Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.7.9 > 0.8.0 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this case SetApfsTrimTimeout=-1 TRIM is still enabled and working, so I think is better option if your system works like that. Am I right?
Yes. I agree. Even an OpenCore developer said that -1 is OK if the system works fine with it.

I invested in a good Plist editor and I pretty much follow your procedure. I usually start with the Sample.plist from the new release and just rebuild it from scratch using my old config.plist. I have an "SOP" checklist that guides me through each step that I have to take to customize the Sample to my custom. It takes longer, but as you say, it usually works each time, and in the end, it's faster than doing it incorrectly then trying to suss out the problem.
I use a similar process for OC version updates:

• I started with a fresh sample.plist,
• got my build to fullest functioning,
• reviewed entire config.plist for extraneous config and set aside a Gold config, by OC / macOS version.

Now when OC updates are released:

• Create a copy of Gold
• Run it through ocvalidate from the new OC release
• Correct the reported descrepancies

This gives me an on-the-street view of some of the features that come with the new release. Combining this info with Github release notes and vit9696 state of the union and updates are reliable and effective.

Plist editing is always a hazard for me and I've shot myself in foot a few times; ProperTree makes it easy to hit foot, but I have figured out how work with it nonetheless. I've learned to stay away from its "clean snapshot" feature because I don't understand how it's intended to be used and it rearranged my kexts in a bad way.

For macOS updates, I wait a week and reserve time for a headache, peruse the release announcement thread here, and start with a system backup. I always think about it in terms of "is this the last macOS update I've ever gonna do?" but I've only been at this hobby for the last year and writing was already on the wall.

Hackintoshers looking for the latest OC update yet again...
confused-vincent.gif

081 is out. What to do if anything about AllowNvramReset? (comet lake). The entry is no longer there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back