Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.7 > 0.8.8 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that seemed to be the issue. Apparently, you can't just make a text file into a hidden system file by simply renaming it. So, I DL'ed the OC 0.8.8 Zip file, unzipped it, and copied over the .contentVisibilty file, replacing the one I created. I then rebooted and, voila! The EFI partition no longer appears in the picker. Now that that's fixed, I'm going to check my ScanPolicy to see if that is set correctly per @Nodarkthings . Thanks, @Feartech .
I created mine in a text editor and saved it as a hidden file (with the dot .) and that was all it took.

Well, that seemed to be the issue. Apparently, you can't just make a text file into a hidden system file by simply renaming it. So, I DL'ed the OC 0.8.8 Zip file, unzipped it, and copied over the .contentVisibilty file, replacing the one I created. I then rebooted and, voila! The EFI partition no longer appears in the picker. Now that that's fixed, I'm going to check my ScanPolicy to see if that is set correctly per @Nodarkthings . Thanks, @Feartech .
FWIW, my ScanPolicy is set to 3738371 on my main computer where there's no Windows installed and 0 on the one with Windows.
EFI won't show in both, I guess if not on the second one it's probably because the EFI partition is not called "EFI"... (I kept "NO NAME", as it was set by Windows)
Note that if you use OpenCore Configurator.app for setting the ScanPolicy, its labels are erroneous (and have been since forever...) as shown in the screen capture below (where I've put OC's Configuration.pdf in the background:
Capture d’écran 2023-01-05 à 11.18.09.jpg

I've used https://oc-scanpolicy.vercel.app/ instead for finding my adequate settings.

FWIW, my ScanPolicy is set to 3738371 on my main computer where there's no Windows installed and 0 on the one with Windows.
EFI won't show in both, I guess if not on the second one it's probably because the EFI partition is not called "EFI"... (I kept "NO NAME", as it was set by Windows)
Note that if you use OpenCore Configurator.app for setting the ScanPolicy, its labels are erroneous (and have been since forever...) as shown in the screen capture below (where I've put OC's Configuration.pdf in the background:
View attachment 561199

I've used https://oc-scanpolicy.vercel.app/ instead for finding my adequate settings.
Here what i have with OCC 2.63

capture 2023-01-05 à 17.29.17.png

Are we both wrong ? :crazy:

Here what i have with OCC 2.63

View attachment 561218

Are we both wrong ? :crazy:
Good if it works for you, but very strange...
I've checked multiple times across the years, included the latest version this morning and always have the same results... I can't figure out any reason why it's good for you and not for me (just because I'm French maybe? :lol: ), but whatever the reason for its inconsistencies, all that leads to one conclusion for me: I don't trust OCC for ScanPolicy! :mrgreen:

View attachment 561199

Well, for whatever reason, when I went to check my ScanPolicy setting in OCAT, it was set to zero. I then thought I'd set it to one but after saving and rebooting, the OC Bootpicker only showed my Windows 11 (which disappeared after the first boot), Reset NVRAM, and Toggle SIP partitions but NO macOS or Recovery partitions! Fortunately, I have a bootable Ventura backup NVMe on a PCIe card and used that to boot with its own OpenCore which got me back into my normal Ventura partition and EFI. But even after numerous tries at setting all sorts of different combinations of scan policy numbers, I STILL could NOT boot from that EFI - only the backup - even after setting it all back to zero. I still don't know what got borked but I ended up replacing my main EFI with the backup and that's what finally worked. So my definitely NON-empirical testing leads me to decide that using a .contentVisibilty file AND setting the scan policy to anything other than zero is what most likely caused the issue.

@Superbogey
Al least you have been able to recover yous boot.
I have .contenVisibility next to BOOTx64.efi in 2 macOS EFis and Im can boot both systems well without EFI entry in the picker.
I have 2690819 in ScanPolicy.
scanpolicy.png

Atapi must be bit 20 (100000) so the pic of @oli.mathieu seems to be right.
But I prefer https://oc-scanpolicy.vercel.app/ as @Nodarkthings.
Hi guys!
I've found the gist of why OCC behaves differently for me and for @oli.mathieu, my intuition was good: I've changed my system language and keyboard to English instead of French and bingo!
Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 00.15.47.png

Well, I don't know for you, but for me an app that gives a different value if you change the OS or KB language is not what I call reliable... :mrgreen: ;)

@Superbogey
Al least you have been able to recover yous boot.
I have .contenVisibility next to BOOTx64.efi in 2 macOS EFis and Im can boot both systems well without EFI entry in the picker.
I have 2690819 in ScanPolicy.
I had pretty much the same selections as you as well as different combinations of them but had no luck - even after deleting the .contentVisibilty file. Just glad I was able to use a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back