Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.1 > 0.8.2 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nodarkthings
You have already an excellent explanation from @Edhawk. This property is for picker rotation, to be the same as the one set in macOS. A few cases don't be able to get it but try what Edhawk says, probably it works.

I assume this question refers to a Hack and not a real Mac system.

That being the case this is what the Configuration manual says regarding the ForceDisplayRotation entry.

View attachment 551775

Assuming your system doesn't natively support Display rotation from boot:
  1. You might want to try enabling the DirectGopRendering entry in the UEFI > Output section.
  2. As well as the AppleEg2Info entry in the UEFI > ProtocolOverrides section.
Both are set as False/Disabled by default, as shown in the extract from the Sample.plist from OC 0.8.2.

View attachment 551776
Thank you both!
So I've set ForceDisplayRotationInEFI to 90, DirectGopRendering and AppleEg2Info to YES/True but I've got mixed results:
- the canopy picker is not rotated
- when I boot from my USB key, the White Apple is rotated right from the start
- when I boot from the internal drive it's just like before (White Apple rotated at half the progress bar)
The only difference I see is the boot-args -v keepsyms=1 on the USB key.

As for MacOS, I didn't expect it to work as it's a Mojave system.

The version of macOS you are running shouldn't make any difference. The entries are not restricted to any specific version, all that matters is that your system can implement the rotation, you could be running Snow Leopard for all the difference the OS makes to these bootloader entries.

From what you wrote I believe the Bootloader is not rotating the display, but once the graphics switch over the to OS the display is rotated as you want. Is that correct?

Ok another assumption, is that you have physically rotated your display 90° (portrait mode) and that is why you want to use this feature in OC. Is that correct?
  1. Does the Display (which make and model) offer you the option to rotate the displayed graphics, as well as physically rotating the display?
  2. Is there a setting in your display's "OSD Settings” (on-screen display settings) for rotating the display?
  3. Have you tried using that instead of the OC entries?

The version of macOS you are running shouldn't make any difference. The entries are not restricted to any specific version, all that matters is that your system can implement the rotation, you could be running Snow Leopard for all the difference the OS makes to these bootloader entries.

From what you wrote I believe the Bootloader is not rotating the display, but once the graphics switch over the to OS the display is rotated as you want. Is that correct?

Ok another assumption, is that you have physically rotated your display 90° (portrait mode) and that is why you want to use this feature in OC. Is that correct?
  1. Does the Display (which make and model) offer you the option to rotate the displayed graphics, as well as physically rotating the display?
  2. Is there a setting in your display's "OSD Settings” (on-screen display settings) for rotating the display?
  3. Have you tried using that instead of the OC entries?
Thanks for your support! :thumbup:
Both of your assumptions are correct.
It's an old VGA only monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 940N) connected through a Display Port>VGA adapter (I guess it might be the cause of the GOP thing not working...)
1. 2. and 3.: No rotate option in the monitor OSD but it's rotated physically and set to 90° in MacOS Display settings
I forgot to mention that even with your suggested settings, Hackintool shows NVRAM value ForceDisplayRotationInEFI <00000000>.
In addition I've tried GopPassThrough=Enabled to no avail.

It would be the cherry on the cake to have the picker rotated but of course it works without it. ;)

OK I think you are correct, the old Samsung only VGA display probably can't provide the rotation, so it doesn't occur till the OS takes control of the graphics.

Something you will need to live with I think, until you get a newer display that can provide the screen rotation as a native option.

OK I think you are correct, the old Samsung only VGA display probably can't provide the rotation, so it doesn't occur till the OS takes control of the graphics.

Something you will need to live with I think, until you get a newer display that can provide the screen rotation as a native option.
The strange thing is that -v makes rotating happen right from the start of the White Apple screen instead of only at half the progress bar without it...
Thanks anyway!

That is odd!

But then again this is a Hack we are talking about, so we should expect some things not to work as expected!

Bad luck for my Z68, but it's not OC, it's one of the updated kexts:
AppleALC-1.7.3-RELEASE.zip
WhateverGreen-1.6.0-RELEASE.zip
VirtualSMC-1.3.0-RELEASE.zip
Lilu-1.6.1-RELEASE.zip
Crashes and reboot quite immediately after the white apple starts. Verbose is not very talkative...
Works ok with the old ones.
I ain't got much time this week to spot which one is the culprit, but I'll let you know.
Crash fixed with AppleALC-1.7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back