Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.7.3 > 0.7.4 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an idiot..:) Ran ocvalidate and everything checked out fine then somehow after that I deleted ACPI/path to SSDT-PMC.aml for native NVRAM in my config.plist. The system booted but acted strangely. Fixed it now and everything works fine.
Not idiot. Any one can do things like this :)
I had not read your previous post yet but I see you have solved the problem. Enjoy!

For config.plist, only those comments are added and their strings can be empty. Quite small changes this time.
Yeah, that kind of threw me when I ran OcValidate on my config and it only gave me errors on my UEFI-->Drivers entries but no suggestions as to what to fix.

Yes, you're right, it has been commented anywhere even by OC developers but it's hard to improve ocvalidate to give more info to fix errors. For now, info is enough to check the related section comparing the file with Sample.plist if required.

I am updating my Opencore from 0.71 to 0.74 on my Z97 old Hackintosh.

When I boot off the USB stick, on which I have put OC 0.74 and the update to config.plist, the Hack starts up the the OpenCanopy selector, and sees my disks. I boot off of my Catalina 10.5.6 SSD disk that just booted cleanly on OC 0.71 (many times since June) and the console starts to scroll. Just about where the loader appears to boot from the disk it freezes. Nothing else happens. I can then boot off the EFI partition on the SSD into Catalina using the OC 0.71 on its EFI partition.

I first I thought it was something to to with the SecureBootMode, which I have changed from Default to Disabled, but there is no difference; no successful boot in either case.

No idea what the problem is, and really don't want to go down the path of full debug of OC. Any suggestions? Attached is my config.plist (renamed and SMBIOS section deleted) and the boot verbose log from one of my last failing attempts. When I compare that log file with successful boots on OC 0.71 I don't see an obvious errors being reported.

Forgot to mention, that the 0.74 version passes the ocvalidate check and a manual review.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to bump this question:

Attachments

• config-Z97-Basic.plist
    33.4 KB · Views: 72
  • opencore-2021-10-17-200803.txt
    256 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
PlatformInfo >> Generic >> fixed a problem when installing Monterey developer betas by adding large BaseSystem support in AdviseFeatures property. There is no need to enable AdviseFeatures as all the macOS 12 compatible firmware versions have been updated FirmwareFeatures value. AdviseFeatures was a temporary solution to a specific problem and as of now it does not make much sense to be used. Perhaps, only on legacy Mac models if they prefer not to spoof their Mac model and use -no_compat_check boot-arg.
AdviseFeatures updates FirmwareFeatures (ExtendedFirmwareFeatures / ExtendedFirmwareFeaturesMask) with a new bit added: FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_LARGE_BASESYSTEM (0x800000000) - Without this bit, it is not possible to install macOS versions with large BaseSystem images, such as macOS 12.

I don't now if I understood correctly (English is not my native language), but I had issues with Monterey second stage install. During the install I got error trying to update firmware, until I put AdviseFeatures = true (the -no_compat_check boot-arg doesn't worked). I'm using MacBookPro11,4 since Catalina (this SMBIOS looks more suitable to my i7-4700MQ) and, of course, OC 0.7.4 and ./covalidate shows everything okay.

@ludufre
What OpenCore says is that AdviseFeatures can be false for most of us. Some people can have it true in legacy macs using -no_compat_check boot-arg. But if its working in your system, go on.

Hi! Thanks for your post helping update OC.

I updated from olderversion (0.6.9) and picker doesn't show. It just shows as a list (no Icons). And i guess what could i have wrong in my config.

I followed this guide:

Also tried PickerMode = External and PickerAttributes = 17 without success.

Hope someone can help. Attach my EFI.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 71
@ci2own
I can’t look at your efi (I’m not at home) but do you have downloaded the Resources folder from Acidanthera and replaced your current Resources folder with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back