Contribute
Register

HOW TO: Resolve the "An unknown error has occurred" in the App Store and Resolve Issues with iCloud,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X79-UD5
CPU
Xeon E5-2648L
Graphics
Dual: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HOW TO: Resolve the "An unknown error has occurred" in the App Store and Resolve Issues with iCloud, FaceTime, & iMessage

Because of the number of people who have been having trouble signing into Apple Applications, like the App Store, after upgrading Mountain Lion to 10.8.x (10.8.5), I decided to write this guide on how to resolve the issue.

Here are the problematic Applications, and their errors:

App Store
An unknown error has occurred.

iCloud
Unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud.
Try signing again.

FaceTime
The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

iMessage
The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

Here's how you can resolve these issues:

1. Open EFI Studio (from osx86.net)
2. Select "Ethernet" as the Device, and Press "Add Device".

attachment.php

3. Press the copy "Hex String to Clipboard" button.

attachment.php

4. Open /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist in an editor. Add a new Key named "device-properties" under the "EthernetBuiltIn" Key, and paste the Hex String in the Value field.

attachment.php

Using nano in Terminal:
Code:
sudo nano /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>Kernel</key>
        <string>mach_kernel</string>
        <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>-v darkwake=0 npci=0x2000</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <string>2</string>
        <key>Legacy Logo</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>device-properties</key>
        <string>450000000100000001000000390000000100000002010c00d041030a040000000101060000197fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
</dict>
</plist>

5. Save the file.
7. Remove all devices from System Preferences -> Network, and Apply.
8. Remove NetworkInterfaces.plist & com.apple.network.identification.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
6. Reboot.
8. You should now see "IOBuiltin" as "True" in IORegistryExplorer (Xcode Required) for your Ethernet card.

attachment.php

9. You should now be able to login to the AppStore, and all other Apple applications. :)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• EFIStudio.png
    EFIStudio.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 9,789
  • EFIEditor.png
    EFIEditor.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 9,830
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist.png
    org.chameleon.Boot.plist.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 9,853
  • X79UD5_—_IOService_—_en0.png
    X79UD5_—_IOService_—_en0.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 9,804
Last edited by a moderator:

me5

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks to Bulletproof for helping me to resolve the App store issue.
Steps related to EFI Studio are what I clearly was missing in my prior attempts.

I managed to get all my other drives back by removing npci=0x3000 flag. I think Stork was the one to point out somewhere in this forum that Multibeast no longer uses the flag. It did the trick.

Now I'm back to 2 issues only - SOUND and BlueT.

Thanks again,

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
Graphics
Gigabyte 980ti GTX
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Centris
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
  9. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Sweet!

Thanks for the info.

Just remember folks, write down or screenshot your current network info if you use a static IP and/or custom DNS... all of that will be removed and you'll need to manually add your network devices (and setup) again.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Nice!! This is the only thing that has worked for me concerning the App Store/iCloud issue. A little confusing but I managed to get through it even though I did not do the xCode option as it is too big of a download considering my severe bandwidth cap. Still an excellent writeup for this problem...........Thanks

Motherboard
GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi and thanks for this thread. I kind of followed the instructions. Once I rebooted and went back into Network there wasn't an ethernet device to pick from. There was a WiFi option which I enabled and I now have WiFi connection working and can access App Store OK now.

But I'd still like an ethernet connection. Any hints on how to get the option show up in the Network section of System Preferences. I'm using GA-B75M-D3H mobo with the TP-Link 4800 WiFi card.

Also can't get USB3 to work - I've added the option in MB - but that's for another thread.

Cheers,
Vaypers

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H / HM55-MXM
CPU
Intel Core i3 and i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you very much.

FYI, you told to remove "NetworkInterfaces.plist" & "com.apple.network.identification.plist" from "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" but, on my configuration (Mavericks), it seems that the file "com.apple.network.identification.plist" had been replaced by "com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist".

Regards

Motherboard
intel DH77EB
CPU
i3 (3220)
Graphics
NVIDIA GT610
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
HOW TO: Resolve the &quot;An unknown error has occurred&quot; in the App Store and Resolve Issues with iCloud, FaceTime, &amp; Messages

After i do this all steps.... i can't connect internet through iphone tethering via usb. how to get back usb tethering.

- - - Updated - - -

After i do this all steps.... i can't connect internet through iphone tethering via usb. how to get back usb tethering.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost x2
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After doing this, how can you regain ethernet access, assuming you clear all of your devices and don't restore them outside of "System Preferences"? In my case, I have dual ethernet ports I'd like to use again. Despite having wifi access, it frequently goes down at my school, so two or even three constant connections are favorable; especially when working on an online document for class.

Motherboard
Yosemite
CPU
i5 4670 3.4 GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2047 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for this Guide. I followed it step by step and the issue got resolved. However, after a reboot, the device-properties entry disappeared from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and I have the same issue again. I tried to redo all the steps, but EFI Studio throwing an error:

Device path not found !
Ethernet not available on this machine

Can you please help me with this?

Motherboard
intel
CPU
core
Graphics
nv
Thanks for this Guide. I followed it step by step and the issue got resolved. However, after a reboot, the device-properties entry disappeared from org.chameleon.Boot.plist and I have the same issue again. I tried to redo all the steps, but EFI Studio throwing an error:

Device path not found !
Ethernet not available on this machine

Can you please help me with this?

Instead of doing all this I got my problem fixed by generating a new serial number to my smbios.plist. I used Chameleon Wizard to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.