Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have never been able to get my sound working properly. According to my DSDT, I have an ALC889. However, according to my owners manual and multiple online sources, my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R Rev 1.0 has an ALC889a. Because I don't have an ALC889, the MacOS does not recognize it, in fact according to the System Profiler, I have an ALC885, but it is not really recognized (I guess thats just a default fall back that the system expects should be there). If I install the Chimera ALC Audio, including the HDA Rollback and all of the non DSDT patches, then the sound will work, though it is still not recognized properly. This problem has become more apparent when I tried to unsuccessfully install Lion. Sound just would not work at all.

So my question is, can anyone explain to me how to properly patch my DSDT to recognize the audio as ALC 889a. If I have to use KEXTs as well that is fine, I just need the audio to be recognized as what it actually is. Any guides I found on similar line usually ended in failure, and were so poorly written as to not be able to really follow at all.

I think that a list of the the proper DSDT patches for different audio codecs needs to be assembled. Basically what I'm aiming for is that someone could just replace the original DSDT AZAL or HDEF code with the proper code to get fully working sound in a more vanilla way. But I don't know enough about how proper ID codes and layouts are created to do that.

Ok, I was able to find direction on how to patch my DSDT file to properly support Audio. Apple System profiler recognizes the audio as ALC 885, but everything seems to work. Even my mic in line is working, something I never could get working before.

However, as soon as I patched the DSDT and got Audio working, by quartz support also went away. I'm guessing something in the DSDT is clashing with the video card support. Now I will need to track that down or generate a new EFI string.

Well, found the advanced DSDT edits blog, and it answers my question. Thanks all who helped create such a useful resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back