Contribute
Register

How to Prepare for Big Sur

If BigSur has been developed to better work on the new ARM processors, most of the actual "non-Apple" software should run in emulation with Rosetta 2. Is upgrading really worth?
Or better staying with Catalina forever?

better staying with Catalina
I would stay with Catalina for at least the next 7-9 months and then decide after that. Other than the new look iPad like GUI not much is new for Intel Macs. All the dev work went into the Apple Si version of Big Sur. We know there will be no touchscreen capable Macs so even that isn't an option for us on our hacks, without jumping through many hoops anyway.

Last edited:
Are there any quirks/settings or other things we should care about when moving from a working Catalina System ?

Also if making a new serial, make sure it's valid but not registred to a real Mac or bad things usually happens (unless it's your own?)
Why, could you explain. I've read many people recommend invalid serial to avoid clashes with real Mac in future.
Is a valid serial a mandatory for success - I mean iMessages, iCloud etc

If BigSur has been developed to better work on the new ARM processors, most of the actual "non-Apple" software should run in emulation with Rosetta 2. Is upgrading really worth?

I think you got that confused.

Rosetta is for ARM HW to run x86 software. Your Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO is not ARM and you have zero business with Rosetta.

ARM-powered Macintoshes will run everything in native code, especially Apple's own apps. What will be emulated is third-party software which hasn't been updated for ARM yet (most of the apps, admittedly: but considering how well Rosetta 2 performed with Maya...). For your hackintosh, nothing's changing: you'll still be running the same Intel x86 programmes. macOS Big Sur's revolution is more ideal than practical: aside from the GUI, there isn't much in the way of novelties.

Also, the statement about Big Sur being "optimised for ARM" is misleading. Apple simply ported the OS to its ARM CPUs: the fact that their performance is amazing has little to do with Big Sur per se. Of course, it's likely they will introduce some ARM-exclusive features or enhancements in the near future, just like it happened with Snow Leopard: but that's not the case, at least for now.

Last edited:
cool post,im thinking to update to Mac Big Sur in a few weeks.

Am I able to update from Mojave to Big Sur through Software update? I'm using iMac 18,1 system definition. Is there anything I need to do to prepare besides updating to the latest Clover?

I am always installing a fresh update from an USB-Installer and then migrate the Data from a backup.

Back