Contribute
Register

How To Remove The G5 Upper Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dito!

The clips look like they are temperature-clinged on or something. I was afraid of wrecking the who thing. Surprisingly easy to remove once you know how :)

(hope I can get it all back in later)

It took me 3 hours to remove this upper shelf... it was driving me crazy.

What I did:
  • Removed the 6 screws, marked yellow at post #1
  • Removed the 3 black pressure clips with a small flat screw driver
    • Removed the 3 metal locking tabs that holds the door in place
  • At this point I grabbed the long light gray plastic element at the end where you have the CD/DVD drive, and with appling force, a little bending, you can pull it off from the screws one-by-one. So basically I skipped disassembling the "C clip region". I still cannot figure out how did you guys managed to remove the pin around the "C-clip"...

It took me 3 hours to remove this upper shelf... it was driving me crazy.

What I did:
  • Removed the 6 screws, marked yellow at post #1
  • Removed the 3 black pressure clips with a small flat screw driver
    • Removed the 3 metal locking tabs that holds the door in place
  • At this point I grabbed the long light gray plastic element at the end where you have the CD/DVD drive, and with appling force, a little bending, you can pull it off from the screws one-by-one. So basically I skipped disassembling the "C clip region". I still cannot figure out how did you guys managed to remove the pin around the "C-clip"...

Just finger nail on one side and flat blade screwdriver on the other and push the C-Clip off the pin. I’ve done 3 and none very tight (it’s only a thin and small C-Clip). The grey rail just drops off once all fasteners are removed.

Just finger nail on one side and flat blade screwdriver on the other and push the C-Clip off the pin. I’ve done 3 and none very tight (it’s only a thin and small C-Clip).
What is the connection between the small thin C clip and the gray plastic rail? As I examined, these two parts have absolutely no effect on each other.

The grey rail just drops off once all fasteners are removed.
Definitely not on my G5 case. So I was able to remove the small "C-clip" but cannot push the pin out, that was my problem.. :)

Last edited:
The groove the C-clip hooks into can catch on the two nylon washers as you push the pin out (into the case). Just waggling the pin sorts that out. The pin connects the rear catch to the plastic rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back