Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.9 > 0.7.0 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the Catalina dark and light HDD icons, slightly different label on the disk images.

macos-catalina-dark-drive-icon.png macos-catalina-light-drive-icon.png
I have a ful set with the names on the images. If anyone is interested.

Still can't find the Big Sur icon.

Here are the rest to match the Catalina icons.

Attachments

• Icons Transparent Background.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 119

Attachments

• macOS 10.11-12 icons.zip
    685.6 KB · Views: 108
@Edhawk @Middleman
Nice icons! To be saved and complement GoldenGate acidanthera theme.
Stupid question (and probably NOT the thread to post this in, but) about OpenCanopy (I'm now on OC 0.7.1) and icons/themes. I've currently gotten the GoldenGate icons working in OCanopy but to update its look to match yours, do I just copy and paste your disk icons (or anyone else's) into the GoldenGate folder for example? Or do I have to make a new folder with a different name and then match that in the correct picker entry in my OC config.plist? Do the icon files themselves need to be renamed? I've googled OpenCanopy and can't find any kind of guide or tutorial covering it. Thanks in advance - and apologies if I should have posted this somewhere else.

That's not what they are meant or designed for. I use them in place of the the standard HDD icons provided in macOS. See the screenshot below for an example of how I use them.

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 14.09.00.png

macOS icon images used for clones of the different versions of the OS, on the desktop of one of my HP Server/hacks. The only one that won't take is the Cloned Catalina partition icon. For some reason it just refuses to apply the alternative icon.

Before anyone thinks to tell me how to do it correctly. I would confirm that I unlocked the Get Info padlock, and made sure I had full admin rights before trying to apply the icon. This worked for all the other partitions, except the Clone-Catalina partition.

To use them in OpenCore you would need to edit and rename the images to match the ones already in the /OC/Resources/image folder. There needs to be two of each image, one showing the icon selected, the other showing the icon when not selected. The images need to have a specific boarder, of a specific size and thickness to work correctly in OpenCore. Way more work than I am interested in undertaking.

That's not what they are meant or designed for. I use them in place of the the standard HDD icons provided in macOS. See the screenshot below for an example of how I use them.

View attachment 523937

macOS icon images used for clones of the different versions of the OS, on the desktop of one of my HP Server/hacks. The only one that won't take is the Cloned Catalina partition icon. For some reason it just refuses to apply the alternative icon.

Before anyone thinks to tell me how to do it correctly. I would confirm that I unlocked the Get Info padlock, and made sure I had full admin rights before trying to apply the icon. This worked for all the other partitions, except the Clone-Catalina partition.

To use them in OpenCore you would need to edit and rename the images to match the ones already in the /OC/Resources/image folder. There needs to be two of each image, one showing the icon selected, the other showing the icon when not selected. The images need to have a specific boarder, of a specific size and thickness to work correctly in OpenCore. Way more work than I am interested in undertaking.
Umm. I'm pretty sure they ARE intended for OpenCanopy. That's what started the whole thread - if you look near the bottom of @miliuco's OP, that screenshot is of the OpenCanopy graphic boot picker AND he discusses OpenCanopy flavours just above it.

Umm. I'm pretty sure they ARE intended for OpenCanopy. That's what started the whole thread - if you look near the bottom of @miliuco's OP, that screenshot is of the OpenCanopy graphic boot picker AND he discusses OpenCanopy flavours just above it.
I copy Apple.icns, Apple11.icns, Apple12.icns, etc., directly into the GoldenGate folder, replacing the default Apple.icns. In this way OpenCanopy shows them and thanks to the Flavours feature picks the appropriate icon for each version of macOS.
This is what the icons look like in the theme folder, after they have been converted with OpenCanopy Generator.
icons.png
Note: you know background is optional.

@Edhawk although the icons you have uploaded are made for the Finder, with chris1111's OpenCanopy Generator tool it is easy to convert them to the specific OpenCanopy format and put them in the GoldenGate theme folder as is.

Last edited:
Ok, first I have heard of Chris111's OpenCanopy Generator tool.

All I know is the images I provided are in PNG format and not icns format, so they don't work as they are in OpenCore.

Ok, first I have heard of Chris111's OpenCanopy Generator tool.

All I know is the images I provided are in PNG format and not icns format, so they don't work as they are in OpenCore.
Yes, it’s so. But Chris tool converts automatically to OpenCanopy format. So the images can be used in the Finder and the picker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back