1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Here is a quick pic on the main headaches or removing the top shelf in a G5 case.

G5selfremoval1.JPG

Here you can see the "c"-clip close up

IMG_5846.JPG

Ok here is the back side of the side panel locking tab, you can see the pressure clip nicely seated in place.

IMG_5857.JPG

There you just take that screw driver and nicely pop it out of place, safety glasses on I hope!

IMG_5859.JPG

So now you can just slid that tab right out with no worries. Keep in mind what direction you they point, you can put them on backwards and then you'll be trying to figure out why your case panel doesn't latch lol

IMG_5863.JPG

These are the two pieces out and about

IMG_5864.JPG

Now once you remove these items you then just need to remove all the screws that hold it on the back side of the case.
Once those are done it will take a bit of maneuvering to then jockey the shelf out.

IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5839.JPG

Be sure to have all items in and around the case unscrewed or if possible removed. So pull the DVD player out and unscrew the HDD rack as well and of course this shelf removal can only be done with the main hardware already removed.

IMG_5853.JPG IMG_5851.JPG

And there you go,
Updated 10th of August 2017 :)

Last edited:
Now all I need is your special secret on how to get the "C-clip" back ON!! Oh, man...this is a beating! :banghead:

Regardless, thanks for this excellent how-to post...it is SPOT-ON!! :thumbup:

:headbang:

Thanks and your welcome!

I set the "c" clip on the arm of the latch and then using a small flat headed screw driver I push it back onto the pin.
If your having issues with the "c" clip staying in place use a piece of clear tape over it all and pop in back together.

Awesome pictures so so helpful, thank you!!! But, fyi, the main retaining nuts on the support bar are not T10 fit, they are actually HEX head 3mm. If you use a T10 there is the chance you could lunch the driver or the nut.

I was removing them today, and although the other case screws, and in fact the nuts holding the shelf to the back panel are TORX, the nuts holding the latch mechanism are 3mm hex.

:)

What if... "hypothetically" someone was doing this and the c clip went flying and was never heard from again despite a substantial search? Any suggestions on replacements?

Very clutch. Thanks!

Order an extra one for me, will ya? My computer workbench is the wet bar at my house. Of course mine went flying & ended up going down the drain of the sink sitting 6" away from my G5 case LOL
:banghead:

BoomR,
Might be worth getting out the plumber's wrench and opening the drain trap up to see if it's in there. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back