Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.7.6 > 0.7.7 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
@craighazan
You can try MacPro7,1 to see if the system works better. With MacPro7,1:
  • don't use AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext (obsolete)
  • use RestricEvents.kext
  • ofc serial numbers for MacPro7,1.
RX580 is your dGPU right? Forget ReBar feature in macOS. It exists but, with this card, performance increases very very little, almost nothing. Leave ResizeAppleGpuBars=-1 and ResizeGpuBars=-1. Or, if you want to have ReBAR in windows, enable it in BIOS and leave ResizeAppleGpuBars=0 and ResizeGpuBars=-1 (to avoid passing ReBAR values from mac to windows).

For the black screen, although it is not a boot arg defined for Polaris (RX580) you can try this boot arg: agdpmod=pikera. I guess you have Lilu and WhateverGreen, sure. Also, you can try different back graphics ports. And better using direct cables, not adapters.

@craighazan
You can try MacPro7,1 to see if the system works better. With MacPro7,1:
  • don't use AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext (obsolete)
  • use RestricEvents.kext
  • ofc serial numbers for MacPro7,1.
RX580 is your dGPU right? Forget ReBar feature in macOS. It exists but, with this card, performance increases very very little, almost nothing. Leave ResizeAppleGpuBars=-1 and ResizeGpuBars=-1. Or, if you want to have ReBAR in windows, enable it in BIOS and leave ResizeAppleGpuBars=0 and ResizeGpuBars=-1 (to avoid passing ReBAR values from mac to windows).

For the black screen, although it is not a boot arg defined for Polaris (RX580) you can try this boot arg: agdpmod=pikera. I guess you have Lilu and WhateverGreen, sure. Also, you can try different back graphics ports. And better using direct cables, not adapters.

Thanks!. I've removed that kext and updated RestrictEvents. Also another difference in the plist, In my iMacPro1,1 EFI I have UIScale under NVRAM set to <01>. Using the same setting in the MacPro7,1 EFI it returns an error. I removed it and OpenCore Validator reported no Issues. Snow Flake has the RX580, this build has the RX560, both Polaris cards I think.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.45.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.42.27 PM.png

@craighazan
UIScale property was before in NVRAM but now it has moved to UEFI >> Output. Delete the one from NVRAM and leave the one in UEFI >> Output. It has to do with 0.7.7 settings.

Note: it you change OpenShell.efi Name and Comment (not Path) to UEFI Shell, it displays its own shell icon in the picker.

I think I figured it out.
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 6.48.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 6.50.22 PM.png

Last edited:
*Please Delete*

Last edited:
It kind of worked, but after about a minute it would freeze then restart. I made the changes that miliuco and Edhawk suggested, but kept the npci=0x3000 arg and the UIScale in NVRAM, it got to desktop though. I attached my EFI below with SMBIOS info removed.
*Update, Changed the SMBIOS back to iMacPro1,1 and the same thing happened, will re check my EFI.
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 6.23.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 9.38.15 AM.png

Last edited:
I think I figured it out.

I downloaded Opencore-Validator from GitHub, but I can't figure out how to use it.

I tried opening a terminal and executing:

Code:
% cd Config-Validator
 Config-Validator % ls
LICENSE            README.md        Sources            Technical background.md
Config-Validator % cd Sources/Resources
 Sources/Resources % ls
AppIcon.icns        AppSettings.plist    Hero.aiff        MainMenu.nib        ocvalidate        script
Sources/Resources % ./script

Config Validator OpenCore 0.7.6
Drag config.plist file to verify it
Sources/Resources % script ~Desktop/EFI-OC-077-Boot/EFI/OC/config.plist
Script started, output file is ~/Desktop/EFI-OC-077-Boot/EFI/OC/config.plist

But now the config.plist has been modified (?) to a format that ProperTree can't read, nor TextEdit etc.

How is one supposed to use this tool? Nothing noted on GitHub like a README with directions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back