to updating system?

Or do we update first and copy the version that gets installed by apple in 'i386' to 'drivers64UEFI'?
Neither. Before updating, download the apfs.zip file attached to Post #1, unzip it and replace the one in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ as shown in Post #1. Then, update to 10.13.4.

Neither. Before updating, download the apfs.zip file attached to Post #1, unzip it and replace the one in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ as shown in Post #1. Then, update to 10.13.4.

Thank you very much for clarifying!

Thank you for clarifying and upgrade went through fine.. Still need to test audio and other things..
May be you should update the 1st post..

Everything worked out for me. I did have a problem with the processor reporting in About This Mac. I posted it over @ macOS 10.13.4 Update Thread #195

Back