Graphics
Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I tried the OpenCl patch for my card once but now I bought a GT 640 and I would like to keep libclh.dylib unpatched.
How can I do it without reinstalling again?
I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Thanks!

Quite simple really. If you have the 10.8.2 update on disk, use an app called Pacafist (google it). Mount the 10.8.2 combo.dmg, right click on the OSXUpdCombo10.8.2.pkg file and open with Pacafist. Pacafist is a pay app but will let you use it with a little wait. It will open a window showing the contents of the pkg file. expand the pkg folder, expand Contents of manual, expand contents of OSXUpd10.8.2.pkg. This will show you the folders containing all the files which may be used during an upgrade. Go to Sytem/Library/Extensions folder and drag GeForceGLDriver.bundle to your desktop. Use Kext Utility to install it (if you want it installed properly with repair of permissions and rebuild of kextcahe) or use Kext Beast (I personally don't recommend Kext Beast as a kext install tool.) If you have to use KextBeast, make sure to run disk utility afterwards to repair permissions and use Onyx to rebuild you kextcache. Those are the 2 main things Kext Beast does not seem to do / or do properly.

That simple really. It's even easier if you back up any kext which gets updated or replaced as part of a 'fix' before you make the changes. It just makes life that much easier to go back.

I could just upload it for you, but then you would not be learning anything new.:mrgreen:

You could download latest CUDA.
Look for NVIdia drivers that come after patch (patch applies to fermi card 20 series)
GT640 uses native drivers and download latest NVIDIA drivers (30 series)
Check under Hardware articles for link
This will not reverse patch but it will not be loaded as you are using Kepler card.
Also use latest Chimera.
GT 640 is graphics enabler = no

You could download latest CUDA.
Look for NVIdia drivers that come after patch (patch applies to fermi card 20 series)
GT640 uses native drivers and download latest NVIDIA drivers (30 series)
Check under Hardware articles for link
This will not reverse patch but it will not be loaded as you are using Kepler card.
Also use latest Chimera.
GT 640 is graphics enabler = no

The patch he wants to reverse affects the GeForceGLDriver.bundle - that is all it changes. Sorry, I know you are keen to help and only have good intentions, but...

1. Cuda has nothing at all to do with drivers and does not have the standard GeForceGLDriver.bundle. Cuda is just used by software which supports it to enhance certain procedures by utilizing the graphics card's processor. If you do not have software which uses Cuda, it becomes obsolete. 2. I would not use Nvidia's drivers over the drivers which come with OSX if they work fine (Which they do) - that is looking for trouble - besides which, Apple's drivers have always outperformed standalone drivers from Nvidia. 3. Chimera also has nothing to do with the drivers and also does not contain the GeForceGLDriver.bundle. It is a bootloader. It only allows you to boot OSX and use default pre-sets by using GraphicsEnabler as aprt of an added extra. So installing the latest Chimera is pointless if the drivers are not correct.

A lot of grabbing in the dark... all the OP wants is to reverse the OpenCL patch. OP just do what you originally wanted to do and re-install the GeForceGLDriver.bundle ... you wil then have reversed the patch without jumping through irrelevant hoops.

Is it actually possible to re-install 10.8.2 combo update over an existing 10.8.2 install? If yes, then I would give that a try.

Yes it is possible. If the update is re-installed, you will need to re-install the patched AppleHDA as well as any other kext which was patched.

Yes it is possible. If the update is re-installed, you will need to re-install the patched AppleHDA as well as any other kext which was patched.

Not sure if it helped the OP, but when I try to do this (since I also need to revert, and I have to much stuff for a full reinstall)...

it says in the screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/2r2Q3C2o2a0z

Not sure what to do! or what to remove to get this away ?

Thanks sub zero.
You cleared a few things up.
I will have to reread Tonymac postings on NVIDIA drivers' announcements.
Several times in the past they have helped.
In what way have the Apple drivers outperformed NVIDIA drivers.
In the past I used the now discredited cinebench and got better results with NVIDIA.
I have not done comparison with Unigine Heaven yet
Cards were low performers so difference was minimal.
Also sometimes Open GL Extension Viewer results improved.
I just fell into a practice of using NVIDIA.
With a GT 640 my practices will change. This is a much better card than what I was using previously and more compatible.

You have helped clear up patches for me.
I have always avoided them. At least I know because of you how to reverse video ones.

When 10.8.3 arrives hopefully I will be back to Apple drivers without any extra "irrelevant hoops".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back