Contribute
Register

how to uninstall clover from a real Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
how to uninstall clover?

I have been converting a pc to hackintosh, and, after leaving my Mac (its shared) alone for a day, I've only come back to find someone has managed to install the clover boot loader on it (on the real Mac). is there any 'uninstaller'(?), or files I can delete(?), some way to rebuilt the efi partition(? etc) so that my Mac is still the legitimate Mac its always been ?? its not been rebooted since the installation, at least not that I'm aware of.

my Mac is pretty old, and besides the updates, its never been reinstalled or modified in anyway... I was hoping to keep it that way .. ?

Last edited:
Go to top tool bar and select Finder then go to Preferences and then click on the Hard Disk option box. Now all your connected drives will show on your desktop.

If it is running, use EFIMounter to mount the EFI. The EFi folder should now appear on the desktop. Open the EFi folder and remove to trash the boot and Clover folders see all blue highlighted below in pic. Leave your Apple folder. If its not running then you can remove drive and do it with a Hackintosh or other Mac, just be sure to select the right drive before removing.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 11.37.20 AM.png

Attachments

• EFI Mounter v3.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,450
Just to say thanks; I removed the files from the efi folder as suggested and then reboot the Mac. The clover screen didn't appear and the machine appears to be running as it was before.

Gigamaxx
Should there be a file called BOOTLOG in the EFI folder root to make the real iMac run (after correcting the mistake of putting Clover on the wrong hard drive? Or should there only the APPLE folder like you show above after removing the BOOT and CLOVER folders?

I am running an iMac mid-2011 and pulled the same oops as EvilTed did.

Gigamaxx
Should there be a file called BOOTLOG in the EFI folder root to make the real iMac run (after correcting the mistake of putting Clover on the wrong hard drive? Or should there only the APPLE folder like you show above after removing the BOOT and CLOVER folders?

I am running an iMac mid-2011 and pulled the same oops as EvilTed did.
I'm not sure can you post a pic of it? Is it a clover boot log?

Gigamaxx.
I have not rebooted my iMac yet. So I am writing you from it actually... It has a 500GB SSD(system disk), a 1TB Spinning Disk(Data disk) and a 4TB external Time Machine drive.

Here is what was shown in the 500GB SSD EFI before I stepped in the doodoo yesterday, as shown in the 500GB SSD Rood called EFI-Backups that Clover Bootloader created (whoever added that feature to the Clover Bootloader should get a gold star):
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.09.40 AM.png

Here is how my 500GB SSD EFI is now after removing the references you mentioned (deleted the BOOT and CLOVER folders):
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.10.34 AM.png

However, and here is my basis for my question above....

The second, older 1TB spinning hard drive in this PC from when it ran Mavericks way back when in 2011. I never took it out, so it became my data drive after going with the internal 500GB SSD that runs High Sierra (above). That 1TB drive has this (screenshot below) in it's EFI. Its this file called BOOTLOG. Is it needed before I reboot?
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.10.59 AM.png

My Time Machine isn't any help, because the 4TB EFI was not mounted in it, nor the EFI of my 500GB Int SSD, so I don't have a snapshot of what was actually inside of it before I stepped in the doodoo. I only have the EFI-Backup noted above.

So... Is BOOTLOG important or not? I ran it, since it looked to be an executable, and it shows this on the screen.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.36.53 AM.png

So, what do ya think? Do I reboot with or without it?

I don't want to reboot to a black screen if I can avoid it while this iMac is still up and running and accessible... Fun Times.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Easter!
Jeff

Last edited:
Gigamaxx.
I have not rebooted my iMac yet. So I am writing you from it actually... It has a 500GB SSD(system disk), a 1TB Spinning Disk(Data disk) and a 4TB external Time Machine drive.

Here is what was shown in the 500GB SSD EFI before I stepped in the doodoo yesterday, as shown in the 500GB SSD Rood called EFI-Backups that Clover Bootloader created (whoever added that feature to the Clover Bootloader should get a gold star):
View attachment 461667

Here is how my 500GB SSD EFI is now after removing the references you mentioned (deleted the BOOT and CLOVER folders):
View attachment 461668

However, and here is my basis for my question above....

The second, older 1TB spinning hard drive in this PC from when it ran Mavericks way back when in 2011. I never took it out, so it became my data drive after going with the internal 500GB SSD that runs High Sierra (above). That 1TB drive has this (screenshot below) in it's EFI. Its this file called BOOTLOG. Is it needed before I reboot?
View attachment 461672

My Time Machine isn't any help, because the 4TB EFI was not mounted in it, nor the EFI of my 500GB Int SSD, so I don't have a snapshot of what was actually inside of it before I stepped in the doodoo. I only have the EFI-Backup noted above.

So... Is BOOTLOG important or not?

I don't want to reboot to a black screen if I can avoid it while this iMac is still up and running and accessible... Fun Times.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Easter!
Jeff
I've never seen the Bootlog before. You can remove it, you can also remove the EFi backup folder with the r0000. If you run TIME MACHINE or other backup it may replace it.

Looks like 2017 was a bad year for things, Damaged files, Incompatible Software etc..? Happy Easter, stay safe!

Hey GigaMaxx, I AM BACK !!! Yahoo!!!
The reboot went without a hitch.

It was like that manual burn scene in Apollo 13... Two minutes of (I hope it works, I hope it works)...

Hey GigaMaxx, I AM BACK !!! Yahoo!!!
The reboot went without a hitch.

It was like that manual burn scene in Apollo 13... Two minutes of (I hope it works, I hope it works)...
LOL, I know the feeling, I've been there. Its ironic, with Hackintosh I'm used to crashing and burning , but with real Macs it gets scary. You can make a copy of your EFi file and store it on a USB, or get a spare SSD and install OS X with an EFI Partition as a bootable backup. It eases the tension if anything goes wrong, at least you have a backup drive for emergency.

I had visions of having to go into the Genus Bar with my hat in hand begging for forgiveness for my old iMac, to the guy in the blue polo looking down his nose at me... I think they all talk in aristocratic British accents there like in Downton Abby right? "Sorry old chap, but I believe they call this a BRICK!"

Thanks for helping me avoid that through your postings... Happy Easter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back