Contribute
Register

how to run OSX with one GTX680 and Windows with SLI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 680 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello every one.

I built my first hackintosh a few days ago and was successful. I am currently dual booting windows and Mountain Lion.
I do know that Hackintosh or Macs don't support SLI. However I just got a 2nd GTX680 thinking that I would use it as a SLI card in windows.

Now my question is, Can I SLI 2 GTX680 and use them in windows and still have the OSX support for one card ? lets say if I do install the 2nd GTX 680, what would that do the OSX ? would it make it unbootable ? or will it just support one card in OSX and run SLI in Windows ?

I don't mind if I have to go into bios and turn one card off some how in order to boot into OSX. But I don't know if that is possible through bios. I just don't want to open my case every time I want to boot in to OSX and take out one card, and than reinstall it later on for windows.

If what I want is possible please link a guide or a walk through that I can follow for my purpose.

The components I am using are.
Gigabyte z77x-ud5h (default bios setting at f12)
Core i7 3770k (no over clocking)
2x GTX 680 2GB (currently 1 in system one still packed in case if i have to return it)
Corsair vengeance 32gb 1866
2x Seagate 3TB hard drives for storage
2X Sandisk 240gb SSD (seperate drive for each OS)
Windows 8 pro and Mountain Lion

Thank You so much in advance.

Ok since no one replied I took the risk and opened the packaging of second GTX 680 and poped it into my system. To my surprise i was still able to boot into OSX and it is showing me the second card in system profiler but as a separate entity. Its not contributing any ting for OSX however its not creating any problem for me to boot into OSX.

In windows both cards are working fine in SLI mode.

Looking up for a solution for my problem, yesterday I came across some forum and found out that you can actually use the second GPU in OSX as a CUDA processor for editing in Adobe products etc.
As of now I do not know how to do this, If any one knows how to do this let me know.

If I find the solution first I will post it here.

Thanks for posting this. I was looking at a second 570 GTX with a similar plan in mind.

There is a lot of CUDA + GPU information here: http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

If you mean just getting Adobe to use the cards, it's a simple question of adding yours to cuda_supported_cards.txt in /contents (after clicking show package contents on each program).

I know programs like Davinci Resolve will let you choose which card to use for the GUI and which for rendering, but I've never seen such an option in Adobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back