Contribute
Register

How to sleep and make cpupowermanagement work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer E1-571 (LA-7912P)
CPU
I5-3210M
Graphics
Intel 4000HD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

Been running OSX 10.8.3 on my Acer E1-571 8gb ram, i5 3rd 2.5ghz, intel 4000hd for almost 3 months now! with not one major hiccup! i just want to enable sleep and the native cpu power controller..

So on my system, im using no DSDT (as there is no need, plus i haven't got any idea where to start) but i am using the Nullcpupowermanagement kext and without it, my system will KP.

However i'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on how to patch the cpupowermanagement kext so it will work without kp'ing? and will this enable speed stepping, turboboost and most importantly.. SLEEP?!

another quick this is.. weirdly, when my laptops not plugged in to the mains, it will sleep?! but plugged in.. it won't?

would really appreciate some help!

thanks guys!
x

Hey guys,

Been running OSX 10.8.3 on my Acer E1-571 8gb ram, i5 3rd 2.5ghz, intel 4000hd for almost 3 months now! with not one major hiccup! i just want to enable sleep and the native cpu power controller..

So on my system, im using no DSDT (as there is no need, plus i haven't got any idea where to start) but i am using the Nullcpupowermanagement kext and without it, my system will KP.

However i'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on how to patch the cpupowermanagement kext so it will work without kp'ing? and will this enable speed stepping, turboboost and most importantly.. SLEEP?!

another quick this is.. weirdly, when my laptops not plugged in to the mains, it will sleep?! but plugged in.. it won't?

would really appreciate some help!

thanks guys!
x

You will need:
- remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (from Multibeast)
- proper system definition (probably MacBookPro9,1)
- DropSSDT=Yes, GeneratePStates=No, GenerateCStates=No in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- proper SSDT in /Extra/ssdt.aml
- check that your DSDT has Processor objects in Scope (_PR) (load MaciASL and search the right pane for 'Processor')
- further DSDT edits to enable power management...

Generate SSDT: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html

More Ivy power management info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

You will need:
- remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (from Multibeast)
- proper system definition (probably MacBookPro9,1)
- DropSSDT=Yes, GeneratePStates=No, GenerateCStates=No in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- proper SSDT in /Extra/ssdt.aml
- check that your DSDT has Processor objects in Scope (_PR) (load MaciASL and search the right pane for 'Processor')
- further DSDT edits to enable power management...

Generate SSDT: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html

More Ivy power management info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

Thanks for starting me off! at the moment, i've just cloned my hackintosh so i can just test out and see how i can make it work..

I'm using MacBookPro 9,2 as thats for i5 and i7's (mines an i5) does it matter? and do i have to create a DSDT edit to make this work?

I will have a read through the forums, but a step by step guide to this DSDT stuff would be pretty amazing

Thanks for starting me off! at the moment, i've just cloned my hackintosh so i can just test out and see how i can make it work..

I'm using MacBookPro 9,2 as thats for i5 and i7's (mines an i5) does it matter? and do i have to create a DSDT edit to make this work?

You may. Some boards do not include the Processor declarations, that's why I told you to look for them in yours.

I will have a read through the forums, but a step by step guide to this DSDT stuff would be pretty amazing

Not really possible. Although each board may share a lot of common DSDT problems/fixes, each one is also unique and requires specific changes depending on configuration.

You may. Some boards do not include the Processor declarations, that's why I told you to look for them in yours.

By this, where would i look for them?

Not really possible. Although each board may share a lot of common DSDT problems/fixes, each one is also unique and requires specific changes depending on configuration.

I see, so its cant be done generically, right well i've just realised that apart from all the basic stuff.. this DSDT and processor declarations is abit beyond me.. but will give it a shot with the mini guide!

by the way... why would my laptop sleep when on battery and not sleep when plugged in?

I see, so its cant be done generically, right well i've just realised that apart from all the basic stuff.. this DSDT and processor declarations is abit beyond me.. but will give it a shot with the mini guide!

Run MaciASL (and read my prior post) and it will be obvious.

by the way... why would my laptop sleep when on battery and not sleep when plugged in?

Not sure. I haven't used NullCPU on my laptop so can't verify the behavior for you...

Okay so i've had a go this morning and this is what i've done so far...

Deleted the Nullcpumanagement
Installed the patched version

Enable Drop SSDT
(is generate P and C states disabled on default?)

Used ssdtPRGen and its created .aml .dsl

I've also tried to search for the processors on MaciASL.. but i dont really know what im looking for!

thanks

So i'm not sure how to use this MaciASL.. but i open it, and it shows me my system DSDT.. when i go and try to compile the system DSDT.. it gives me a bunch of errors, warnings, and optimisations..
Im guessing this isn't supposed to happen? :crazy:

Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 10.59.35.jpg

So i'm not sure how to use this MaciASL.. but i open it, and it shows me my system DSDT.. when i go and try to compile the system DSDT.. it gives me a bunch of errors, warnings, and optimisations..
Im guessing this isn't supposed to happen? :crazy:

View attachment 58865

You don't have a "bunch of errors"... you have exactly one "error." And it is a pretty common one (TNOT). Remove the second declaration of TNOT and that error will go away. But you don't need to do any DSDT editing/compiling just yet, and therefore have no reason to compile it.

Search (Edit->Find) in the right pane for 'Processor' to see what you have...

You don't have a "bunch of errors"... you have exactly one "error." And it is a pretty common one (TNOT). Remove the second declaration of TNOT and that error will go away. But you don't need to do any DSDT editing/compiling just yet, and therefore have no reason to compile it.

Search (Edit->Find) in the right pane for 'Processor' to see what you have...

Thanks for clearing that up! forget about the TNOT error at the moment (im guessing just searching for TNOT will show me?) but heres a photo of finding processors.. i see there's 8?

Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 18.55.02.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back